• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    Guys I could use some input here. I'm going around in circles on this, ive got a 12" 6.5 grendel upper that I built to be a walk around in the wood deer slayer. Light and quick with more umph then a 556 but more range then my 300aac if needed.

I reload so my rounds can and will be tweaked to perfection, but I'm torn on if I should use something like a 3-9x40 and do a point blank zero.
    Or something like a 2.5-10 or LPVO and use an moa retical and then just use holds?

I have a go to optic for load development, but I'm just having a hard time on what direction to go in. Id like to stay 600 or under and I qualify for military pricing so leupold, vortex, burris always catches my eyed first.

Here's a quick copy and paste playing with strelok and what it crono'd and bullet info.

Yrs. Fps. Ft lbs. Drop inch MOA
    10.0 2236.5 1366.1 1.02 9.78
    60.0 2150.3 1262.8 -0.28 -0.47
    110.0 2065.9 1165.7 0.28 0.23
    160.0 1983.9 1074.9 2.87 1.71
    210.0 1903.9 989.9 7.68 3.49
    260.0 1826.1 910.7 14.88 5.47
    310.0 1750.0 836.4 24.69 7.61
    360.0 1676.2 767.3 37.36 9.91

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I would recommend something like a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6x MRAD.

second. I like that scope.

1x allows you to use it like a red dot, and 6x is pretty easy for 400y.

The only downside to THAT scope to ME is it's meant to be used for holdovers I think. Capped turrets. I'm not sure if the turrets can be set back to zero. I would look that up.

temccoy

Nov 13, 2020
    I have gone low power for hunting purposes, I find the wider field of view is more valuable than increased magnification. 1x 6 is probably perfect, make sure it is an illuminated reticle for those shots at dawn and dusk.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    second. I like that scope.

1x allows you to use it like a red dot, and 6x is pretty easy for 400y.

The only downside to THAT scope to ME is it's meant to be used for holdovers I think. Capped turrets. I'm not sure if the turrets can be set back to zero. I would look that up.

That scope might only be 1-6, but it's got a huge FOV, daylight bright dot, and is so bright and clear that you don't need much magnification to make hits. The turrets under the caps are marked, have a good click feel, good grip, and work well if you want to dial, but don't have a zero stop. Mine is awesome from basically 0-300 before you feel like more magnification could be useful, only shot to 400, but no problem hitting plates out there.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Realistically, these LPVOs are designed for holdover usage, not dialing. Very few LPVOs are really designed for dialing use at this point... if dialing is really an important thing to you, I'd probably pick the $600 SMRS 1-6.5x instead. Personally, I think holdovers are fine at the ranges that LPVOs are typically used at.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    With the discount its hard to beat a leupold vx3i for a hunting rifle where you want to save weight. I would opt for the 3.5-10x40 cds zl. I've never been in a situation hunting where 3x was too much magnification and it helps to have the higher magnification when you want to decide if that buck at 300yds is a shooter or not.

For a 12" Grendel, a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 is plenty for a max of 400yds.
    Spend the $150 on that and call it a day. People are overthinking this- there is no reason to purchase $500+ optics for a 12" barrel at relatively short distances.
    Caveat- I am of the school that anything over 16x makes me feel like I'm having a seizure. I don't care how still you can remain, if you're aiming at a 1000yd+ target, a 24x or greater scope is going to (visually) shake.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I don't care how still you can remain, if you're aiming at a 1000yd+ target, a 24x or greater scope is going to (visually) shake.

In general you're correct, and some days the mirage is too bad that you can't focus on a really high power.

Shooting off a SEB rest you'd be surprised how steady it is. And yes I know 99% of people won't or hate the idea on a shooting off something like that.

https://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/seb-neo-co-axial-front-rest/

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    That scope might only be 1-6, but it's got a huge FOV, daylight bright dot, and is so bright and clear that you don't need much magnification to make hits. The turrets under the caps are marked, have a good click feel, good grip, and work well if you want to dial, but don't have a zero stop. Mine is awesome from basically 0-300 before you feel like more magnification could be useful, only shot to 400, but no problem hitting plates out there.

Yeah it's a great scope. I usually like to dial in my shots though. Does this thing allow you to reset the turret to zero? I barely got to use it, but it didn't seem like it resets to zero with an allen key like most scopes. Not a huge deal for shooting .223 out to 500 though.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands

What’s a good price for one of these? Thinking of adding one to an lwrc di rifle.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    I ended up pulling the trigger on a primary arms FFP 4-16 Moa2 retical. It went on sale, I can make a dope card for drop in moa and either dial or use holds on the retical.
    So far ive been impressed by every primary arms optic ive purchased.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I would recommend something like a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6x MRAD.

+1 on the Viper PST Gen II. I would prefer 2-10x. It’s a great optic. Don’t get me wrong I have a Gen I 1-4x and I was dinging steel at 400-500 yds at Mayberry but the reticle was almost as large as the plate at that distance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom