• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tlino

I learn better hands on w
    Dec 28, 2014
    Frederick
    I just got a Polytech M14. Very nice. It has a lot of upgrades, including the bolt and bolt guts replaced with forged bolt and bolt guts to USGI Specs.
    It came with a 5 round mag.

I just bought two Pro Mag 10 round mags. I can hardly get these mags into the receiver, and they are even harder to remove. I have read that any USGI M14/M1a mag should fit.

Does anyone here have any experience with this issue? I searched and did not find any threads addressing this.
    Thanks

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    +1 Muleskinner

I've never used ProMag M-14 mags, but if they are like their other products, you'd do best to throw them away and buy decent mags.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    If you need a 3rd opinion, I agree with the others, Pro Mags are crap.

In my case I had 2 1911 mags that caused feeding issues and wouldn't drop free unless empty. The side walls were so thin & weak that the spring pressure deformed the feed lips, even with just a couple rounds loaded.

tcc722

Jul 3, 2010
    PA
    Usgi should work fine. I had the same issue with mine trying to fit some junk aftermarket mag. Usgi or cmi is the only way to go.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    How would one go about finding a poly tech M14? On the bucket list, haven't been able to track one down.

You could check m14forum. I used to be on there and it was a good place for m14s and other wood and metal guns.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I just got a Polytech M14. Very nice. It has a lot of upgrades, including the bolt and bolt guts replaced with forged bolt and bolt guts to USGI Specs.
    It came with a 5 round mag.

I just bought two Pro Mag 10 round mags. I can hardly get these mags into the receiver, and they are even harder to remove. I have read that any USGI M14/M1a mag should fit.

Does anyone here have any experience with this issue? I searched and did not find any threads addressing this.
    Thanks

If I'm not prying... what did your Polytech go for these days... with prices being on the move lately, I'm not sure what passes for market value any more.

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    Has the chinese stock been replaced with a usgi that has the cut-out on the oprod side? The usgi stock can be tighter and mags hard to insert and remove. Use different mags such as CMI or chinese that was mentioned eariler. The Chantilly show is the best place to get them. I don't know how well versed you are in maryland law. It' a common issue with the poly. Take it out of the stock and seat/remove the mag to see if it binds.

paperwork351

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    I recently got my Polytech from Armslist, check neighboring states and ask to meet at an FFL to do the transfer. They also appear on Gunbroker.

Also Pro-Mag is garbage.

tlino

Dec 28, 2014
    Frederick
    My problem sort of self corrected. I removed the stock and fitted the mags in the receiver with no stock. They fit nicely. When I reassembled it, the mags fit, but a bit tight. I don't know what happened.

As for why I used Pro Mags. I couldn't find any Check Mate mags. Every seller said they were out of stock. I'll keep trying to get better mags when they are available.

tlino

Dec 28, 2014
    Frederick
    Has the chinese stock been replaced with a usgi that has the cut-out on the oprod side? The usgi stock can be tighter and mags hard to insert and remove. Use different mags such as CMI or chinese that was mentioned eariler. The Chantilly show is the best place to get them. I don't know how well versed you are in maryland law. It' a common issue with the poly. Take it out of the stock and seat/remove the mag to see if it binds.

paperwork351

I should have read this before I wrote about how I "solved" the problem.
    Thanks

tlino

Dec 28, 2014
    Frederick
    How would one go about finding a poly tech M14? On the bucket list, haven't been able to track one down.

I found it on Armslist. It was in PA. I found a PA FFL who did the paperwork for me.
    I have seen them going for anywhere from $800 to $2000. All firearms are selling for higher than normal prices these days.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Interesting. I didn't realize the Polytech are not banned.

They have a lot of issues, you may want to venture over to warrilfes.com and read Walt Kukik's (Fulton Armory) various write ups on them. He does a good job identifying what to watch out for and how to correct it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom