• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greg9781

Sep 25, 2020
    I just bought an AR from Hanover Armory. Does anyone have any experience with them? It seems well made. What are the best upgrades sooner than later?

Msteers

May 26, 2017
    Hard to say what "upgrades" you need without knowing your intentions with said tool.

Ive heard good things from Hanover Armory. Last i heard they use BCA barrels(subpar quality) and a few other lower cost parts. Should run reliably. Best thing to do is become familiar with the weapon and practice.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Use it for a while, think about what you don't like ergonomically (or functionally) and then upgrade from there.
    Then think about what you might want cosmetically/bling wise if anything.

Also what you intend to do with it helps, short range/home defense? target shooting? "competition" shooting? "status symbol"? etc

I "upgrade" to ambidextrous controls (charging handle and safety) and usually change out the grip to a Magpul MOE or MOE+ one for comfort on my own personal ones.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Greg not sure where you are shooting but check out a few clubs. The AGC isn’t far and you can see the 1 billion ways you can configure your AR and maybe try some different ones.

Check out Arlington RPC we have a 2 gun next Saturday. https://www.arlingtonrpc.com/

vipor5

Jul 9, 2020
    Maryland, Cheltenham
    Greg,

All the advice given is true. best upgrade you can get at this time is a lot off ammo and a lot of time at the range. Spend some time with other shooter and get thoroughly familiar with your rifle. You might just like it the way it is. Do not get caught up in the thought that every gadget you can buy is an "upgrade".

List uf things that might make your gun more enjoyable:

1. Some sort of Red dot sight. Allows you to learn more rapidly to shoot both eyes open and recognize designated point of impact more easily
    2. A quality sling. I prefer a 2-point.
    3. lots of ammo. Avoid Steel case unless you like replacing extractors. Steel case will work in a pinch.
    4. a convenient range with lots of good heated, like minded people to talk to. maybe you will find someone with a AR that has different attachments that you could feel, touch, look through etc. Avoid a sales pitch.

Good Luck and congrats on the new tool.

Greg9781

Sep 25, 2020
    Thanks guys. Great advice.

Ill check out the Arlington Club. It is about an hour from me but I have some friends in Nova.

Right now I've just been getting used to shooting it with the irons.. i did run out of 5.56 though! I thought I struck gold at 6am the other day when it popped up on Cabelas for $429 /1k ... ordered it and two days later got the cancellation email. Now Im staring at $750 if I want 1k... hoping it changes post election?

As for upgrades, charging handle sticks out to me as it feels flimsy and it is small to grab quickly. Any reccomendations?

tcc722

Jul 3, 2010
    PA
    Bcm gunfighter charging handle
    Geissele trigger, or larue mbt if you are on a budget

I'm guessing ammo will come back down summer/fall 2021 with trump win

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I just bought an AR from Hanover Armory. Does anyone have any experience with them? It seems well made. What are the best upgrades sooner than later?

Take it to the range and try it out before upgrading anything. Does it have iron sights and/or some sort of optic (scope or red dot)?

1. Pickup some 30 round magazines out of state. Reloading mags sucks and the more time you spend reloading the less time you have to shoot.

2. Red dot or holographic sight. You don't need anything super expensive but a decent one will cost $200+

3. angled foregrip and bcm gunfighter stock or similar

4. Better trigger and charging handle

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    IMO, I agree to shoot it stock and get used to shooting offhand.
    My favorite ARs have peep iron sights.
    One of my favorites, I have had since 2013 and have not touched the sights since then.
    First upgrade for offhand shooting is a better trigger.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Not referring to where OP bought his but there’s a lot of ARs floating out there that are thrown together with garbage parts. I would personally have someone look over it with a fine tooth comb, even if it ran me an extra $50 to a fellow forum member.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not referring to where OP bought his but there’s a lot of ARs floating out there that are thrown together with garbage parts. I would personally have someone look over it with a fine tooth comb, even if it ran me an extra $50 to a fellow forum member.

There are plenty of us out there who can do this. Great idea BTW.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Yep. OP, where do you live? Someone may step up and do it for nothing. I’m in Bel Air and would be happy to look at it. Just step into my shipping container....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom