• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    HDPE would be a lot lighter. I wouldn't trust it for rifle rounds but it should easily stop most of the pistol rounds which seem to be the most prevalent issue.

chrisflhtc

Jan 28, 2010
    Hagerstown
    1.5 + inch lexan curved or flat curved is better to stand behind half rounds with a 30-40 radi.Flat mounted to strategic locations. ymmv

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hmm, what are you going to do about windows????

Or a windowless house???

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Could one deploy a sheet of the type steel used to make targets under say a window? Should be cheaper than Lexan type material. What would this cost? Asking for a friend.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I am going to put "Raised garden boxes" in tactical locations in front of bedroom windows and other areas around the house. Railroad ties with maybe some brick and sand filler inside and then make an actual topsoil upper for plants.

Unless you are building a specific safe room to hide out in, I would rethink the bullet resistant wall thing. There may be a time when you would want to shoot through a wall. I know I would. Like when my people are in the room behind me and the threat is at the door/walls. Standing at my bedroom door, the wall to the right is my walk in closet. I have no problem going in there a zipping a few rounds that direction if needed.

If I "heavied" up anything, it would be bedroom doors.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    As Blaster says, garden boxes. I saw a video where a fellow built boxes that are alternating layers of sand and 1/8" steel plate. Top with soil and the decorative flowers of your wife's choosing.
    They stopped everything, even .223.

My house is a joke, all windows. There's no real way to fortify it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I can see hardening outer walls and doors.

Best, keep the OUT of the house. I like what Blaster says about interior walls.

My perfect house, would be old style southwestern/Spanish style. No outside windows, or small ones just for some light.

But the house is a square around a courtyard, with windows looking into the courtyard.

And roof access, with a crenellated parapet for defense.

A_C

Jan 12, 2017
    I've got an old brick house with walls that are pretty thick and could likely stop anything short of .50 bmg, but the tall windows are a problem.

There's glass block windows in the basement. Anyone see any testing of those? They're thicker and heavier than normal glass panes, but I don't think they'd stop much of anything.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've got an old brick house with walls that are pretty thick and could likely stop anything short of .50 bmg, but the tall windows are a problem.

There's glass block windows in the basement. Anyone see any testing of those? They're thicker and heavier than normal glass panes, but I don't think they'd stop much of anything.

Brick won’t either. “Old brick home” likely means brick facade with strapping to wood slats over dimensional lumber, maybe insulation if you are lucky and then plaster and lathe interior walls. That’ll probably stop handgun rounds, but it won’t stop rifle rounds.

Go search “bullet vs brick”. You’ll probably find some nice tests. Cinderblock is much harder than a brick and it’ll barely stop a .223 (and the right construction 223 will go through it. An M855 at fairly close range from a 20” barrel will go through. M855A1 will. .223 AP will). A .308 FMJ will go through a cinder block. Let alone any of the barrier penetrating .308 rounds.

If it is structural brick it’ll stop anything short of real AP rifle rounds...but also won’t take much to drill through (brick blasts apart when hit with a rifle round)

ed bernay

Feb 18, 2011
    How about gabion planters filled with bags of gravel, in your front, back, and side gardens about waist high?

A_C

Jan 12, 2017
    Brick won’t either. “Old brick home” likely means brick facade with strapping to wood slats over dimensional lumber

No, I mean OLD. Real brick walls. Built in 1915, according to the tax records.

If someone shot repeatedly in the same place with a rifle, that would bust a hole through eventually, but I think stray handgun rounds are a lot more likely, and they wouldn't do much more than chip it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    How about gabion planters filled with bags of gravel, in your front, back, and side gardens about waist high?

You don't need gravel, wet dirt is fine.

But that only protects you waist high.

Also, it gives the bad guys something to hide behind.

ed bernay

Feb 18, 2011
    You don't need gravel, wet dirt is fine.

But that only protects you waist high.

Also, it gives the bad guys something to hide behind.

My gardens are close to my house (like two feet away) so I wasn't thinking that bad guys could hide behind them...but they could if they got close enough. I think you make a good point. I want them waist high, maybe even chest high, so I can shoot over them if needed.

My wife won't let me use gabions outside so I was thinking of buying a few and storing them and bags of gravel in the garage. If SHTF, I would set them up in my house where needed.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    No, I mean OLD. Real brick walls. Built in 1915, according to the tax records.

If someone shot repeatedly in the same place with a rifle, that would bust a hole through eventually, but I think stray handgun rounds are a lot more likely, and they wouldn't do much more than chip it.

My brick house built in the late 30s was built with a facade of full/real bricks, with every fifth row tying into a full cinder block wall, followed by the usual 2x4 framing, and plaster walls. Exterior wall have to be at least 14” thick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom