• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    "Avila said adding that if he can make a 1 mile shot with the brace, an officer in a 25-75 yard engagement facing off against a threat should have no problem ending the threat with one shot."

Really? Lol... Great shot, but either completely naive or just a arrogant prick.

I doubt I am taking a 25 yard self defense shot, let alone a 75 yard. 75 yards is basically no threat. And any cops standing off at 75 yards better have a rifle handy.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    It seems like this was a PR event from the company producing the brace. His comment is essentially just marketing the brace. He's just saying the brace gives you the ability to be much more accurate with a pistol than firing it the traditional way. Basicallly, "If I can hit a target at a mile, 50 yards is highly doable with this brace".

I can accept that for a calm target situation. And maybe even a situation where a sniper would be required to end a lethal standoff. And as was pointed out... a rifle would be the preferred platform in that case. But I cannot even begin to believe that there would be any "running and gunning" Police involved force on force situation where a Police Officer would be expected to make a single shot stop. EVEN with the brace... which is not going to be carried pre-attached to the Officer's sidearm.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    No disrespect to Jerry but as long as he dinged that plate the balloon would pop from the splash

No disrespect? It's a 2x3 plate of steel at 1,000 yards! Most guys here would take 5-10 tries on that with a rifle and a good scope. He did it in two tries with a pistol, a red dot, and a holdover.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I can accept that for a calm target situation. And maybe even a situation where a sniper would be required to end a lethal standoff. And as was pointed out... a rifle would be the preferred platform in that case. But I cannot even begin to believe that there would be any "running and gunning" Police involved force on force situation where a Police Officer would be expected to make a single shot stop. EVEN with the brace... which is not going to be carried pre-attached to the Officer's sidearm.

It doesn't attach. According to the manufacturer it has a hollow which the grip rests in, and the user holds them together. That is how they get around the ATF ruling the combo an SBR... its just a portable 'bench rest'.

They also stated it was designed be carried on the officer's belt, and intended for officers on foot or bike who wouldn't have access to a long gun until backup arrived.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    No disrespect to Jerry but as long as he dinged that plate the balloon would pop from the splash

Go ahead and try it. My guess is that it would be a long time before you (or most of us here) hit that plate with a pistol at 1,000 yards.
    I've seen that video before but I will say it doesn't look like Jerry has enough angle on that pistol for that round to hit the target at 1,000 yards. I love his videos but that one looks weird.

cornstalk

Mar 13, 2013
    Not sure I'm impressed

I need more details before I can decide whether to be impressed. How big was the target and how many tries did it take? If you shoot 500 rounds at a six foot gong a mile away with someone spotting you, you're bound to hit it eventually. A six foot gong at 2010 yards is about 0.3 MOA. A 10mm bullet is extremely un-aerodynamic beyond 50 yards, and definitely not capable of even 1 MOA at that range. So it would be extreme luck, but not if you had 500 tries.

cornstalk

Mar 13, 2013
    True, and that's what happened. If you watch the video to the very end, he shows that the bullet impacted the lower left of the plate. In fact I agree with the guy that said he'd be lucky to see the balloon at that range. I think Jerry was aiming for the plate, not the balloon.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Go ahead and try it. My guess is that it would be a long time before you (or most of us here) hit that plate with a pistol at 1,000 yards.
    I've seen that video before but I will say it doesn't look like Jerry has enough angle on that pistol for that round to hit the target at 1,000 yards. I love his videos but that one looks weird.

I don't care if it was a lucky shot on his 10,000th attempt

It's still cool

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008

I don’t think most guys here could walk 1000 yards let alone shoot 1000 yards ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom