• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Got a second one down. My buddy shot it first but too low. Brisket shot. She rad towards me and I put a double lung shot in her and she dropped in 10 yds.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Put a 8 point in the freezer last night. Had a little doe keep looking over her shoulder and acting funny. Mr. 8 came cruising in about 10 minutes later.

Love when they start acting a little goofy and looking off into the woods. Always fun couple minutes waiting to see what is going to appear. Some of the best moments in the woods.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Love when they start acting a little goofy and looking off into the woods. Always fun couple minutes waiting to see what is going to appear. Some of the best moments in the woods.

Last time I watched deer act like that... a goddamn cat ran them out of the field... A cat, I laughed, I don't like cats, but hell are deer that big of pussys?

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    It's been a long 3 years since I took my son on a youth hunt. We got back out to a coworkers family ranch today and we both bagged one. It's actually my first time hunting. The trip 3 years ago was for the kids.

Attachments

• 20201227_083720.jpg
      20201227_083720.jpg
      135.1 KB · Views: 212
    • 20201227_075511.jpg
      20201227_075511.jpg
      177.9 KB · Views: 222

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I was going to go back to the spot I went to yesterday to possibly harvest a doe. There had been light snow in the morning and I was afraid that it might make the dirt roads too muddy for my RWD truck. It wasn't bad so I drove down the dirt roads to the spot I park my truck at. There was another truck there so I asked the guy where he was hunting at. He said he wasn't hunting but was cutting wood with a power saw. What kind of dik would cut wood at the best hunting hour at a good hunting area? We only have four more days until the seasons over.

I moved to another area and just tried to see what I could see.

I went to an area where I had seen a nice buck last year and stood in the corner of a cut cornfield. Nothing showed after dusk then I saw something out of the corner of my eye as I was looking through the binocs. A young buck was just coming out of the wood line at the end of shooting light. He must've seen me move my binocs and ran a few yards back to the woods but stopped and watched me. I had the HECS suit on. He obviously didn't know what I was so I watched him for a few minutes. Finally I moved the binocs down and he went back into the woods.

I'm not shooting a buck unless it's a monster.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It's been a long 3 years since I took my son on a youth hunt. We got back out to a coworkers family ranch today and we both bagged one. It's actually my first time hunting. The trip 3 years ago was for the kids.
    Nice shootin' Tex!

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Congrats!

Nice shootin' Tex!

Thanks guys. We made sure to go to the range last weekend and check the scope on the 300bo and it was still dead on. I shot one of my ARs a little too. When I realized they had a multitude of blinds on the property(1100 acres) I grabbed a second gun. At first I was thinking we would be sharing a blind and one would hunt the morning and then switch in the afternoon.

My son used the 300bo with a suppressor.
    I brought my AR and the only ammo I had was fmj target ammo. I did a little googling and it seemed a lot of people think it's not suitable for deer. I went for it anyway. Double lung shot and he dropped about 20 yards from where I shot him and was dead quickly. So I'd say it works just fine.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I was going to go back to the spot I went to yesterday to possibly harvest a doe. There had been light snow in the morning and I was afraid that it might make the dirt roads too muddy for my RWD truck. It wasn't bad so I drove down the dirt roads to the spot I park my truck at. There was another truck there so I asked the guy where he was hunting at. He said he wasn't hunting but was cutting wood with a power saw. What kind of dik would cut wood at the best hunting hour at a good hunting area? We only have four more days until the seasons over.

I moved to another area and just tried to see what I could see.

I went to an area where I had seen a nice buck last year and stood in the corner of a cut cornfield. Nothing showed after dusk then I saw something out of the corner of my eye as I was looking through the binocs. A young buck was just coming out of the wood line at the end of shooting light. He must've seen me move my binocs and ran a few yards back to the woods but stopped and watched me. I had the HECS suit on. He obviously didn't know what I was so I watched him for a few minutes. Finally I moved the binocs down and he went back into the woods.

I'm not shooting a buck unless it's a monster.
    You've been in Iowa how long, and you don't have 4wd drive yet?! For shame!

And people suck. They will ruin a hunt and not give two sh!ts about it, or anyone else. I had someone shooting behind my property the last half-hour of daylight every other day during the rut. Pissed me off.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Thanks guys. We made sure to go to the range last weekend and check the scope on the 300bo and it was still dead on. I shot one of my ARs a little too. When I realized they had a multitude of blinds on the property(1100 acres) I grabbed a second gun. At first I was thinking we would be sharing a blind and one would hunt the morning and then switch in the afternoon.

I brought my AR and the only ammo I had was fmj target ammo. I did a little googling and it seemed a lot of people think it's not suitable for deer. I went for it anyway. Double lung shot and he dropped about 20 yards from where I shot him and was dead quickly. So I'd say it works just fine.

You got lucky and did the equivalent of hunting with field tips.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va

How big was the exit hole? I have no doubt fmj is lethal on deer, you still have massive amounts of hydrostatic shock plus it seems to kill men just fine... ask the millions of war dead.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    nope, just fine in TX. That was the first thing I checked. Only thing you can't hunt with is rimfire.
    I wonder what ever happened to that helo-pig hunt one of our members was going on this past spring...:innocent0

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    it seems to kill men just fine... ask the millions of war dead.

Actually the main idea behind fmj and military calibers it to make an injury, not a kill. As it causes more troubles to an enemy. While in hunting the main goal is retrieve the meat (or trophy).

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    How big was the exit hole? I have no doubt fmj is lethal on deer, you still have massive amounts of hydrostatic shock plus it seems to kill men just fine... ask the millions of war dead.

exit hole was about a 1/2"

Like I said it died very quickly and ran about the same distance that my son's did. He shot his deer with 150gr 300bo winchester xp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom