• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I picked one up recently. It came with a nice scope already mounted. I also got a set of reloading dies from Lee (more about that later). I loaded up some ammo with Hornady 150 gr. FMJBT bullets and IMR 4198 powder in new Winchester brass.
    I took it to a range and got it nearly zeroed in. I was unable to seat the bullets to what the Hornady manual said the OAL should be set at. The gun still shot the ammo quite accurately. I was able to find a set of RCBS loading dies and they were ably to finish the job. I'm taking the rifle to a range again soon. Maybe today if the roads are OK here.
    Will report on how the gun shoots with this ammo. I still have until the end of the year to use the rifle for hunting on an indian reservation so I may be able to see if the round can kill deer.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    Awesome! Would like to hear how you make out. I got a HOWA in 6.5 creedmoor about 6 months ago. I just finished getting it range ready. Headed to peacemaker early January.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    I've got the same exact rifle, but I feed it cheap steel case. Does 2-2.5MOA. A lot of fun, well balanced, soft recoiling. I bought the bull barrel version.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    It shot my handloads very well. I just wanted to get it 2 inches above the bullseye at 100 yards. My handloads are the max IMR 4198 powder load with 150 gr. Hornady SST bullets. I found a spot where the deer are feeding at dusk so I should be able to see if the rifle is a deer slayer!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    A friend bought the same exact rifle, he loves it.

Got one a few weeks ago in 6.5 Grendel. Shot it right away with no scope (didn’t come with bases and had to wait on some, shotgun aiming a rifle FTW. I managed 8 out of 10 test rounds on a 16” target at 50yds. Never tried anything like it before, was way more accurate shooting that way than I would have guessed I could have managed). Finally got it to the range yesterday with a scope. Shoots real sweet. Sub MOA with Hornady American gunner and MOA +/- a little for hand loads I am working up (hair over for the worst, a little better for the best).

Trigger is great. Bolt is nice and smooth (was a bit rough at first. A bit of lube and some working and now great, was only okay at first. Only have about 40 rounds through the gun so far).

Very happy with it. Sad that the Howa 1500 in .223 is 1:9 twist or I’d look to get one. I really want a .223 bolt gun in 1:8 or 1:7 so I can shoot 75/77gr or even 85 accurately out of it.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I am toying with the idea of a bolt 7.62x39 gun, and I have a mini-30,,
    Can you compare this to the Ruger American in 7.62??

I picked one up recently. It came with a nice scope already mounted. I also got a set of reloading dies from Lee (more about that later). I loaded up some ammo with Hornady 150 gr. FMJBT bullets and IMR 4198 powder in new Winchester brass.
    I took it to a range and got it nearly zeroed in. I was unable to seat the bullets to what the Hornady manual said the OAL should be set at. The gun still shot the ammo quite accurately. I was able to find a set of RCBS loading dies and they were ably to finish the job. I'm taking the rifle to a range again soon. Maybe today if the roads are OK here.
    Will report on how the gun shoots with this ammo. I still have until the end of the year to use the rifle for hunting on an indian reservation so I may be able to see if the round can kill deer.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I am toying with the idea of a bolt 7.62x39 gun, and I have a mini-30,,
    Can you compare this to the Ruger American in 7.62??

I think the Howa uses a proprietary magazine and the Ruger obviously will use the Mini 30 mags. I will say the Mini 30 mages fit nice and snug in the RAR and the trigger is nice. The bolt on all the RAR's are a bit rough compared to more expensive offerings. I worked on the bolt to get it smoother and I replaced the plastic bolt shroud with an aluminum one. The Howa might be a better fit and finish, I am not sure. I would say try to look at each one in person before buying. The RAR is a good utilitarian plinker / under 150 yard medium game hunter. I put a Nikon 2-7X on mine and it's now a keeper. I don't like the AR style mags on the other RAR's; the fit is sloppy, bad idea. Same goes for Mossberg.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Thanks for all your advice,
    A 7.62 x 39 bolt gun is like a Redhead named Tiffany,,, A bad idea I can't say no to.....

I thought it was like an asian girl named Kim...

Seriously, though, I've been looking for a RAR in 7.62x39 for a few months now. Went ahead and bought a bunch of mini-30 mags in VA but no joy on the rifle yet. At least it shouldn't be outlawed anytime soon.

viiper

Re-Member
    Dec 3, 2008
    Carroll County
    Thanks for sharing this, a 7.62x39 bolt gun is on my list, will be following your experience. I recently grabbed a .300 bolt gun (RAR) and looking at a different chassis possibly, I usually like to do something a little different on each gun. I have a suppressor and plenty of AR mags, the reason for my RAR 300 bolt purchase. I do have a mini 30, so started eyeing their RAR 7.62x39 just for that reason, and had been checking out the Howa too. I'm not too deep on mini 30 mags, so really interested in your thoughts on this Howa 1500 after some good use.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I decided not to go after another doe this year. I could have got one very easily though. I also decided to load up some lighter bullets I have to hunt coyotes with. This fall I could hear a lot of them howling at dusk at each spot I hunted.
    I loaded up 25 rounds with Hornady 110 gr. VMAX bullets and the max load of IMR 4198. I shot it today and got it near zero but the daylight was running out so I'll go back tomorrow. Not really crazy about the magazine which fell off the rifle at the range. I need to watch that when I hunt with the rifle.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I have the rifle pretty much zeroed at 2 inches above the bulls-eye. I'm planning on using it to thin out the coyote population so we'll have more fawns and turkeys this year.

This rifle was worth every penny I paid for it and then some.

PS: I saw some Winchester ammo for sale today for about $24.00 a box. It was loaded with 123 grain bullets that look like the bullets in Winchester's 350 Legend ammo for deer.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have the rifle pretty much zeroed at 2 inches above the bulls-eye. I'm planning on using it to thin out the coyote population so we'll have more fawns and turkeys this year.

This rifle was worth every penny I paid for it and then some.

PS: I saw some Winchester ammo for sale today for about $24.00 a box. It was loaded with 123 grain bullets that look like the bullets in Winchester's 350 Legend ammo for deer.

Good to know. How do you like the fit and finish? Can't be worse than the RAR, but I am not complaining for what I paid for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom