• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Have anyone spent any time behind both of these scopes? Razor Gen 1 or Gen II?

And if so, is the Razor Gen II worth double the price of the Viper PST? Or the 70% more for the Razor Gen 1?

I have spent time behind the Viper HD spotting scope and a Razor HD Gen 1 spotting scope, the the Razor is noticeably better.

But I am trying to convince myself that a Viper Gen II would be a good upgrade to my Viper PST Gen 1, and not go to the Razor.

All would be around 5 - 25x, FFP

FYI, on Amazon, Viper PST Gen II - $999. Razor Gen 1 - $1699. Razor Gen II - $1999

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Large difference from the PST line to the razor line, enough to justify the price increase IMO. I haven't spent any time behind the Gen1 razor, but the gen 2 razor is is very nice.

As always, depends on your intended application.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Looked at Vortex, Bushnell, Leupold and Zeiss. Ended up going with a Meopta Optika6. Czech build quality with German (Schott) ground glass. $699.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Large difference from the PST line to the razor line, enough to justify the price increase IMO. I haven't spent any time behind the Gen1 razor, but the gen 2 razor is is very nice.

As always, depends on your intended application.

Thanks.

I know that the Gen II are nice. A lot of people over on Sniper's Hide dumped some VERY nice glass for them when they came out. People selling Schmidt and Bender and similar for the Razor.

And I was afraid that that the would be good enough to justify the price. My feeling is that the Razor Gen 1 is not work the small savings over the Gen 2.

This will be going on my Rem 700 based .308. Using the PST Gen 1, I have taken it out to 1200 yards.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Check Primary Arms. I picked up a FFP Razor Gen II a few weeks ago for $1500. I can't report on performance yet though other than to say that the clarity and overall construction is top notch, and a noticeable improvement over my other mid-tier scopes.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Nightforce at that price range.

Unpopular opinion here I'm sure. I think that for most people's needs Nightforce is not worth the extra cash. Meaning they are tough as nails, if you are going to bang your rifle around a good bit, its a great choice. SHTF scenario, its going to last. I think that 99% of shooters don't bang their guns around to warrant the increase. They do more damage cleaning them than banging them around.

I've looked through several and most of them are clear while some have funky reticles(a personal thing) and a heavy. Heck I shoot a vortex golden eagle and a sightron S3 so clearly i'm cheap.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Check Primary Arms. I picked up a FFP Razor Gen II a few weeks ago for $1500. I can't report on performance yet though other than to say that the clarity and overall construction is top notch, and a noticeable improvement over my other mid-tier scopes.

Hmm, was that some sale?

Looking now, the Gen II are $1999. They have Gen 1 for $1699.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The Razor has a larger tube and flat out better optics, especially the gen 2. While the upgrade from the PST2 to the Razor 1 may or may not be worth it depending on your budget/performance needs(both great scopes, but in different classes IMO), the Razor gen 2 IMO is worth the $300 over the Gen 1. At least that was my observation, optics are a little easier to find in a store or gunshow, I would definitely want to look through them before making a potentially $2K decision. With Vortex's MAP pricing, you can probably meet or beat Amazon's price locally anyway.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Nightforce at that price range.

Yep.

If you are dropping $2000 on a scope, go Nightforce.

Terry, if you want to shoot my 6.5 CM with a Nightforce scope, lemme know. You gotta find ammo....

Attachments

• 4D04C8DD-5EDF-4B84-B676-F28766EEB39A.jpg
      4D04C8DD-5EDF-4B84-B676-F28766EEB39A.jpg
      112.1 KB · Views: 182

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Have anyone spent any time behind both of these scopes? Razor Gen 1 or Gen II?

And if so, is the Razor Gen II worth double the price of the Viper PST? Or the 70% more for the Razor Gen 1?

I have spent time behind the Viper HD spotting scope and a Razor HD Gen 1 spotting scope, the the Razor is noticeably better.

But I am trying to convince myself that a Viper Gen II would be a good upgrade to my Viper PST Gen 1, and not go to the Razor.

All would be around 5 - 25x, FFP

FYI, on Amazon, Viper PST Gen II - $999. Razor Gen 1 - $1699. Razor Gen II - $1999

I can't help you out with the Razor but there is a noticeable difference in glass between the Viper PST Gen 1 & 2. I have a Gen 1 PST and took it off of my RPR .308 and put it on my RPR .22. My plan is to buy a Gen 2 and put that on my .308.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    https://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/12/21/best-scope/

Notice that the Razor is chalking up a lot of top 10 finishes in those graphs. That is a clue. Also notice the complete lack of Viper PST Gen IIs... that is also a clue.

Well considering none of the top 19 scopes are below $1,400, I wouldn't expect to see a PST Gen2 there. There were only 3 scopes under $2K.
    Just depends on how much money you want to spend.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yep.

If you are dropping $2000 on a scope, go Nightforce.

Terry, if you want to shoot my 6.5 CM with a Nightforce scope, lemme know. You gotta find ammo....

I may see about that.

But as I mentioned, a lot of people over on Sniper's Hyde dumped Night Force, Schmidt and Bender and other very high end scope for Razor Gen 2 when they came out.

enya60h

Dec 10, 2011
    got both razor HD gen 1 and two gen 2 and also have night force 2.2x22 all great scopes i mostly use the razors ,338 lapua and 6.5 creedmoor cant go wrong With The razor HD
    ron knows how to reach me i cut the carpet in your house lol you had bound If You Want To Check them out
    lol i reload so i have ammo

Last edited:

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I’m in my own battle over a pst gen 2 1-6 for 600 dollars vs the razor gen 2 1-6 for 1,400.

I keep seeing the razor is awesome, but not double the price awesome, especially for 25-200 yards.

Then there is the idea of am I really considering spending 1,400 dollars on a Chinese made scope ? Makes 600 sound better lol.

Such hard decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom