• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HailVon

Jan 1, 2015
    Northern Indiana
    I’m curious of how much m1 carbines are selling for? Since I’m contemplating buying one in the near future.

tcc722

Jul 3, 2010
    PA
    I just checked gunbroker and didn't see any that sold for less than a $1000 on the first page.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ya the days of $700 mil-surp carbines are for the most part gone. Take some time, do the research small things (e.g., manufacturer, early features, condition) make big differences in prices. $1,000 will still buy you a decent shooter grade gun with postwar features by a common manufacturer (e.g., Inland or Underwood).

temccoy

Nov 13, 2020
    You can find them on the web, but prices seem to have gone up a lot recently, apparently due to the guns & ammo surge in demand. I would like to think prices will come back down when the world calms down, but that may just be wishful thinking.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    If you go through GB, look for the the various models. If it is just going to be a shooter, you can likely find one for between $800 - $1000. The specific model types, will command higher prices (Rock-ola, etc..)

Q

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    $1k is the new norm unless you find a real mixmaster, a commercially produced one of questionable quality, or a low-key auction where one hammers for less than it should (a la that pre-armistice MAS 36 I absolutely stole for less than half its value two months ago). Keep looking, ask the C&R forum for leads, and you'll eventually find a good one at the right price.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    It’s tough to find any under $1K anymore. Even common Inlands with import marks are commanding that in many cases. Potential sellers use the same research of pricing and history to determine their prices, it’s simple supply and demand.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Speaking of, question for the curious. What about an Inland early war (9/42), no re-arsenal, no import marks. Missing original rear sight, but that is easy enough to track a correct one down. Stock isn't in great shape, but it isn't horrible either (Handguard has a chip, stock has been beaten around a little. No cracks evident anywhere. Not refinished). Metal is in good, but not great shape. No evidence of real corrosion. Just lots of blue wearing. All parts I've checked appear to be Inland (which of course mixed parts are also correct from what I am aware because many manufacturers got their parts from others and assembled, though wasn't Inland one of the ones that normally assembled rifles from all in-house parts?)

Not really looking for actual price tag as I'll never sell it unless it is to keep a roof over my head or food in my belly (one of my kids will be inheriting it). More just curious if that is particular uncommon. Seems like most were re-arsenaled. Or as near as I can tell it never went through the arsenals at any point for the late war/post war updates like a bayonet lug and flip safety rather than push button. I haven't looked closely enough to compare early vs late war on the extractor, sear, etc. However, it would seem odd to have been through an arsenal, rebuilt and missing some of the key upgrades.

Thanks.

drking2

Ultimate Member
    Nov 29, 2008
    Carroll County
    watched an auction today that had 16 carbines, various manufacturers....cheapest for a mix master was 1200 several over 2k. Disappointing. I have rockola and ibm, just wanted inland and winchester but not at that price

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Speaking of, question for the curious. What about an Inland early war (9/42), no re-arsenal, no import marks. Missing original rear sight, but that is easy enough to track a correct one down. Stock isn't in great shape, but it isn't horrible either (Handguard has a chip, stock has been beaten around a little. No cracks evident anywhere. Not refinished). Metal is in good, but not great shape. No evidence of real corrosion. Just lots of blue wearing. All parts I've checked appear to be Inland (which of course mixed parts are also correct from what I am aware because many manufacturers got their parts from others and assembled, though wasn't Inland one of the ones that normally assembled rifles from all in-house parts?)

Not really looking for actual price tag as I'll never sell it unless it is to keep a roof over my head or food in my belly (one of my kids will be inheriting it). More just curious if that is particular uncommon. Seems like most were re-arsenaled. Or as near as I can tell it never went through the arsenals at any point for the late war/post war updates like a bayonet lug and flip safety rather than push button. I haven't looked closely enough to compare early vs late war on the extractor, sear, etc. However, it would seem odd to have been through an arsenal, rebuilt and missing some of the key upgrades.

Thanks.

I’d say $1K. I’ve seen rough ones with import marks for more than that now. Sad I sold my QHMC about 6 years ago, although I did get about $1K for it then.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I have a Saginaw...early model...no bayonet lug and it was a bring back. Was told it was easily a 1200 dollar carbine and this was before covid/biden was even on the horizon. Wonder what it would fetch now? Not that I'd sell it.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I have a Saginaw...early model...no bayonet lug and it was a bring back. Was told it was easily a 1200 dollar carbine and this was before covid/biden was even on the horizon. Wonder what it would fetch now? Not that I'd sell it.

If you have any provenance as a bring back that adds to it. Otherwise still very desirable, $1200 sounds low in current days, right day maybe $2K to someone looking for specific mfr, configuration.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    If you have any provenance as a bring back that adds to it. Otherwise still very desirable, $1200 sounds low in current days, right day maybe $2K to someone looking for specific mfr, configuration.

I got it from a Sea Bee...he was a bulldozer driver...Marine on one of the Islands in the Pacific asked him to hold his rifle so he could piss...Marine climbed on the dozer...set it moving and then lay down in front of the track...squish. Couldn't hack it anymore. The guy cried telling me the story, but that is the only proof I have. No pictures or papers.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    That must have been horrid to witness.

If you want a blaster there are a couple makes out there which were not USGI guns. Some early ones had samples which were not uber reliable. Just an option when considering the cost if an authentic carbine and intent to just blast away.

Plainfield is one make that comes to mind. There were (are?) modern ‘Inlands’ made but they are pricey like the new ‘Inland’ 1911’s.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Thanks for responding guys and I might just wait for now

I really dont see them going down barring a large shipment to CMP which could be years. Much of the militaria hasnt seen the growth due to the current panic buying as some other things. Most M1s have been well over a $1k for a while, part of the reason I stepped up on a 100% matching correct muzzle gauge 1 WWII configuration NPM a while back. Paid way over $1k most expensive of my fairly extensive carbine collection by far.

May be worth posting in the wanted section here or a few other places to see if someone has one they will let go at a fair price.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I really dont see them going down barring a large shipment to CMP which could be years. Much of the militaria hasnt seen the growth due to the current panic buying as some other things. Most M1s have been well over a $1k for a while, part of the reason I stepped up on a 100% matching correct muzzle gauge 1 WWII configuration NPM a while back. Paid way over $1k most expensive of my fairly extensive carbine collection by far.

May be worth posting in the wanted section here or a few other places to see if someone has one they will let go at a fair price.

Obama blocked the Korean surplus from coming back a couple of times even though it passes legal muster. These recent ones from Ethiopia seem to be one of the last other large groups of surplus carbines left, hate the thought of a billboard on the side of a USGI rifle though. I may end up ponying up the cash to get back into the Carbine game. Glad I kept my mags at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom