• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I have some new Winchester 7.62x39 brass and finally got all the Lee reloading dies I need to reload the ammo. I loaded 20 rounds using 150 gr. FMJ/BT Hornady bullets and test shot them today.
    The Hornady manual says that the OAL is 2.200 for that round and I got it to 2.210 but could not get it any lower. The rounds still shot OK so I tried to load some hunting rounds with Hornady 150 gr. SST bullets but could not get them lower than 2.260. I also tried Hornady 150 gr. GMX bullets with the same result.

I'll call Lee Monday morning about it.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    My firsthand experience reloading this caliber was to use factory OAL ammo as a baseline, which were about 2.220-2.250", sampling out tula, wolf, hornady, s&b, and any other factory ammo I got at hand.

iirc, hornady sst (hornady black) were 2.245" oal, so it was pretty much at the range for this caliber.

I currently load cast bullets for 7.62x39 with a oal of 2.210, but I typically load max mag length/ogive engagement to the lands to dictate max oal for best accuracy. This is with a lee 311/160/2r cast bullet with a rather thick ogive.

I mainly shoot x39 out of my ruger american bolt gun though, but I think you're good if you don't see any notable pressure signs.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    I have some new Winchester 7.62x39 brass and finally got all the Lee reloading dies I need to reload the ammo. I loaded 20 rounds using 150 gr. FMJ/BT Hornady bullets and test shot them today.
    The Hornady manual says that the OAL is 2.200 for that round and I got it to 2.210 but could not get it any lower. The rounds still shot OK so I tried to load some hunting rounds with Hornady 150 gr. SST bullets but could not get them lower than 2.260. I also tried Hornady 150 gr. GMX bullets with the same result.

Check your seating die setup that you're not bottoming out on the case rim before the seating stem can seat the bullet deeper.

The usual setup is to run an empty case up into the backed out seating die at full press ram extension, then screw the die down until it touches the case. Then finally back off 1/2 to a full turn since you shouldn't need any crimp on that cartridge.

Then with the seating stem all the way backed out, seat a bullet and slowly adjust the seating stem down until you reach your desired COAL.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Check your seating die setup that you're not bottoming out on the case rim before the seating stem can seat the bullet deeper.

The usual setup is to run an empty case up into the backed out seating die at full press ram extension, then screw the die down until it touches the case. Then finally back off 1/2 to a full turn since you shouldn't need any crimp on that cartridge.

Then with the seating stem all the way backed out, seat a bullet and slowly adjust the seating stem down until you reach your desired COAL.

This, in case that isn’t how you were doing it. I don’t have that specific die set (though I was looking to get it and start x39 reloading.

You should have enough adjustment to see it several tenths of an inch too short. At least if it is like any of their other die sets I’ve used.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I've screwed the thing down all the way and it doesn't help. I've seen a guy on Youtube say that he had problems with the Lee set and will call them this week.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    My firsthand experience reloading this caliber was to use factory OAL ammo as a baseline, which were about 2.220-2.250", sampling out tula, wolf, hornady, s&b, and any other factory ammo I got at hand.

iirc, hornady sst (hornady black) were 2.245" oal, so it was pretty much at the range for this caliber.

I currently load cast bullets for 7.62x39 with a oal of 2.210, but I typically load max mag length/ogive engagement to the lands to dictate max oal for best accuracy. This is with a lee 311/160/2r cast bullet with a rather thick ogive.

I mainly shoot x39 out of my ruger american bolt gun though, but I think you're good if you don't see any notable pressure signs.
    I have a Sierra bullet manual also and it also says the OAL is 2.220.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    If they fit in the magazine, aren't you ok?

I thought as far as the chamber is concerned, a bullet seats on the ogive so OAL doesn't really determine that.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    A safety note:
    Overall length of some specific bullets may place other bullet types against the rifling and raise pressures, sometimes drastically. This is due to variations in ogive length and shape.

This is why you will see varying overall lengths for different bullets in the same cartridge. They ALL have to be short enough to clear the magazine, but the bullet shape and ogive length must also be considered.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I've screwed the thing down all the way and it doesn't help. I've seen a guy on Youtube say that he had problems with the Lee set and will call them this week.

Are you sure the die body is adjusted properly FIRST?

THEN you adjust the seating stem.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I'm going to try to return the die set. I'm going to buy a Hornady set because there's a video of a guy loading .308 bullets into 7.62 x 39 cases.

Will the Hornady dies work in my Lee Hand Press?

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    I'm going to try to return the die set. I'm going to buy a Hornady set because there's a video of a guy loading .308 bullets into 7.62 x 39 cases.

Will the Hornady dies work in my Lee Hand Press?

I have a lee x39 die set and it sized just fine. In fact, I have even sized steel cases out of it, but I had to really bottom it out due to steel cases having a stiffer springback.

Die sets are typically universal and should work with the lee hand press. My experience with sizing with the hand press properly has been a struggle with anything larger than a 223. Have you tried sizing it on a bench press?

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I have a lee x39 die set and it sized just fine. In fact, I have even sized steel cases out of it, but I had to really bottom it out due to steel cases having a stiffer springback.

Die sets are typically universal and should work with the lee hand press. My experience with sizing with the hand press properly has been a struggle with anything larger than a 223. Have you tried sizing it on a bench press?

I've loaded about 10,000 rifle bullets of bigger calibers than 223 with my Lee Hand Press. No problems with any of them.

Halfdollar86

Nov 4, 2021

I have the same issue with Lee 7.62x39 dies when trying to seat 123 SST. I called Lee and they see this issue a lot apparently. They said the steep ogive of that bullet goes to deep into the seating stem and I needed to cut a 3/8 inch wood dowel 1/4 inch long to get the adjustment I need. I rather just get another set and not Jerry rig a die set. But yet here I am cutting a dowel now just to see how accurate of loads it will make. I still think I’ll get another brand.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I have the same issue with Lee 7.62x39 dies when trying to seat 123 SST. I called Lee and they see this issue a lot apparently. They said the steep ogive of that bullet goes to deep into the seating stem and I needed to cut a 3/8 inch wood dowel 1/4 inch long to get the adjustment I need. I rather just get another set and not Jerry rig a die set. But yet here I am cutting a dowel now just to see how accurate of loads it will make. I still think I’ll get another brand.

The bullet selection for 7.62x39 is less than ideal in the US. No manufacturer makes 122/123 grain bullets with an ogive anywhere close to what the commies use. This forces us to adapt our methods. Lee could sell a selection of seating stems for their dies but it is much more cost effective to cut the dowel.

Using 155 grain cast bullets, I have had no issues seating them. I would love to see someone start making some 123 FMJs for this caliber at a reasonable price for those of us that do not hunt. I hate using expensive bullets to put holes in paper. My toys, especially the SKS which slugs @ 0.314", do not warrant them and perform well enough with cheap bullets.

Even using cast bullets and pre-plandemic primers, it costs $.31 per round to load. Since the accuracy out to 100 yards with this load is pretty good, it is worth the expense to me.

Hoping that some day surplus again becomes plentiful and cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom