• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've owned this property for 10 years and have lived in the neighborhood 13. First time we've had visual confirmation. Seen them down the road and have heard them in the past. This is right in the corner of my horse pasture where I shot the 8pt on November, only 50 yards from my chickens and ducks.
    3baa11c8f174931850a2674f2238b08f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That's a healthy male there.

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    My only hope is that maybe he gets the mangy fox I keep failing to get a shot on.

Which county are you from? I live near the Carroll/Frederick line for the past 8 years and finally got pics of yotes last fall for the 1st time, but knew they've been around longer.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Which county are you from? I live near the Carroll/Frederick line for the past 8 years and finally got pics of yotes last fall for the 1st time, but knew they've been around longer.
    Harford. I know they've been around. We've spotted them couple of miles away before, but this is the first "incursion". I pretty much have year round surveillance on my property, so I've always been confident if they got close I'd catch a picture.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I hunted once on APG and after the hunt me and my host heard a great coyote howling as we were preparing to leave. They must've made a kill out there.
    I used a rabbit call in my blind and a few minutes later heard coyotes running around the back of my ground blind but I didn't want to end my deer hunt so I didn't open the back openings.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I hunted once on APG and after the hunt me and my host heard a great coyote howling as we were preparing to leave. They must've made a kill out there.
    I used a rabbit call in my blind and a few minutes later heard coyotes running around the back of my ground blind but I didn't want to end my deer hunt so I didn't open the back openings.

The coyotes probably ended that hunt for you, unfortunately.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Got out this morning until the rain hit. Didn’t take a shot at anything, could have done so multiple times. They were stirring about, saw 17 total. 4 were bucks, maybe next years targets. Got to watch two of them, a 6 point and a 5 point sparring. Then 3 of the 4 bucks decided to bed down all within 80 yards of me and stayed for an hour. Also saw two red Foxes. Pretty interesting morning.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I went tonight looking for a sika.
    Seen 4 Wt does.
    It was so windy, they were tearing around the field like a bunch of rabbits at full speed.
    At first I seen two come out, back and forth into the wood line then after a awhile, they got bold enough to come out with another.
    Next thing I knew, there was another that ran over to them and I couldn't even tell where the hell it came from.
    It's blowing a gale outside right now.
    Maybe it will drop out tomorrow night just at dark.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I sat this morning and watched the squirrels as has become the usual. I'm going back to the neighborhood hunting spot for the rest of the year. At least I know there's deer there.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I wasn't going to mention this until I figured it out. I missed two does last Saturday with my ML. Finally got to the range today and discovered my gun was shooting 4" low at 100 yds. That's not good for heart shots. Going back out tomorrow...

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I wasn't going to mention this until I figured it out. I missed two does last Saturday with my ML. Finally got to the range today and discovered my gun was shooting 4" low at 100 yds. That's not good for heart shots. Going back out tomorrow...

I got one tonight and it was lower than what I was aiming. Missed one last weekend. I think I’m shooting low as well. Need to take it back out to the range.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I got one tonight and it was lower than what I was aiming. Missed one last weekend. I think I’m shooting low as well. Need to take it back out to the range.

Fixed it in two shots. Of course it's sideways...

Attachments

• 20201226_141752.jpg
      20201226_141752.jpg
      55.4 KB · Views: 217

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Now that Covid is out of our house cannot wait to get back in the woods and hopefully finish off the season productively. Had some issues with my ML as well and need to get to AGC Monday. Was having issues getting complete “combustion “ not sure if a primer issue, powder etc.. Really perplexed, cleaned really well, made sure the primer channel was clear and will give it a go. Never had an issue before.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It's usually stress that causes antlers to drop early. Wounds from fighting, gunshot wounds, arrow wounds, rutting hard and getting run down. I killed three deer one day in late gun season. They all had bad limps. I thought they were big does. When I went to gather them all up, I discovered they were all three 2yo bucks that had dropped their antlers already. Stress from wounds.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Another interesting trip: I sat at a spot near the corner of a cut soybean field in the tall brush. There were geese making a lot of noise and later a lot of shots that I think were shotgun shots at the geese before sunset. Deer started coming out of the corner of the field about 10 minutes before legal light ended. There was one doe who acted like the lead doe in the herd. She led the herd out and watched everything in the surrounding area like a hawk. She saw me moving to put my binocs on the herd of 11 but couldn't decide if I was a threat or not. She looked at me hard but gave up after awhile. I had on the HECS suit.

None of the does were the huge ones I was hoping for so I let them go. They ran back into the woods as I gathered my gear.

I'll harvest a couple before the seasons over to give venison to my friends and relatives in the remaining days.

hornbakerfella

Oct 6, 2016
    God's Country
    Silent morning out in Carroll Co. lots of activity on my camera, never when I’m here, but when the other half is out here they come out and she drops the her pick. She’s been steady adding to the freezer for her first season, I’m beginning to think the does are on her side

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    One doe down. I had jut gotten my gun up into my stand and had two does come in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom