• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Good advice about new vs used, thanks.

On a different note, seems I've become a sat junkie. I have a few apps for tracking them and the ISS. Just caught the ISS almost straight up and have been able to get them on my HT/whip. A Yagi is definitely in my future.

Caught the ISS this morning before sunrise, too, but that was just to watch it.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    For non hams, this is what hams look at the ISS space station for: It has several sets of ham equipment that the astronauts use. One is a more or less conventional set up that they use (as far as I have read) mostly to communicate directly with hams that are affiliated with school kids showing off ham technology. They are required to do this on their personal time as not even NASA has an exemption for ham use by employees while on the clock (same would apply to school teachers at ground stations).

The second thing is that the station carries a repeater system, much like the ones in our neighborhoods, except its a mobile rig flying over our heads. With the right equipment, if you time it right, you can transmit up to the station and have your signal retransmitted back to earth. An antenna that high covers a large area and lots of hams have the potential for receiving your signal, if you are one of the lucky ones who gets a signal into the station's receiver.

There's a lot of geekiness involved, but I will admit, I have tuned in and heard the signal a few times on high angle passes of the ISS.

Like jc120 hints at, there's more to it, the ISS is just one of many satellites with repeaters, its the only one with crew on board, so it has a higher media profile. Hams have been piggybacking repeater payloads onto commercial launches for decades, there are a lot of them in orbit.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Are there any brick&mortar store in Carroll or Balt. Counties?

I'm looking to get a magnetic antenna and found a few on Amazon, but I'm not sure about them. Some look springy (like whips) and not sure if it matters while driving (them bending over). I would imagine a stiff antenna that doesn't bend would be better.

They are fine.

I ran a cheap MFJ mag mount dual band for quite a while. They switched to a better Diamond antenna on a mag mount.

Both performed well. And at least at speeds under 100. :D

Here is the (or similar) antenna that I ran - https://www.diamondantenna.net/sg7500nmo.html

Much longer than the shorties you are looking at.

BTW, you don't want a really stiff antenna. It is ugly when you hit something.

The Diamond above does fold down for parking garages.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I feel like a kid this week except I have to wait an extra 2 1/2 weeks before "my" Christmas and that's just to take the test. Add another for the processing.

I so want to chime in on some of these nets.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I feel like a kid this week except I have to wait an extra 2 1/2 weeks before "my" Christmas and that's just to take the test. Add another for the processing.

A lot of new callsigns show up within a day or two. It mostly depends on the VE team submitting the results in a timely manner.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I don't even have my license yet and I've already outgrown the Baofengs. I'm looking at the Yaesu FT-3DR. Plus I have no doubt I'll want a mobile/base station as well....then the General license...then an HF radio....

My wife is going to kill me.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    The free ride will end. Due to the Ray Baum's act, the FCC is being forced to charge a fee for all personal licenses and have adopted a $35 fee for all types.

The ONE good thing is GMRS will drop from $70 to $35.

But amateur radio service licenses will be charged $35 for new, renewals, vanity requests, etc. Address updates will NOT have a fee, though.

https://www.kb6nu.com/fcc-sets-amateur-license-fee-at-35/

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I don't even have my license yet and I've already outgrown the Baofengs. I'm looking at the Yaesu FT-3DR. Plus I have no doubt I'll want a mobile/base station as well....then the General license...then an HF radio....

I don't want to pee on your enthusiasm, but in a nutshell, a handheld is a handheld. They have their place, but it is limited. If you've already got baofengs, I'd wager that $350 is much better spent on either a 2m/440 mobile rig with some decent power out or towards a name brand 'all in one' HF radio that has 2m/440 in it also (i.e., whatever the modern day equivalent is the the good old icom 706MkIIG). I'm sure there's some whiz bang stuff on it, but at the end of the day, you'll enjoy something that can hammer a repeater with authority when needed. And there's no reason not to get something that combines HF too. You may outgrow it and want something better for both HF and VHF, but those combination radios are worth keeping around even after you upgrade.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    That's not a lot of money. Just one Baofeng. ;)

They used to charge for all of that, and made you learn Morse code! So not new to most of us. If we and the ARRL push the right buttons (i.e. pay-off the right politicians), there's a good chance the Amateur Service will get exempted again eventually.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    That's not a lot of money. Just one Baofeng. ;)

They used to charge for all of that, and made you learn Morse code! So not new to most of us. If we and the ARRL push the right buttons (i.e. pay-off the right politicians), there's a good chance the Amateur Service will get exempted again eventually.

Yeah, right after I pass extra.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    I don't want to pee on your enthusiasm, but in a nutshell, a handheld is a handheld. They have their place, but it is limited. If you've already got baofengs, I'd wager that $350 is much better spent on either a 2m/440 mobile rig with some decent power out or towards a name brand 'all in one' HF radio that has 2m/440 in it also (i.e., whatever the modern day equivalent is the the good old icom 706MkIIG).
    All well said. To which I'll add: Spend equal time/energy on antennas, if not equal money. The best radio in the world is useless with a crap antenna, and will just lead to frustration. More power (amps) just makes it worse.

When you see a big beam antenna on top of a 50-60-70 ft tower, the guy likely spent way more money on that then on the radios connected to it. Like nice new car money.

You don't have to spend big bucks to get a good antenna, very modest bucks and a bit of effort can go a long way. Wire dipoles and end-fed half-waves are a fraction of the cost and work really well, if you put the effort into them.

Tip: All HT antennas are crap, Baofeng HT antennas are a little bit1` worse than most.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I don't want to pee on your enthusiasm, but in a nutshell, a handheld is a handheld. They have their place, but it is limited. If you've already got baofengs, I'd wager that $350 is much better spent on either a 2m/440 mobile rig with some decent power out or towards a name brand 'all in one' HF radio that has 2m/440 in it also (i.e., whatever the modern day equivalent is the the good old icom 706MkIIG). I'm sure there's some whiz bang stuff on it, but at the end of the day, you'll enjoy something that can hammer a repeater with authority when needed. And there's no reason not to get something that combines HF too. You may outgrow it and want something better for both HF and VHF, but those combination radios are worth keeping around even after you upgrade.

Noted and you are right I'm sure.

All well said. To which I'll add: Spend equal time/energy on antennas, if not equal money. The best radio in the world is useless with a crap antenna, and will just lead to frustration. More power (amps) just makes it worse.

When you see a big beam antenna on top of a 50-60-70 ft tower, the guy likely spent way more money on that then on the radios connected to it. Like nice new car money.

You don't have to spend big bucks to get a good antenna, very modest bucks and a bit of effort can go a long way. Wire dipoles and end-fed half-waves are a fraction of the cost and work really well, if you put the effort into them.

Tip: All HT antennas are crap, Baofeng HT antennas are a little bit1` worse than most.

No doubt about the antenna probably being more important than the radio. I replaced the rubber ducky with a Nagoya 771 and the difference is amazing.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    As for the fee...going from $0 to $35 sucks, but at the same time....that comes out to $3.50/year. For government...that's not bad...until the raise it. Camel's nose and all that.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland

The FT3DR is a nice radio, I sometimes listen to Gburg multicom sunny days. It gets busy when the skies are clear.

Make sure you get the programming cable for the unit.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    The FT3DR is a nice radio, I sometimes listen to Gburg multicom sunny days. It gets busy when the skies are clear.

Make sure you get the programming cable for the unit.

Just got an FT3DR (thanks, Santa).

Of note: don’t really need the cable - use the DT Systems software, and you can just write to a micro SD card, pop it in the radio and load up the new programming. Works great.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    For those of you looking for equipment, Anne Arundel Radio Club currently has quite a bit for sale. Not expensive to join.

Way back in this thread, the subject of used equipment came up. Unless you're looking for something in particular used (i.e., tube/vintage equipment, or large linears or towers) I find the savings are rarely worth it. Half the time I see used radios for sale for more than I can find the same radio new. I picked up a 7300 a little over a year ago for $900 with rebate, Looks to be $1000 with rebate right now. Helluva cool radio when you connect a panadapter to the RF...

The pan adapter feature is really awesome. I see you are using HDSDR which is a good free software package. I use the same thing on my Yeasu FT-991a.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I took my technician exam today and scored 100%. The gal said I could have my call sign as early as Monday. I'm one happy camper at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom