• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    The left side magaziine lip looks like it is bent inward a little at the front which may cause the bolt to ride over. It may be the angle of the photo, though.

Q

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    I hope you sold it, instead of literally trashing it. They go for around $200 on ebay and Gunbroker now.

Well a 20 round mag would be illegal on Ebay (plus I'm done selling on ebay because they now report taxes) and it was a BEAR to get out, I wouldn't knowingly sell someone junk so it went to the dump. That and it was bent, spindled and mutilated.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Well a 20 round mag would be illegal on Ebay (plus I'm done selling on ebay because they now report taxes) and it was a BEAR to get out, I wouldn't knowingly sell someone junk so it went to the dump. That and it was bent, spindled and mutilated.

There are/were a bunch on ebay, listed as "10rd" mags. Crazy stuff.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    When I acquired my SKS, some 30 round duckbill mags were included(before the ban on them). I have tried all them with poor results. Metal and polymer, three different brands. They remain sitting in a parts box, with other things that will likely not be needed, but I hold onto anyway.

Glad to have the original magazine installed and functioning very well. Still love my SKS.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    When I acquired my SKS, some 30 round duckbill mags were included(before the ban on them). I have tried all them with poor results. Metal and polymer, three different brands. They remain sitting in a parts box, with other things that will likely not be needed, but I hold onto anyway.

Glad to have the original magazine installed and functioning very well. Still love my SKS.

Luck of the draw I guess, my duckbill functions perfectly with both metal and plastic 30 rd mags. Poor mans chineeeeee AK which works just as well.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Luck of the draw I guess, my duckbill functions perfectly with both metal and plastic 30 rd mags. Poor mans chineeeeee AK which works just as well.

I have 3 Norinco SKSs converted to take detachable "duckbill" mags (prior to 10/1/2013). Have had no FTF with Tapco 20 rd mags or Archangle 20 or 30 rd mags. Even the two Korean 75 rd drums work well. Had to dremel the Tapco mags to be able to reload them with stripper clips though.

I also have an old USA brand steel mag which has never fed reliably.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    I have 3 Norinco SKSs converted to take detachable "duckbill" mags (prior to 10/1/2013). Have had no FTF with Tapco 20 rd mags or Archangle 20 or 30 rd mags. Even the two Korean 75 rd drums work well. Had to dremel the Tapco mags to be able to reload them with stripper clips though.

I also have an old USA brand steel mag which has never fed reliably.

Should the nuts get their way duckbills and even stock SKS's will be on the chop block. I'm seriously thinking of using it for trade bait.... they WERE worth 4 bills a couple years ago, now... who knows?

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Should the nuts get their way duckbills and even stock SKS's will be on the chop block. I'm seriously thinking of using it for trade bait.... they WERE worth 4 bills a couple years ago, now... who knows?

The duckbill "conversion" (aka removing the fixed mag) is already illegal here in MD. Had to have been done before the 2013 MD assault weapons ban to be legal to possess. The duckbill mags are legal to own here, though, as long as you buy them somewhere else.

So right after the balloon goes up a lot of MD SKS's that weren't converted to take duckbills before the ban might be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom