• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    Interesting. surprised this many people still use paper maps. I haven't used one in about 20 years or so. The closest thing to that was using mapquest some long time ago. I would print out those directions. I only would use a map to go from A to B via car or motorcycle, so dedicated GPS unit or cellphone has been working fine

This is the pepper section,
    What happens when the cell towers go down? Or traffic is so heavy (think 9/11)that no coms?
    GPS like Garmin can be EMP into non working piece of plastic.

Also paper map and I think compass. But that's just me. Even an old 10 to 20 year old map will give basic info you need to get to save location.

Who has, values, wants, needs or uses paper maps?

What scale?

How many?

Why?

The age of the atlas is far from over. .

My dad taught me map reading when I was very little so I learned it just before GPS became a consumer item, and kept an interest in them since learning about the Underground Railroad and and pirates. He instilled in me the value of being able to "get home" or "get away" wherever I was with whatever I had. I'm a city/suburb cat but can just about always figure out where I am when I'm wandering forest and field. I definitely prefer GPS to get to new places but mostly around town it's to get the best traffic route.

I'm an artist off the clock and I've always thought maps were beautiful -all of them, topographic, road, agricultural, astronomy, waterways, whatever. Besides cool embellishments from old maps, I've always thought they were ultimate expressions of truth. Look how beautiful and varied the land is with these topography lines! See how the course of the river shaped the growth of the towns over centuries! Look at how much lies below the surface of the water! Look at the organism of the city with sewer and power lines! The stars! The endless heavens! It's all real and really there to explore!

Thank you for reminding me about them and how they make me feel. I love talking about customer's maps when I find them in their houses. I don't own any of my own but maybe that's a collection worth starting.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    If you use GPS to get to my house, it will put you on the other side of a 90' deep creek. I can wave to you, but it is a 23 mile drive to get here from there!

SharpShoooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 21, 2020
    This is the pepper section,
    What happens when the cell towers go down? Or traffic is so heavy (think 9/11)that no coms?
    GPS like Garmin can be EMP into non working piece of plastic.

Also paper map and I think compass. But that's just me. Even an old 10 to 20 year old map will give basic info you need to get to save location.

I can understand using a map in extreme times, like 9/11
    However I guess I am not familiar with this preppers section so sorry I will leave this topic alone.

I've never had issues reading maps, to the point that most of the time I don't use GPS - I'll look up the address, see where it is on the map, then drive there from memory.

By contrast, my wife can't reliably tell you what general direction she's facing.

There last time I drove to Nebraska, I didn't use GPS - I plotted the course on the map before we left, then I remembered the roads I needed and where I needed too change.

You have a great memory, probably better than the average citizen

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Interesting. surprised this many people still use paper maps. I haven't used one in about 20 years or so. The closest thing to that was using mapquest some long time ago. I would print out those directions. I only would use a map to go from A to B via car or motorcycle, so dedicated GPS unit or cellphone has been working fine

We did Old Route 66 last year, GPS had absolutely NO CLUE about the route or how to follow it, it was all maps, and verbal directions. There many incidents of GPS taking people down the wrong way, or in some cases around here, pointing them down a hiker/biker trail that used to be an old DC area trolley line.

SharpShoooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 21, 2020
    We did Old Route 66 last year, GPS had absolutely NO CLUE about the route or how to follow it, it was all maps, and verbal directions. There many incidents of GPS taking people down the wrong way, or in some cases around here, pointing them down a hiker/biker trail that used to be an old DC area trolley line.

Yes, I agree. there have been several times the GPS will go awry. Its definitely not 100% to be counted on for accuracy. I can understand paper maps still do have their purpose

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I love paper maps. I read them for fun even. I like looking for routes to get around traffic jams.."what if I turn here, go down that road...etc."

If you use GPS to get to my house, it will put you on the other side of a 90' deep creek. I can wave to you, but it is a 23 mile drive to get here from there!

GPS is nice, but not perfect. We delivered citrus fruit a few weekends ago for by oldest's boy's Boy Scout fundraiser. One house in particular was like that. Carroll County has some very odd house number layouts.

One took be back behind the house on roads that never made it there. The correct route was down a private road from the "front" and it was waaaay back there. Although, I question if a paper map would have had the detail necessary.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I don't work in Alexandria VA very much any more, GPS used to take me off the beltway onto Telegraph RD, into the first parking lot, circle around the lot and back out onto Telegraph the same direction I was originally headed. I figured it was a joke put in by the programmers.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I was thinking about downloading and installing Gaia GPS app. With the paid service you can download Street/Trail/Topo/GIS Data maps to your phone. $17/Yr subscription.

However I found what appears to be a very similar and less expensive alternative https://osmand.net/features It seems to include all of the features of Gaia and more. It's got waterway navagtion charts too. The paid cost if you sign up for 1 year is discounted to $3.99! I just signed up and downloaded a full set of Road/Landmark/Topo maps for MD, VA, PA, DE, NC, NJ, DC. All areas I typically travel. You can also use this app as a full fledged GPS, without google or apple tracking you...

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    I can understand using a map in extreme times, like 9/11
    However I guess I am not familiar with this preppers section so sorry I will leave this topic alone.

You have a great memory, probably better than the average citizen

Its really not that hard for long road trips. For driving to Denver it was something like I-70, I-68, I-79, back on I-70 all heading west. Simple to remember. Had printed directions for leaving the Interstate, it was I think 3 turns to the hotel.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Its really not that hard for long road trips. For driving to Denver it was something like I-70, I-68, I-79, back on I-70 all heading west. Simple to remember. Had printed directions for leaving the Interstate, it was I think 3 turns to the hotel.

Here to St Louis is even easier: I-70

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I used to make up index cards with the highways and turns for each days leg. They lived in the top of my tank bag under clear plastic.

Nowadays, I don’t leave home without a State Gazeteer (for states I expect to be in) and a full up national road atlas.

My faith and confidence in ENav technology is born of the times when celestial navigation was strictly manual.

Use it you’ve got it BUT don’t grow dependent lest you disappoint yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom