• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Lets try to make this a resource that will help people. Please provide a brief description of what the book contains and why you think it should be included. Also provide a link if at all possible so people can either find the book or at least more information about the book.

I will start it off with:

Roughing It in the Bush by Susanna Moodie
    https://archive.org/details/roughing_in_bush_mf_librivox
    'Roughing It In the Bush' is Susanna Moodie's account of how she coped with the harshness of life in the woods of Upper Canada, as an Englishwoman homesteading abroad. Her narrative was constructed partly as a response to the glowing falsehoods European land-agents were circulating about life in the New World. Her chronicle is frank and humorous, and was a popular sensation at the time of its publication in 1852. (Summary by Moira Fogarty)

This chronicles her struggles as a pioneer hand includes the obstacles they faced in the first half of the 19th Century and how they were overcome. Life was hard. Since it is from a women's point of view it may appeal to your wives and get them to thinking about possible futures.

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    One sec after is about the "end of times" but actually a wonderful read. More of a somewhat realistic story about a family and how a small town copes with the end of the world...

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I"ve always wanted an informative book on information one might need both in the woods or at home that gave useful information on survival assuming No Internet was available to look up the information. How to take care of health w/o medicine, how to grow things, what plants are edible and how to recognize them etc.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    One sec after is about the "end of times" but actually a wonderful read. More of a somewhat realistic story about a family and how a small town copes with the end of the world...

All three books in the series were pretty good. It’s a fictional work without any real technical knowledge, but the author does a good job of bringing the problems faced by early Americans into a modern context.
    For example it gives the reader some pause when you have to contemplate how you might have to function in the world, with a painful tooth abscess or replace a broken pair of prescription glasses.

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    All three books in the series were pretty good. It’s a fictional work without any real technical knowledge, but the author does a good job of bringing the problems faced by early Americans into a modern context.
    For example it gives the reader some pause when you have to contemplate how you might have to function in the world, with a painful tooth abscess or replace a broken pair of prescription glasses.

Didn't realize this is a series. Will have to take a look!

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    If you have access to a usenet service such as Easynews, Giganews, Supernews, etc search for magazines or books with titles like Bushcraft and Survival.Skills, American Survival Guide, FoxFire, Disaster Survival Magazine, Survivors Edge, US Marine Corps - Survival, Evasion, and Recovery. There’s also a ton of US Army Survival/First Aid publications that are on the internet in PDF format. And you just need to search for them. If anything you might learn a few skills to use if you find yourself outdoors or lost and have to find you way or live without access to the normal day to day needs like water, food or a toilet. :rolleyes:

Everyone should know how to handle basic First Aids needs!

Last edited:

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    I read books and have been buying old collections of books about details from everything from gardening/canning/skill training..

However I believe every firearm owner should own at least one book on the maintenance and basic repair of every firearm they own..

You will not find the info on the internet if it's down!

Also you should have the top 10 to 15 parts needed for those repairs.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I'm in the middle of writing an alien invasion novel, and picked up a book on prepping to help research it. Fascinating. So I picked up another, then another, then started stashing stuff in the basement. Then I picked up another...the book is coming along too! Which reminds me, I need to interview some folks one of these days (Blackhawk aviator and crew chief would be nice, A-10 pilot, any US special operations forces esp SEAL or AF Combat Controller, Vietnam vet that had interactions with "tunnel rats"...I should post another thread. It's a pretty big list.).

Attachments

• IMG_20200317_165206.jpg
      IMG_20200317_165206.jpg
      164.4 KB · Views: 636

65by55

Mar 30, 2013
    Rockpile, MD
    The SAS survival handbook and The SAS urban survival handbook by John Wiseman.

They are very good books for learning how to improvise on the go and in the wild. It is the book you go to after the MRE's run out !

scout6

Sep 28, 2016
    Ceciltucky
    https://www.amazon.com/Public-Works...70&s=books&sprefix=public+work,aps,172&sr=1-6

B/w photos and b/w illustrations. A very detailed book giving lots of information on subject matter needed for self-reliant living. Details include first aid and survival, tools and construction, health, food, nutrition, etc. Even though some information is out-of-date. this is still a good reference guide.

The link is the first one that came up on search, much lower priced options available. This thing is an encyclopedia of knowledge.

Last edited:

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    The Fox Fire series is excellent. Not so much about prepping, but firsthand knowledge gathered by students in the 1960s (IIRC) from old timers living the old way and written down. Lots of information. How to build a structure with primitive tools, how to make soap, how to make moonshine...anything Georgian mountain folks have been doing, it’s in there. Think it is a 12 book series. It has great pictures and is not only entertaining but wildly informative.

c3e27cec2182c53ffb771f4ed5a65924.jpg

ffd3f7fe9da74b48fdfd1fd3917689a9.jpg

f223eaed833baf0912b41521d592b9c8.jpg

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    1-1 love this stupid book. Bought it for $2 at Ollies a few years ago while in Pa

Attachments

• DA745138-87B3-446F-8E12-49606F6E6080.jpg
      DA745138-87B3-446F-8E12-49606F6E6080.jpg
      86.8 KB · Views: 400

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I haven’t received this yet, but I ordered it last year. It’s now printed and I got a message from Amazon that it’ll be delivered tomorrow. The Medical Prepper’s Handbook:
    https://www.amazon.com/Preppers-Medical-Handbook-William-Forgey/dp/1493046942/

I did read “The Survival Medicine Handbook” (related book by a different author) and it was pretty good. Many people forget that disease killed more people in the Civil War than bullets. Medical care is a necessity under any SHTF event.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA

Yes, this!

Hopefully not spoiling too much here:

The part that really gave me pause was about communication and information. Because the town had the ability to see what was around them they could prepare for those events. Had they not had word to set up defensively the results would have been much different.

I think this can apply to our current situation: What good is prepping water, tp and food for your family if you don't get word that bands of thugs are coming?

Another thought that came from that series: if you do prep, how much are you willing to share with your neighbor?

I especially liked the explanation of the world-wide supply chain. I think that's going to be a real eye-opener for people after this coronavirus event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom