• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I'm looking for an alternative to Tapatalk to view this and other vBulletin forums. Does anyone have a suggestion?

If not, I have dabbled in Android app development in the past and wouldn't mind developing one. I would need the blessings and cooperation of the admins of course. This would be an Open Source project with all the code on github. Eventually I would want to make it available on the F-Droid app store for free.

Thoughts?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I'm looking for an alternative to Tapatalk to view this and other vBulletin forums. Does anyone have a suggestion?

If not, I have dabbled in Android app development in the past and wouldn't mind developing one. I would need the blessings and cooperation of the admins of course. This would be an Open Source project with all the code on github. Eventually I would want to make it available on the F-Droid app store for free.

Thoughts?

I cannot offer any suggestions and as far as I know Tapatalk is really the leader. It’s not a bad interface. I’m curious to ask what your own app would do that Tapatalk doesn’t?

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    just use any browser because quite frankly I'm tired of seeing the "sent using Tapatalk " as a signature.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I cannot offer any suggestions and as far as I know Tapatalk is really the leader. It’s not a bad interface. I’m curious to ask what your own app would do that Tapatalk doesn’t?

Advertisements and being Open Sourced mostly. I'm concerned about privacy and what data TaT is sharing.

Making it an OpenSource project will invite others to contribute as well. This will make it better than I could on my own.

If you search for "alternatives to tapatalk" you will get many results of people who don't like it.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    MDS actually should display pretty well on your phone's browser. It's the way I've been doing it for years now with several different phones.

Other forums don't seem to be as optimized for it, though.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Sadly I do not have the computer programming skills to contribute to development of an app. Iike many I have just come to accept a certain level of tracking and add placement with our internet activities but do my best to control what I can using VPN, Browser and home network settings.

MDS is configured very well for mobile use but my old eyes like the format of Tapatalk better so if you do develop a simple app make quick navigation and readability at least as good as Tapatalk and I would be interested.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    just use any browser because quite frankly I'm tired of seeing the "sent using Tapatalk " as a signature.

Same here.

DuckDuckGo plays well with this site.

Sent from the back seat of my ‘57 Ford Skyliner using crapachalk :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom