• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    One was on sale at a local store so I snatched one up.

I put a cheap Leupold scope on it (one of the "bargain" versions from a few years ago). I took it to the range and really like it so far. I'll probably get a better scope for it because I want something I can shoot at longer ranges for Elk next season.

I know the criticisms about the model but I got it at a good price with a rebate.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I have the very same rifle with a synthetic stock. Be prepared to have your shoulder kicked to pieces when you shoot it often. It can be a painful rifle.

I equate it to the recoil of my M1895-34 Steyr Mannlicher's...

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i have an a-bolt in 30-06, synthetic stock. put a limbsaver recoil pad on it. recoil isn't bad at all. i haven't tried much ammo in it but it shoots around an inch with winchester deer season xp i got at walmart.

i had a tikka t3 in 300winmag and that thing kicked like a friggin' mule, maybe two. sold that and recently got a t3x in 300wsm. with an area419 hellfire brake and in an aftermarket mesa precision stock, it seriously doesn't kick at all.

def get the limbsaver for yours and if you can get the barrel threaded for a brake, you'll have a soft shooter. i know you never feel the recoil/pain in the field, but it makes sighting in and practicing much more fun.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    The crack of the 300wsm Browning A-Bolt is fricken LOUD without a muzzle brake. I can't imagine it with one. But yes, that would help with recoil.

I also had been wanting to fill the interior of the hollow synthetic stock with something heavy; the lightness of that hollow stock is a major contributing factor to its shoulder biting recoil.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    The crack of the 300wsm Browning A-Bolt is fricken LOUD without a muzzle brake. I can't imagine it with one. But yes, that would help with recoil.

yes would not want to shoot it without hearing protection. i just threw my elec muffs on before i took my shots while hunting.

but that goes with un-braked rifles also, they're all loud enough to cause hearing damage. i also throw on elec muffs before taking any hunting shots with those also.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    yes would not want to shoot it without hearing protection. i just threw my elec muffs on before i took my shots while hunting.

but that goes with un-braked rifles also, they're all loud enough to cause hearing damage. i also throw on elec muffs before taking any hunting shots with those also.

That’s why I am getting a 30 cal can. Often don’t have the ability/time to putting on hearing protection and just can’t comfortably wear it all day. Prefer not to get blasted 1-4 times a year even if I might still have 95% of my hearing by the time I am 80.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I have the very same rifle with a synthetic stock. Be prepared to have your shoulder kicked to pieces when you shoot it often. It can be a painful rifle.

I equate it to the recoil of my M1895-34 Steyr Mannlicher's...

Mine doesn't kick at all. I did put a Limbsaver on it but I didn't the first time and it wasn't bad then.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    i have an a-bolt in 30-06, synthetic stock. put a limbsaver recoil pad on it. recoil isn't bad at all. i haven't tried much ammo in it but it shoots around an inch with winchester deer season xp i got at walmart.

i had a tikka t3 in 300winmag and that thing kicked like a friggin' mule, maybe two. sold that and recently got a t3x in 300wsm. with an area419 hellfire brake and in an aftermarket mesa precision stock, it seriously doesn't kick at all.

def get the limbsaver for yours and if you can get the barrel threaded for a brake, you'll have a soft shooter. i know you never feel the recoil/pain in the field, but it makes sighting in and practicing much more fun.

A friend has the same Tikka 300 Win Mag and missed a nice buck this year.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa

I also had been wanting to fill the interior of the hollow synthetic stock with something heavy; the lightness of that hollow stock is a major contributing factor to its shoulder biting recoil.

Again...mine isn't bad at all...

and I did shoot it without my earphones today. Not recommended though.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I was curious about how accurate the rifle could be so I tried to zero it at 100 yards. It was a bit off to the left so I took a couple of shots to get it centered on the target. I got it right on center and about 2 inches high. I decided that I'd leave it there and take it hunting tonight.

I was going to take three shots and see how good the group was but the first two were almost touching. I had loaded 20 rounds and decided I'd keep the seven I had left for hunting. I had shot the rest the day before.

I took it hunting tonight and got a doe with it at about 200 yards.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Woah, I just picked up the same rifle. My nanosecond first thought was the stock needs help. Now I’m debating reloading this caliber?

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Woah, I just picked up the same rifle. My nanosecond first thought was the stock needs help. Now I’m debating reloading this caliber?

There are only two calibers I reload. One was for .50BMG and I still reload 300 WSM. Here is reloading data I compiled when I first started with it:

Capture.jpg

Handloads.jpg

Ready for another session at the range. My groups are incredibly tightened up, compared to factory ammunition:

IMG-0375.jpg

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    There are only two calibers I reload. One was for .50BMG and I still reload 300 WSM. Here is reloading data I compiled when I first started with it:

Capture.jpg

Handloads.jpg

Ready for another session at the range. My groups are incredibly tightened up, compared to factory ammunition:

IMG-0375.jpg
    Another Woah :) , good leap forward in both data and a nudge to get me to the reloading bench, Thanks willtill !

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa

I didn't need a Limbsaver and shot the doe off my shooting sticks. Worked like magic! :)

The cushion on the rifle is nice.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Thanks guys. Recoil cannot be too bad as this is one of my nieces (5’8” 101 lbs) rifles and she prefers the 338 WinMag REM 700 to the 300 WSM A bolt. ??
    Ok, I’m off to SGammo.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Thanks guys. Recoil cannot be too bad as this is one of my nieces (5’8” 101 lbs) rifles and she prefers the 338 WinMag REM 700 to the 300 WSM A bolt. ??
    Ok, I’m off to SGammo.

FYI- the load I used was the minimum load in the Hornady manual for 150 gr. Hornady SST bullets:
    61.4 gr. IMR 4350 powder.

I used this as a starting point for testing the accuracy of my new rifle at 100 yards. I'll have to test out a heavier load for use as a long range bullet for hunting in Montana or Colorado next season (hopefully).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom