Anybody Know if Gilbert Harrell Still Does Taxidermy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    Hi all.

I am in need of a taxidermist. I was hoping to go back to Gilbert Harrell, but either his contact information has changed or he is no longer in the business.

I know Charlie Fegan and Hitchcock are near me. Does anybody else have any recommendations for a taxidermist in Central, MD or just over the bridge?

Thanks!

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    You want a full on mount of something or Euro. I got a guy in Catonsville, Johnny, if you want his number PM me. He will gladly show examples. It’s his legit full time work not a side gig.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Hard to imagine that Fegan's couldn't do it, but probably pricey (I don't know, i've never shot anything worth mounting).

I thought foxtrapper on here was doing some work...?

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    I will probably give Fegan's a call if Gilbert is out of the game. I think Fegan starts at $750 for a shoulder mount these days.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    $750?? New hobby time!!

"Outdoor Life Complete Home Taxidermy", by Tim Kelly.

A guy on Rokslide did some of his own and even the first ones he did were damned good.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I would love to know the answer to this as well!
    I haven’t needed any taxidermy in over 15yrs, unfortunately. But when I did need it, Gilbert was my guy :thumbsup:

Public records indicate he’s still listed as owner of his house, but no updated contact info anywhere I can find.
    You may have to just drive over and knock on the door ;)
    Please post to this thread if you discover anything.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Also, not sure if Ronnie Hall is still in business - but definitely someone I’d trust to do my mount. He was Charlie Sr’s apprentice, if I’m not mistaken.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I thought foxtrapper on here was doing some work...?
    You are correct, I think she's a bit north of Baltimore.
    She was quiet for a long while but posted in the last month or so, which is good news!

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    $750?? New hobby time!!

"Outdoor Life Complete Home Taxidermy", by Tim Kelly.

A guy on Rokslide did some of his own and even the first ones he did were damned good.

****I guess like anything else, taxidermy is something that some folks are just better than others at. I've never shot anything worth mounting, but have caught some fish that meant a lot to me and had them mounted. It wasn't cheap and it wasn't fast but the results were worth it. I think I posted some pics on another thread regarding taxidermy, including one of an old fish that was freshened up and cleaned up after decades of being mounted on a wall from when I was just a kid.

Anyway, yea taxidermy can certainly be a hobby, but there are definitely some people out there that are absolutely worth every dime you pay them; they are noticeably more talented and can really make a catch or hunting trophy look like it's alive and mounted on a wall like that cool moose at Bugaboo Creek Steakhouse that talked and moved right up until that restaurant burnt to the ground with Marky Moose inside of it... Bummer for Marky, but he's in a better place now... Some of us will never forget Marky, along with the racoon who would pop out of the barrel and say a few words..

If you have something nice you want mounted, please make sure you go to someone with experience and demonstrable success in the field. You will be so sad if a prize buck, or ex-wife is mounted in such a way as to make them look less than what they were while still kicking or nagging you to death...:thumbsup:

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    ****I guess like anything else, taxidermy is something that some folks are just better than others at. I've never shot anything worth mounting, but have caught some fish that meant a lot to me and had them mounted. It wasn't cheap and it wasn't fast but the results were worth it. I think I posted some pics on another thread regarding taxidermy, including one of an old fish that was freshened up and cleaned up after decades of being mounted on a wall from when I was just a kid.

Anyway, yea taxidermy can certainly be a hobby, but there are definitely some people out there that are absolutely worth every dime you pay them; they are noticeably more talented and can really make a catch or hunting trophy look like it's alive and mounted on a wall like that cool moose at Bugaboo Creek Steakhouse that talked and moved right up until that restaurant burnt to the ground with Marky Moose inside of it... Bummer for Marky, but he's in a better place now... Some of us will never forget Marky, along with the racoon who would pop out of the barrel and say a few words..

If you have something nice you want mounted, please make sure you go to someone with experience and demonstrable success in the field. You will be so sad if a prize buck, or ex-wife is mounted in such a way as to make them look less than what they were while still kicking or nagging you to death...:thumbsup:

Completely concur. If I shot something actually worth mounting (like the many deer I saw regularly as a kid in fairfax county), I'd pay to have someone do it right. That said, I've seen some spectacular first time results from people that really took their time and put in the effort. But definitely not something you want to try to learn on your once in a lifetime buck.

I remember that dumb talking moose! I moved from the area afterward and didn't know the place burned down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom