• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    This firearm came up in a now closed thread. I wasn't familiar with it but now I'm intrigued. How does this rank in the must-have category.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    It is fun and compact. Goes well with a Glock to share magazines. Assuming you go that way.

I dunno if I would rated it as a stellar must have, but now I have one. I will keep it.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    I have both 9 & 40 gen IIs as truck guns. I think they're fun to shoot.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I have one that takes the G17 mags (and also had one that took the G19 mags - didn't need both and liked the larger grip on the G17 version). The trigger is long and creepy, the overall ergos are meh, but the gun works. Have no problem hitting a tennis ball sized area at 25 yards using iron sights. I love how small and easy to stow it is. I don't have a MD handgun carry permit, so in state (at least for most of the state), it's a nice option to throw in the car at times.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    This firearm came up in a now closed thread. I wasn't familiar with it but now I'm intrigued. How does this rank in the must-have category.

Good guns- probably the most lightweight 9mm carbine and compact especially when folded. Some have had issues, mine have always worked, I’ve had 3 of them at different times over the years. Sights suck from the factory but are easily upgraded.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    They are decent. Not a must have but great for an MD legal trunk gun and it folding is nice for that. That’s the reason I have one. Fun range toy but there are better PCCs out there if you want one for fun.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019

WarPig68

May 9, 2012
    Pasadena

Honestly, if you have the ammo I’d recommend getting a sub2k. I had one for a while but was unprepared for the ammo shortage of 9mm so I sold the rifle to invest in collectible milsurps.

It was fun, reliable, technologically intriguing and the ability to fold whilst still being a cash and carry long arm are a huge plus.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    I have a gen I in .40 S&W. I do not consider it a "must-have." As stated above, nice if you have a matching pistol to share magazines. Small when folded and very simple to maintain. I replaced all of the factory screws and plastic trigger components and the factory buffer with a a heavier buffer. My least favorite part of the carbine is the sight height. Shooting gives me the feeling that I have to curl my head over the buffer tube for a good sight picture. It is accurate out to 150 yards on man sized silhouette targets, but I can't say the round will have a lot of energy left beyond that range.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    So I have a G19 Gen3. Is there a model compatible with this or are there mods that you make?

There are models for G19 and G17.
    A G17 model should shared magazine with the G19 you just have a bigger mag.:innocent0

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I'd suggest a Ruger PC carbine over a Kel-Tec. I assume the M-Carbo version would be better but in stock form I wasn't impressed by the Kel-Tec's durability.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I'd suggest a Ruger PC carbine over a Kel-Tec. I assume the M-Carbo version would be better but in stock form I wasn't impressed by the Kel-Tec's durability.

PC’s are nice also- new ones are TD as well and pretty compact, there are some stock upgrades that can be done to these as well like the Magpul Backpacker.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    I just recently purchased the Sub2000. I like it. Only fired it at an indoor range, so limited to 25 yards; but I was able to keep the group similar to what I get from the Glock 17 at 10 yards. This is on two brand new, unbroken in, firearms.

I was actually looking for the Ruger PC Carbine; but I haven't seen any around in quite some time. Gun Connection just received this shortly before I walked in. It takes seconds to unfold and have it in action. It took one click on the front sight to zero at 25 yards. It was fun to shoot. I hear that some people have a hard time getting a good sight picture, while others don't. Happily for me, it settled to my cheek comfortably. Double happily, it doesn't grab my beard like I've heard from other folks, though I do keep it reasonably short.

I bought the gun because I wanted a packable long gun. I have a fair amount of 9mm (though I'm burning through it frighteningly fast...I may need to adjust my shooting schedule soon), so that was convenient. I picked up a Glock 17 to match with it, even though I'm not a huge Glock fan. I figure I can put together a backpack with the Glock and the Sub2000, some ammo and basic supplies at a reasonable weight and I have something ready to go if 2021 doubles down on the hell of 2020.

It seems like a good gun, though I only have a couple hundred rounds through it so far. Light weight and compact. Reasonably accurate, at least to the 25 yards I've been able to shoot it. A lot of fun. Cool looking. It is a 9mm, though, so it is limited to the strengths of that pistol cartridge. I'm not a hunter; but I think it would do OK as a survival gun to take some game. It's still a 9mm, though, not a .308. If, God forbid, I ever end up in a gun fight I'd rather have the Sub2000 than a handgun. But then, I'd rather have an AR15. Or maybe a tank.

I think it deserves to have a few upgrades done. I'll probably eventually spend as much money at mcarbo picking up some upgrades as I did on the original gun. But gun ownership is a hobby as well as a serious practical pursuit, so that is OK.

I understand they have a multi-mag version where you can change the type of magazine it takes. Since I'm going to match it up with a full size pistol, I would love to eventually get one setup for Beretta 92 mags. Honestly, I so much prefer shooting the Beretta than the Glock. The Glock shoots great (I have a 19 as well as the new 17), and is good to have because of its' popularity; but I just can't seem to like it. I love the Beretta, even if it is a boat anchor.

I haven't shot the Ruger PCC that I was originally after. Now I'm thinking that things worked out right. The Ruger is a break down gun, so can be reasonably compact (though it appears not as compact as the Kel-Tec); but if it was ever called to be used as a serious weapon, the Kel-Tec would be much quicker to get into action. Eventually I'll probably get the Ruger, too; but I don't feel the need to rush at this point.

Excuse my lengthy review. Now that I'm done and it is too late, here is the TLDR: The Sub 2000 is a gun that fits into a narrow niche of packable long gun that ideally should be matched with a compatible pistol. It is fun, but perhaps a little rough. Reasonably accurate. For my mission it is a Must Have. For others, it depends on your mission criteria.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom