• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I don't own any 80% firearms, but all this talk of 80% and LEOs getting all uppity when they understand you have firearms in your vehicle.
    Has me wondering wondering if people take their 80% builds to the range?
    What happen in a traffic stop and they "Hold" your firearms at the station until you provide proof of ownership??

Just curious,
    for me I am sticking with my FFL bought firearms for now,, way to many gray areas.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Why?

A person can legally purchase (using form 4473) a pre-1968 firearm that was made with no serial numbers.

It's 100% legal!

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Legal is legal, you can either hold the line and push back, or subjugate yourself out an abundance of BGOS. Keep it, shoot it, follow the law, and if you make all the mistakes required to get it seized, then a receipt, or pretty much any proof of ownership that would be sufficient for any other possession should suffice. Of course if you were stopped, searched, your property seized, and you are attempting to retrieve it, probably would want your Lawyer to be the one to present proof, regardless if it was an unserialized 80% or a firearm bought through an FFL.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    I know that somewhere here this must have been talked about ........ If your pulled over for a traffic stop and they ask if you have any firearms in the vehicle , They are fishing , Don't answer because it has nothing to do with the stop . Just keep asking if your free to go , over and over . Say Nothing , Take the ticket say Thank you and I'm I free to go .

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    I know that somewhere here this must have been talked about ........ If your pulled over for a traffic stop and they ask if you have any firearms in the vehicle , They are fishing , Don't answer because it has nothing to do with the stop . Just keep asking if your free to go , over and over . Say Nothing , Take the ticket say Thank you and I'm I free to go .

Having had this interaction more times that the next 5 people combined, for unknown reasons, my preferred response is, "Officer, you've got the wrong guy" in a king of bewildered tone. Also, If it seems a fairly savvy gentleman at my window, I may throw in a "I'm just a bottlecap"

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    I have a similar fear when transporting a suppressor for hunting. Best case if a cop sees a suppressor I am losing a few hours of hunting time, worst case i never see it again and have to pay for a lawyer. What I do is make sure anything that could hint that there is anything gun related is out of sight. All hunting gear is out of sight, under moving blankets. I check that all lights are working , and practice in my head "I dont answer questions, am I free to go".

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    or

Having had this interaction more times that the next 5 people combined, for unknown reasons, my preferred response is, "Officer, you've got the wrong guy" in a king of bewildered tone. Also, If it seems a fairly savvy gentleman at my window, I may throw in a "I'm just a bottlecap"

or a piece of lint

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I don't own any 80% firearms, but all this talk of 80% and LEOs getting all uppity when they understand you have firearms in your vehicle.
    What happen in a traffic stop and they "Hold" your firearms at the station until you provide proof of ownership??

Just curious,
    for me I am sticking with my FFL bought firearms for now,, way to many gray areas.

There is no gray area, there’s law abiding and not law abiding. How would they be “hold” your firearms because of a traffic stop? You coming from a range is not probable cause for a stop. How would they even know you had them unless you were stupid and consented to a search of your vehicle?
    Know your rights. NEVER waive your rights. Don’t live with BGOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Just curious,

Why would the police be looking at your properly stored firearms during a traffic stop? And why would they take them to verify ownership, WITHOUT probable cause?

I shake my head in disbelief every time this "scenario" comes up. You know why??? Because it really doesn't happen to legal gun owners doing legal things.

BGOS is alive and well in this state, and the STATE likes it that way.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I have a similar fear when transporting a suppressor for hunting. Best case if a cop sees a suppressor I am losing a few hours of hunting time, worst case i never see it again and have to pay for a lawyer. What I do is make sure anything that could hint that there is anything gun related is out of sight. All hunting gear is out of sight, under moving blankets. I check that all lights are working , and practice in my head "I dont answer questions, am I free to go".

No offense, but it is an irrational fear, brought about by BGOS. Why would you be stopped, speeding, moving violation, etc? None of those give them cause to search your vehicle.

If they ask about firearms, see the previous comments on how to answer/not answer. The best answer is none, but if you feel the need, then "there is nothing illegal in the vehicle officer, am I free to go".

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010

Just curious,

Where else ya gonna shoot them if you don't live out in the country! It's a legal firearm for Christ's sake. Either live in fear of "What happens in a traffic stop and they "Hold" your firearms at the station until you provide proof of ownership??" whatever the odds of that happening are or have the balls to stand up for your rights.
    There's already too many gun owners who give up rights over fear of exercising them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom