• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tacswa3

Oct 7, 2013
    Curious how many are comfortable submitting their ID (driver's license, etc) to an online company to verify age? Recently purchased some ammo from a company I've never used and they replied that the sale was pending until age verification. I know nothing about their privacy practices and don't want my info laying around and who knows who can have access to it.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I wouldn't. I have bought online many times through numerous companies. That level of verification seems rife for virtual ID theft. Those electrons travel to a database and would give a lot more info to a potential ID thief that than just your cc number.

tcc722

Jul 3, 2010
    PA
    I wouldn't either. Not worried about somebody stealing my identity, I'm just not jumping through those hoops.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    The only place I have seen this request was AIM Surplus and strangely enough they had a data breach.

Tacswa3

Oct 7, 2013
    Yea, I told them No thank you and to cancel my order. Bought ammo numerous times at various on line places and never ran into this. They said my state (Maryland) requires age verification therefore they will need a copy of approved gov’t ID. That I could take a picture of it with my phone and send via email it, etc. NOPE

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have had a couple places ask for that.

Not a huge deal. I blank out the DL Number

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I bet I know what vendor you are talking about.

I would cancel my order out of principle alone.

Mr. B

Jul 9, 2019
    MD
    I've never been asked that in years of ordering ammo online from various dealers.

I would not.

cmb

Dec 28, 2012
    Conowingo MD
    Curious how many are comfortable submitting their ID (driver's license, etc) to an online company to verify age? Recently purchased some ammo from a company I've never used and they replied that the sale was pending until age verification. I know nothing about their privacy practices and don't want my info laying around and who knows who can have access to it.

I've been B U Y I N G ammo on line for a good while and that hasn't happened ...yet.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    CMP - Proof of citizenship, age, CMP-affiliated club membership and competitive shooting participation, and any copy of any license, permit, or Firearms Owner ID card required by your State or locality submitted with your initial “Universal” application will be kept on file by the CMP. If any item of proof above has expired, you must submit proof of current status with any subsequent application.

EDA98

Dec 4, 2019
    Laurel MD
    On first thought that sounds sketchy. But while I've never had to provide ID online to buy ammo, at in person stores I always have to provide ID. But of course, someone who just glances at the age is very different from it being sent to who knows where online.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    You may have missed the bulletin sir, AJ is out of stock and Shamr0ck ain’t too far behind him.

While true with 9 (5 cases available at the moment) and PMC223 (6 cases available at the moment) I have “plenty” of 556.

I’ll be at Turf Valley this Sunday morning @1000 and if I can get more time away from the house I’ll go up to AGC for the Arlington frame build to benefit their Jr Rifle Program

Tacswa3

Oct 7, 2013
    On first thought that sounds sketchy. But while I've never had to provide ID online to buy ammo, at in person stores I always have to provide ID. But of course, someone who just glances at the age is very different from it being sent to who knows where online.

Exactly. I have no problem whipping out the ID in store for someone to verify age. Not sending a copy to who knows who in Cyber world.

The online store was Lucky Gunner

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Most online vendors simply require you check a box to certify that you are above the required age and relieve them of liability. Not sending that kind of info to any vendor!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom