• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Rifle Caliber Stereotypes

One thing that kind of amazes me is the stereotypes marketers assign rifle calibers. 243 Win is "ONLY for youngsters" learning to shoot centerfire rifles. 7mm-08 is "ONLY for women" and/or small statured people. But 6.5 Creedmoor, well that's a man's cartridge.

Perhaps I am being facetious, but if you don't believe me, go see what (e.g.) Ruger offers in 7mm-08. Do a search on that caliber and you get 6 results; Three of these are compact models for "little" people. One is a left-handed Predator model (but oddly enough no right-handed model in the Predator line for 7mm-08). Only 2 are standard length of pull and one of those is an "Go Wild" camo pattern with a muzzle brake (the useless muzzle brake should go in the trash and be replaced by a can). If you want a Ruger Hawkeye rifle in 7mm-08, you have to get a compact model. If you want a Hawkeye rifle with a standard LOP, you need to get a "man's" caliber like 6.5 Creedmoor. :rolleyes:

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    They have to market them some how as real men would not buy them.. Just kidding. :innocent0 The branding of a specific demography is just business and more than likely it has been studied to death.

Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    I don’t know what you read but this is a creedmore guy

Attachments

• 617106D6-42B8-4165-8977-A4280193A772.jpg
      617106D6-42B8-4165-8977-A4280193A772.jpg
      82.4 KB · Views: 995

Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    Ruger has always been a cuck brand anyway since Bill ruger was in the pockets of politicos to keep the mini14 off an assault weapon roster

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I don’t know what you read but this is a creedmore guy

No comment on the Creedmoor jab. I own one and I also occasionally drink fancy coffee and I might even have a shirt that looks like that. However I can hit a tennis ball at 600yds.

What I wanted to comment on, is that I recognized the name of that store in the photo. It was a cool record store in Brooklyn NY that I had gone to few times in the 90's. Places like this had connections to lots of people in the music industry who would have access to totally rare recordings. I remember seeing lots of white label promo's which had hand written labels and some even initialed by the original artists. In Maryland we used to go to Annapolis Record Exchange but they never had stuff like I found at places like this. My collection is long gone, given away as CD's began to take over. I wish I still had those records today. Brings back some cool memories.

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    They have to market them some how as real men would not buy them.. Just kidding. :innocent0 The branding of a specific demography is just business and more than likely it has been studied to death.

I mean, if you your wife and your kid can kill anything from a gopher to a moose with an [insert favorite all around cartridge here] out to 500yds then how are they going to sell you more guns!!

As I sit here mulling over what my next caliber will be, and shaking my head knowing that everything is just as dead with one or the other

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I wonder if the kneepads are necessary because 300 ammo is so scarce right now? Thank goodness I reload, my knees hurt to much to be kneeling down...

JK, I just recently got into 300 because it can be suppressed rather quietly. I am fortunate that my parents live close by and have 10 acres of hilly land where I can shoot. My mom (Liberal tendencies from NY, even though she reluctantly votes Republican mostly because of being pro-life) doesn't like to hear "dangerous" guns. That limits my ability to shoot .223 quite a bit. I've got a suppressed .22LR AR pistol and a 300AAC pistol that is still awaiting its own suppressor. My buddy has a nice titanium suppressor that makes it very quiet though.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I hear only rich people shoot 50BMG

*****Only rich people seem to be shooting most anything these days if they have to buy ammo at the current prices! I was at the range today, mostly to just smell other folks recently shot cartridges for the memories, and every time I'm firing off a 9mm round myself I'm thinking there goes $1, $2, 3$, $4 ! :shocking:

I actually have lots of ammo stored up, but wonder how much it will cost me to replace what I shoot for practice every now and again. I guess at least picking up a few still warm casings and holding them in my hands makes me feel a bit better... :thumbsup:

I shoot at a private range and there are noticeably fewer members shooting any given day now. Maybe it's covid, maybe it's the lack of ammo available, dunno. :shrug:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    *****Only rich people seem to be shooting most anything these days if they have to buy ammo at the current prices! I was at the range today, mostly to just smell other folks recently shot cartridges for the memories, and every time I'm firing off a 9mm round myself I'm thinking there goes $1, $2, 3$, $4 ! :shocking:

I actually have lots of ammo stored up, but wonder how much it will cost me to replace what I shoot for practice every now and again. I guess at least picking up a few still warm casings and holding them in my hands makes me feel a bit better... :thumbsup:

I shoot at a private range and there are noticeably fewer members shooting any given day now. Maybe it's covid, maybe it's the lack of ammo available, dunno. :shrug:
    It's been like that ever since WuWuFlu, but one has to wonder, is it the chicken or the egg? :confused:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    ...Perhaps I am being facetious, but if you don't believe me, go see what (e.g.) Ruger offers in 7mm-08. Do a search on that caliber and you get 6 results; Three of these are compact models for "little" people...

I'll need to tell my 6'3" son he needs to dump his 7mm-08!
    :lol2:

i1H4zCd.jpg

16 Gauge (technically, not a rifle caliber but, insert .257 Roberts)

Ok, Now I'm offended!
    :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom