• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Sorry I thought we were having fun talking about things. Yeah we have talked before. To answer your questions:
    1. No I did not keep track that you have one firearm set up that way. Do you find it a pain to switch it between suppressor and non suppressor settings? I usually pull my cans off a half hour between leaving the range to let them cool. So in the same range trip, I will shoot them both suppressed and unsuppressed almost every time.
    2. No I did not know you were a Pro. Yes its a Hobby for me for sure. I am sure our trips are different. I am going to go out on a limb here and get the OP is looking at this as a hobby too as he did not state it was for work and most here seem to be hobbyists. But I could be wrong.
    3. Yes, few people using guns for work are into MGs as a hobby as well. If you get to shoot them for free, rarely do they shell out all the cash it takes to shoot them as a hobby. Our club is not filled with Military and Police. We have a few but is not our average member. People are rarely as interested as we are in their work tools.
    Sorry, I came off as abrasive in my previous post. It wasn’t intended that way, but clearly I should have re thought before I hit “post”.

I don’t have any issues going back and forth er between suppressed and unsuppressed, except for with the shortie.

Again I really appreciate the passion you have for machine guns, and I hope you continue to bring converts into the hobby. The more enthusiastic people we have participating in firearms related activities, the better. My apologies for coming off like a jerk.

GASSMAN

Feb 14, 2009
    I can only comment on the Rugged Surge 7.62 and the Surefire SOCOM gen 2. I def would consider the Rugged as it can be broken down to change the overall length which is like having 2 cans. I know other cans do this as well but if you have a major issue with the Rugged the serial number is stamped on the lower portion of the mount which means if it were to get damaged you can literally replace every other part without a new stamp or having to wait/pay for a new stamp. I think this alone is a win. The can is quiet it doesn't seem overly heavy and its belt-fed rated. I have been happy with it so far. Only cons I can think of: Its pricey, you have to use their proprietary mounting system which is kind of hard to come by right now. The sure fire is good, just not modular and not any cheaper...

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I can only comment on the Rugged Surge 7.62 and the Surefire SOCOM gen 2. I def would consider the Rugged as it can be broken down to change the overall length which is like having 2 cans. I know other cans do this as well but if you have a major issue with the Rugged the serial number is stamped on the lower portion of the mount which means if it were to get damaged you can literally replace every other part without a new stamp or having to wait/pay for a new stamp. I think this alone is a win. The can is quiet it doesn't seem overly heavy and its belt-fed rated. I have been happy with it so far. Only cons I can think of: Its pricey, you have to use their proprietary mounting system which is kind of hard to come by right now. The sure fire is good, just not modular and not any cheaper...

This ^

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    For my first rifle can, I was looking for versatility: AR-10, 308 bolt, Contender 30-30/.223, RAR in 7.62x39, SU16, and 300Blk SBR ($700+ in mounts); and OAL. I went with the AMTAC CQBm762. I'm not doing heavy rapid fire where the direct thread is a concern. the big blast chamber of the over barrel reduces gassing in semis. I've since added a Rugged Obsidian9 for subs and an OSS for 5.56 semis. The problem of choice...

Attachments

• B74B19C1-E02C-4255-9DB1-EE187FED8674.jpeg
      B74B19C1-E02C-4255-9DB1-EE187FED8674.jpeg
      45.7 KB · Views: 188
    • 42B246EF-E1C8-4800-BD89-F31740CBDE7E.jpeg
      42B246EF-E1C8-4800-BD89-F31740CBDE7E.jpeg
      46.8 KB · Views: 187
    • 45D80498-6700-419D-A8BD-1CEA0BA5B97F.jpeg
      45D80498-6700-419D-A8BD-1CEA0BA5B97F.jpeg
      97.7 KB · Views: 180

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Sorry, I came off as abrasive in my previous post. It wasn’t intended that way, but clearly I should have re thought before I hit “post”.

I don’t have any issues going back and forth er between suppressed and unsuppressed, except for with the shortie.

Again I really appreciate the passion you have for machine guns, and I hope you continue to bring converts into the hobby. The more enthusiastic people we have participating in firearms related activities, the better. My apologies for coming off like a jerk.

Good follow up post. :thumbsup:

05dodgedaytona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2009
    Cecil County

I went with the Rugged Surge. I was able to find the 3 Port Brakes in stock easily and they were delivered 2 days later.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    It is interesting to me that on MDS there seems to be no love for Thunderbeast.

While on Sniper's Hide, lots of TB love. People over on SH tested and found 0 shift of Point of Impact with and without the can.

I have two TB .30 cal cans. I like them. They have a quick mount that the rifle portion can be either a muzzle brake style or a flash suppressor style.

I have a muzzle brake mount on my .308 long range rifle. And a flash suppressor mount on my SBR .300 BO rifle.
    I have a thunderbeast can, and like it alot. I will say the muzzle attachments aren't cheap though! $125 per is salty. Especially when I purchase those attachments for most of my Firearms.

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    I have a thunderbeast can, and like it alot. I will say the muzzle attachments aren't cheap though! $125 per is salty. Especially when I purchase those attachments for most of my Firearms.

I should have added that cost of attachments was another factor in going with a direct thread for a multi gun can.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD

I appreciate the follow up. Don't worry about it. I am come off wrong sometimes too. You have always been pleasant to talk to, I am sure we will have tons more great conversations. :thumbsup: Maybe one day we will even see you out shooting with us as you are welcome any time.

Jakedasnake

Aug 11, 2012
    Doing some research trying to figure out what 30 Cal Can to get. I have no clue what route to go. I would primarily be running it on a 300 Blackout AR pistol and rifle. Will also occasionally run it on an 308 AR and bolt gun possibly. I have been looking at the following: Dead Air Nomad L, Dead Air Sandman S, Dead Air Sandman K, Dead Air Nomad 30, Rugged Surge 762 and the Rugged Micro 762. Any recommendations on which one to go with? What are some experiences that you guys have with any of these? Looking for something that will be pretty quiet with Subs. I will be shooting both supers and subs with it. Thanks in advance.

Don’t go with any of those, but except the Nomad, or a Silencerco Chimera. Both are more quieter, and solid tanks. Especially that Chimera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom