• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I took my technician exam today and scored 100%. The gal said I could have my call sign as early as Monday. I'm one happy camper at the moment.

Congrats!

I checked every half hour on the Monday after my test, didn't show up until afternoon. I think very late morning is the earliest they will show up.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Thank you, all!

Congratulations! Now jump in and get on the air!

Note quite legal yet, but I'm a itchin'

Congrats!

I checked every half hour on the Monday after my test, didn't show up until afternoon. I think very late morning is the earliest they will show up.

I really expect it Tuesday - that's when (about 6am) I got my GMRS license I bought over that weekend. If it comes Monday, so much the better.

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    I took my technician exam today and scored 100%. The gal said I could have my call sign as early as Monday. I'm one happy camper at the moment.

Where and how did you take it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    When I first got licensed (took tech and general the same day) my local club lent me a full set up. I did take a class with them prior to taking the tests. They lent me a Kenwood ts440, LDG antenna tuner, wire antenna, power supply, some coax and other accessories to get me on the air. And a friend lent me an HT to get on the local 2m nets. I only kept their stuff for a few months til I started to acquire my own set up but my understanding is that many clubs will help you out like this. Good luck!

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I've been toying with web SDRs to hear what's on the bands outside of VHF/UHF. These 2 URLs are for the same callsign that covers a good number of the bands if not all (I don't know them all so I don't know)

There's a lot of neat stuff out there. The digital stuff is strange (not like a dial-up modem) and unrelated, I heard auroral distortion via some youtube videos. THAT stuff is really neat to hear. Sounds like aliens.

http://na5b.com:8901/

http://na5b.com:8902/

When I first got licensed (took tech and general the same day) my local club lent me a full set up. I did take a class with them prior to taking the tests. They lent me a Kenwood ts440, LDG antenna tuner, wire antenna, power supply, some coax and other accessories to get me on the air. And a friend lent me an HT to get on the local 2m nets. I only kept their stuff for a few months til I started to acquire my own set up but my understanding is that many clubs will help you out like this. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip. The Carroll County Amateur Radio Club has an in-person meeting at that emergency training center near the public school Career and Tech Center. I plan on attending and joining.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    PSA: mainly for the new license holders. Don't wait for the FCC to send an email that your license was granted. Check the ULS database instead.

My license was in the DB when I checked yesterday morning, but I just got the email message an hour ago.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    PSA: mainly for the new license holders. Don't wait for the FCC to send an email that your license was granted. Check the ULS database instead.

My license was in the DB when I checked yesterday morning, but I just got the email message an hour ago.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom