• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Interesting trip today. I've seen deer come out into a plowed field from the other end about 500 yards away last week so I snuck up to the edge through some thick brush and set up near a small sapling in the brush. I had already blown out the deer by driving by about 20 minutes before sundown. I didn't see how big they were or if there was a buck with them. A couple of the does looked pretty big from my spot on the other side of the field last week.

Three small does came out after sunset about 200 yards from me which is about the middle of the field. I think the one I shot last week was with that group. They kept walking to the other edge of the field across from my spot. About ten minutes later about 20 does came out of the trees one by one. They were walking across the field and headed for a big plowed field on the other side of a dirt road. They were all about 30 yards from where I set up. They could see me if they were concerned but kept walking. They started going up a path to the other field but started running back. Either they caught my scent or they saw my truck which was parked on the dirt road. There was only a light breeze which was blowing from behind me and to my left. They didn't run back into the woods but stayed on the field.

All of the does were about the same size and none looked like the big doe I'd like to get next. I'm going to take my Ruger New Blackhawk .357 tomorrow and see if I can get one of them. I thought about bring my video cam along to record it.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Received my European Mount back from my buddy that does this on the side. I killed this deer last Tuesday 12/8/2020. One week from drop off to pick up.

Attachments

• 6FE42D40-AB11-4417-949A-0247427607EA.jpeg
      6FE42D40-AB11-4417-949A-0247427607EA.jpeg
      41.1 KB · Views: 292

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Speaking of European mounts; this is my 1st try at doing one on my own for my 10 year old boys deer. I didn't whiten it as much as I could because I thought it would make the skull look fake. He is getting it under the tree for Christmas.
    What do y'all think?

Attachments

• 20201213_165255.jpg
      20201213_165255.jpg
      64 KB · Views: 271

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Speaking of European mounts; this is my 1st try at doing one on my own for my 10 year old boys deer. I didn't whiten it as much as I could because I thought it would make the skull look fake. He is getting it under the tree for Christmas.
    What do y'all think?

I think it should take the place of the angel on top of the tree.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    What do y'all think?

Looks great!

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    What do y'all think?

Looks almost as good as the one my son did for me. Well, maybe yours is a little better. :) Your son will treasure it the rest of his life.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    What do y'all think?

Good job!

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Went back to the same spot as last night but decided to use my compound bow. A couple of does came out a few minutes after sunset. Then I saw just what I didn't want to see...a nice buck! He came out a little ways and stood broadside for about five minute- a perfect broadside shot at 140 yards if I had a rifle! Then he went ahead of the does and went towards the path to the other field. I thought I had a chance for a shot but didn't want to take one much over 30 yards. He got to about 40 yards but caught my scent and bolted back to where the does were standing about 60 yards away. I knew that was it for my chances tonight then a dork in an ATV came rushing into the field followed by a pickup. I had heard someone take a shot somewhere south of me about a half hour before so it was probably them.

I don't think they saw the buck and they went somewhere on the other side of the field. I'll bring my 300 Win Short Mag tomorrow night.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I tried a new tactic tonight. I used a couple of the Montana doe decoys. I put them in the middle of a plowed field where I've seen a lot of deer the past few nights. There was a strong south wind blowing from the decoys into the direction the deer had been coming from out of the woods.

Nada. LOL!

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Went to the same spot and a buck came out of the woods after sunset...

but it was only a six pointer. He was a big one though.

I kept my scope on him as he walked towards me. I thought he was going to walk right past me. I was hiding in the brush next to the field. I think I spooked all of the does. He went into the brush about 50 yards from me but he didn't know I was there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom