• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NYRangers917

Oct 6, 2015
    Frederick, MD
    Hey all I've decided to take the plunge into stamp territory and have some cash saved for my first suppressor.

I know 5.56 will never get hollywood quiet but I'm looking to find something that may at least reduce me down to "wont piss off the neighbors" territory if thats possible. I've never heard one shot in person, and not sure if youtube does it justice.

My budget is $1100 including the stamp so i guess really $900 for the suppressor itself.

Whats good?

THanks

Edit: Been looking specifically at the Silencerco Saker lineup. any good?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    If you only get 1, get a .30cal. They're quieter and more useful on a wider variety of hosts.

You will be happy with any from a reputable manufacturer, Titanium is great but seriously buy what's on sale if you are not already wed to a brand.

I personally like Silencerco and Dead Air, I already have guns with thier mounts so it makes sense for me to stick with them. Silencerco has also demonstrated great customer service to me and that is worth a lot.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If you only get 1, get a .30cal. They're quieter and more useful on a wider variety of hosts.

You will be happy with any from a reputable manufacturer, Titanium is great but seriously buy what's on sale if you are not already wed to a brand.

I personally like Silencerco and Dead Air, I already have guns with thier mounts so it makes sense for me to stick with them. Silencerco has also demonstrated great customer service to me and that is worth a lot.

I agree with getting a .30 cal. You have a MUCH more diverse can. You could consider the Silencerco Hybrid.

https://www.silencershop.com/silencerco-hybrid-46.html

sasd18

Oct 29, 2017
    I have an SDN-6. It’s an older design. But works great. It’s a little heavy but it helps with recoil. About 300$ cheaper than your budget if you wanted to spend a little less.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    I'll second - for your first, you should consider a 30 cal can although whatever you do, don't rush to a decision. There's a number of excellent cans out there. Start by reviewing manufacturer (I prefer the big three Silencerco, Dead Air, Rugged), warranty (sh_t happens), build material/durability, weight, mounting options (can't stress enough), and how effective is the can. There's naturally a balance between all factors however remember on a 5.56 - the bullet will break the SB, meaning it won't be super quiet. The can simply tames the 5.56. There's a good chance you pickup a 300BLK at some point down the road.

Also - just remember, you're going to receive lots of opinions, with some of it outdated. Make your own decision.

As for the Silencerco Saker - I have a first generation one and love it. It's a great durable, adaptable and effective can from a good company - and honestly I've been contemplating another. The gen 2 30 cal Saker is a little longer than the gen 1. Also, you'll probably hear at one time Silencerco was in financial trouble - and that might have been true ~3-4 years ago, but no more and their customer service is great. Call any of these manufacturers and ask a couple questions, just to reassure yourself.. A can is generally a lifelong purchase.

Also - think about the individual versus trust debate.. I started individual and but shifted over.. Once you pickup your first can, a disorder starts and most can't stop at one...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I went with ThunderBeast.

Mainly because of no change in point of impact for my .308 bolt gun.

And I can used them across several rifles. I have two .30 cal cans.

They thread to a TB muzzle brake or flash suppressor. I have muzzle brake on my .308 bolt. And flash suppressor mounts on my ARs

Waingro

Apr 4, 2018

100% agree

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    https://osssuppressors.com/suppressors/helix/#hx-qd-762-ti

If you are shooting semi and/or full autos... ie any type of automatics and not bolt or pump guns... All other answers are wrong... the future is hear... the choice is clear. I rarely make a statement like that, however after shooting them, I sold off my Silencerco Omega at considerable loss (I bought it as last suppressor I would ever need) and bought one! It will take a while to get here, however I have shot them enough to know... it is the answer, even if you have not asked the questions.

I have a good friend with a Saker, he bought an OSS at the exact same time as me. Its that superior and both of us like Silenerco products with each of us only at least 3 of their suppressors and I have the Maxim 9 at the dealer with this OSS.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    https://osssuppressors.com/suppressors/helix/#hx-qd-762-ti

If you are shooting semi and/or full autos... ie any type of automatics and not bolt or pump guns... All other answers are wrong... the future is hear... the choice is clear. I rarely make a statement like that, however after shooting them, I sold off my Silencerco Omega at considerable loss (I bought it as last suppressor I would ever need) and bought one! It will take a while to get here, however I have shot them enough to know... it is the answer, even if you have not asked the questions.

I have a good friend with a Saker, he bought an OSS at the exact same time as me. Its that superior and both of us like Silenerco products with each of us only at least 3 of their suppressors and I have the Maxim 9 at the dealer with this OSS.

Curious as to what you like about it? I was initially intrigued but the testing I’ve seen doesn’t seem to bear this out.

https://www.silencercentral.com/blog/we-tested-27-rifle-suppressors-heres-what-we-found/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Curious as to what you like about it? I was initially intrigued but the testing I’ve seen doesn’t seem to bear this out.

https://www.silencercentral.com/blog/we-tested-27-rifle-suppressors-heres-what-we-found/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. I have a friend in Kansas with an OSS and he regrets the purchase. Ignoring everything, and it may have changed, this was the first suppressor that I can recall reading that it has a limited lifespan. Seeing and playing for a couple - I didn’t see a reason to pickup one (nor the scar 17S it was mounted to). Guess different strokes for different folks.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Just got an Omega 300 out of jail. Has the quick attach ASR mount with it. Have not tried it as of yet.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD

I had seen that test. I will say with all this sound testing... if you are shooting supersonic ammo, the little difference at the muzzle is a minimal thing to me. Its still loud! I will admit, that I don't shoot 300 BLK or any subsonic through it but if you do, I guess that might be a bit more to consider.

If you have an automatic (semi and/or full), most don't have quick or easy to change gas systems. No, if you have to have an Allen wrench on you, that sucks and is not fast! I know the first time I went to the range where I needed one, I forgot it and had a single shot gun. For me, one of the things I like least about shooting suppressors is the gas in the face. You have issues with the gas system...etc. Its a huge negative to me. The OSS nearly eliminates this. We had an early version of the OSS on a PTR32 (7.62x39) being shot at our FA shoot in FA by a MDS member here. It sold the first one of us. He bought one and then 3 of us where shooting his OSS on a M16. All three of us came back and ordered OSS suppressors within a month. Its just so much better being able to eliminate this huge issue of crap blowing back. For a few dBs, its well worth it. Your gun will work better, you will enjoy it more. Screw these adjustable gas systems, drop the can on and off at will. I have a M1A, now I can suppress that....etc.

I mean its still not perfect... and frankly I still don't know I really think I would suggest a rifle caliber suppressor to most. A 9mm and 22LR suppressor are certainly more fun. However I have become an OSS believer and trust me, I did not want to be. I have an Omega and I did not want a new suppressor. They sold me on it by its far superior performance. If you don't like gas in the face. You don't like what its doing to your gun with more gas going into the gas system or dealing with Adjustable gas blocks.... its a huge leap in the right direction. Its enough that I now consider any none flow through designs obsolete.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    i went with a "Q: Thunder Chicken" ... 199 days ago. I called them and it's "about a 10 month wait time"... before covid issues..

that being said. it'll only take longer if you dont buy/apply.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I had seen that test. I will say with all this sound testing... if you are shooting supersonic ammo, the little difference at the muzzle is a minimal thing to me. Its still loud! I will admit, that I don't shoot 300 BLK or any subsonic through it but if you do, I guess that might be a bit more to consider.

If you have an automatic (semi and/or full), most don't have quick or easy to change gas systems. No, if you have to have an Allen wrench on you, that sucks and is not fast! I know the first time I went to the range where I needed one, I forgot it and had a single shot gun. For me, one of the things I like least about shooting suppressors is the gas in the face. You have issues with the gas system...etc. Its a huge negative to me. The OSS nearly eliminates this. We had an early version of the OSS on a PTR32 (7.62x39) being shot at our FA shoot in FA by a MDS member here. It sold the first one of us. He bought one and then 3 of us where shooting his OSS on a M16. All three of us came back and ordered OSS suppressors within a month. Its just so much better being able to eliminate this huge issue of crap blowing back. For a few dBs, its well worth it. Your gun will work better, you will enjoy it more. Screw these adjustable gas systems, drop the can on and off at will. I have a M1A, now I can suppress that....etc.

I mean its still not perfect... and frankly I still don't know I really think I would suggest a rifle caliber suppressor to most. A 9mm and 22LR suppressor are certainly more fun. However I have become an OSS believer and trust me, I did not want to be. I have an Omega and I did not want a new suppressor. They sold me on it by its far superior performance. If you don't like gas in the face. You don't like what its doing to your gun with more gas going into the gas system or dealing with Adjustable gas blocks.... its a huge leap in the right direction. Its enough that I now consider any none flow through designs obsolete.

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts. I have a Rugged Razor that lives on my 5.56 SBR HD gun almost exclusively so have been shopping for another .30/5.56 suppressor. Razor is perfect for that application and I've found that the Radian Raptor SD handle keeps the gas out of the face almost entirely. That said, the chamber is absolutely filthy after one mag so the different design is appealing. I wish there were some way to test them before committing.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    SilencerCo Omega 36M will prob give you the most versatility.

Before I knew much, I purchased a SilencerCo Saker 556 for my Mk18. I love it - built like a tank and really tames things, but it would be nice to have the option of moving it to my handguns or 308 hunting rifle. If you are sure that it is dedicated for 5.56 or below, then a can optimized for 5.56 will provide the best sound suppression.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have a Rugged Radiant 30 cal in jail; Other than get a 30 cal, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. Size, weight, material, cost, customer service, all vary, and there are trade-offs. I'll defer to others for more detailed experience with specific products. Read the various threads here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom