• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie3587

Aug 16, 2020
    DUNDALK
    Need a Good scope, at a good price. Looking for suggestions... Hunting and Range use considering 1-6x at the moment

16" Ballistic Adv. .308 tac giv barrel

Attachments

• Rifle.jpg
      Rifle.jpg
      54.7 KB · Views: 361
    Last edited:

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ****What is your budget and intended use? How far do you normally shoot? If you plan on being able to use the gun for both close and mid range shooting something like an Aimpoint PRO and a 3x magnifier that swings out of the way can make your setup more versatile, but it is a red dot setup versus a true cross hair type scope.

A dedicated scope can be either fixed magnification or variable. How far you intend to shoot as well as your budget will determine what optic would work for you. Good optics are not cheap, but there are definitely some more value priced optics from Bushnell, Burris, Nikon, Leupold, Redfield, Vortex, etc.. that can be had for perhaps less than $300.

You generally get what you pay for with optics.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yeap, first thing is budget and how far do you plan on shooting.

And remember, buy once, cry once. As was mentioned, you do get what you pay for in optics.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Whats your budget and max range you plan to shoot? There are some good deals right now on whats left of nikon scopes. A m tactical 3-12x would work nicely on that rig. Also seeing the bushnell nitro sfp & ffp on sale online at good prices. I just ordered a riton x3 conquer 3-15x for under $400 to mount on a lr308 build. Was impressed enough with the x1 primal 4-16x on a budget gun to spend a little more and try the x3.

hosspower

Dec 1, 2019
    Walkersville, MD
    If price is a concern, I would recommend one of the Vortex Strike Eagles, either a 1x6 or 1x8. They are not the best for sure but they are very good for the money.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    You'll want a lower powered optic paired with the 16" barrel.... like a ACOG 3x or 4x; or a variable 1-4x, 1-6x.

I have a Vortex PST 1-4x on my SIG 716 (16" barrel) and it usually gets me on a pie plate at 300 yards without much difficulty.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    ...Looking for suggestions... ...

Below’s a good idea of what you probably don’t want to do ... Vortex Diamondback 3.5 - 10 on a DPMS G-II 16” bbl.

Bit much, I admit ... and not only size wise but, heavy also (which is really screwed up as I went with the GII MOE as it was one of the lightest 7.62’s out there .... (:sad20:)

All the other kids at the club make fun of me, that is, until the smaller steel targets start ringing from the 200 (offhand!) and 300 (sitting / kneeling) a yard lines, hehe!

And, it just so happens that 200 and 300 steel plinking is what I picked the gun up for so ... :innocent0

I picked up a much more appropriate sized Leupold MultiGun FireDot 1-6x but, just mounted that in the wife’s pencil barreled AR this afternoon (it is schuhweeeeet!)

Anyhoo, were I to do it again yes, I’d go with a smaller footprint scope ...

i ended up going with a swampfox 1-6 scope just ordered..

Oops, just noticed ^that^ - congratulations - happy shooting!

Attachments

• 6942ACF8-8604-47E1-BEDB-47E6E7C1ECE9.jpg
      6942ACF8-8604-47E1-BEDB-47E6E7C1ECE9.jpg
      56.2 KB · Views: 98

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads