What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Testing out a new G34 slide on my 17 frame (and shoot my old Colt). Shot like a dream! I like my G17, but I think I light love a 34. The extra length and bit of extra weight makes recoil that much less (not that 9 is super strong) and the extra sight radius is nice.

I agree on the accuracy, it sure does help

Morning, lunch time and evening, took therapy expanding out a .357 sizing due to .358 then sized some powder coated Bullets with it I molded up over a week ago and powder coated. Prepped and primed 250 45acp acquires today that was decapped and cleaned.

I tried to cerrosafe cast a chamber, big .41 Swiss but I kept getting it stuck and had to melt it out. I’ll read up on it and maybe try again. Maybe start a thread on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwfrench

Aug 21, 2014
    Frederick, MD
    Started prepping my last batch of 350 30-06 brass I bought from CMP 3 years ago. They had 250 round bags of brass for $25, so I bought 6 bags. Turned out the brass was supposed to be for in-store sale only, but got put up on the on-line web page by accident. They honored the sales anyway. Dumped the bags into containers that hold 350 each after depriming and cleaning. Finish sizing and trimming these and I'll have 1500 30-06 brass all ready to load when needed.
    Finished swaging the primer pockets, next is to size, then trim.

Wahama90

I picked this up for $20 off the marketplace.

Attachments

• PXL_20210220_001225346.jpg
      PXL_20210220_001225346.jpg
      122.9 KB · Views: 202

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I finished decapping about 2800 once fired Mil 9mm brass.

I am really liking the Lee APP.

Next step is swaging the primer pockets.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I finished decapping about 2800 once fired Mil 9mm brass.

I am really liking the Lee APP.

Next step is swaging the primer pockets.

I am loving mine. Though still playing with the feed jaws. It isn’t liking 38spc without being really careful. Might just be a rimmed case feed issue (it works okay, but I have to slow down on the opening stroke or cases don’t fall in the jaws). Still a ton faster than my turret press, but like half the speed as 9mm and 45 to be careful. Maybe I’ll get it tweaked just right at some point.

After welding a repro hand for my Colt OP and fitting it (hand was too short) and getting it functioning flawlessly now, I loaded up 24 rounds of 38spc using my new Lee FCD. Game changer! The chambers on my Colt are tight and using lead I just can’t get a taper crimp just right. Rounds almost always need to be inserted in the chambers with a fair amount of force. Not whacked in, but they need a push to seat. Now with the Lee FCD, they just plunk right in!

Awesome!!! So much more fun to load 38spc now.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am loving mine. Though still playing with the feed jaws. It isn’t liking 38spc without being really careful. Might just be a rimmed case feed issue (it works okay, but I have to slow down on the opening stroke or cases don’t fall in the jaws). Still a ton faster than my turret press, but like half the speed as 9mm and 45 to be careful. Maybe I’ll get it tweaked just right at some point.

After welding a repro hand for my Colt OP and fitting it (hand was too short) and getting it functioning flawlessly now, I loaded up 24 rounds of 38spc using my new Lee FCD. Game changer! The chambers on my Colt are tight and using lead I just can’t get a taper crimp just right. Rounds almost always need to be inserted in the chambers with a fair amount of force. Not whacked in, but they need a push to seat. Now with the Lee FCD, they just plunk right in!

Awesome!!! So much more fun to load 38spc now.

I have found that what works best is to place my left hand so I can bump the little lever that opens the jaws with my thumb.

I bump it down and to the left to get the carriage moving.

That has sped things up a lot.

On another note, I went into a box that I thought had 99mm we had bagged for sale (some buddies and I bought a couple of pallets of brass from DRMO at Ft. Meade). And the top two bags were 9mm (1500 pieces total) and the rest are 5.56 (about 2000 pieces).

Good news and bad news. :D

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have found that what works best is to place my left hand so I can bump the little lever that opens the jaws with my thumb.

I bump it down and to the left to get the carriage moving.

That has sped things up a lot.

On another note, I went into a box that I thought had 99mm we had bagged for sale (some buddies and I bought a couple of pallets of brass from DRMO at Ft. Meade). And the top two bags were 9mm (1500 pieces total) and the rest are 5.56 (about 2000 pieces).

Good news and bad news. :D

Doesn’t sound too bad to me :-)

I’ll give the suggestion a try, thanks!

I also found out today that a Lee bench quick change plate fits my Lyman T-mag turret press. I’d used the template to make a wood mount and it doesn’t work well. Wiggles loose after a few dozen operations. Especially twisting the turret. I got a plate figuring I might need to drill it. Nope, one of the hole patterns works so long as I use some relatively large washers on it. It is extremely secure on the plate and the plate is extremely secure on the bench!!!

Made my whole darn day between that and the Lee FCD working out. And getting my Colt OP working perfectly yesterday. Like one awesome weekend.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I also found out today that a Lee bench quick change plate fits my Lyman T-mag turret press. I’d used the template to make a wood mount and it doesn’t work well. Wiggles loose after a few dozen operations. Especially twisting the turret. I got a plate figuring I might need to drill it. Nope, one of the hole patterns works so long as I use some relatively large washers on it. It is extremely secure on the plate and the plate is extremely secure on the bench!!!

Made my whole darn day between that and the Lee FCD working out. And getting my Colt OP working perfectly yesterday. Like one awesome weekend.

I will have to try it with my Lyman Orange Crush press.

I had it bolted to the bench, but if it fits the plate, I can swap the APP into the same bench space.

Although, for the APP work, the Lee tripod stand with a cheap stool from Amazon works well.

I have it in the living room so I can watch TV while I run the APP.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    My usual range blasting ammo stock for my 300blkout ar pistol was looking a little bit thin.

Loaded up another 200 160 grain pc cast supers.

d320d474c27ea17c17fcba25c1bdf962.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Ok, are you an engineer or an artist? :innocent0

Guzma,
    Those look PURDY!

As Melnic pointed out, if you found some lime green pc casts at AGC, then they are probably myn's :D. Up close, my pc casts are all scruffed up from being thrown in wire bins, baked, and violently thrown in a bucket of water to quench and separate any sticking bullets. My camera makes them look better than they appear. I must have one of those default filters set on my camera to make everything look perfect :innocent0

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I will have to try it with my Lyman Orange Crush press.

I had it bolted to the bench, but if it fits the plate, I can swap the APP into the same bench space.

Although, for the APP work, the Lee tripod stand with a cheap stool from Amazon works well.

I have it in the living room so I can watch TV while I run the APP.

Yeah I am probably going to get the stand sooner rather than later. Likely once I get a Lee Classic. Or at least I am thinking of getting a Lee Classic at some point. Let me have two presses setup at once without my bench being a line of presses.

Can leave the App on the stand and can swap between presses on my bench for loading. Of course if I end up with a Lee ACP at some point that’ll completely mess with that. I guess I’ll just have to swap between what is on the stand then.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Also, is it that ranges are getting picked over for cases to reload lately...but I’ve found several loaded rounds laying on the ground both of my last two visits to the range.

I’ll occasionally find something that looks like it missed the misfire can, but this is perfectly good looking Ammo just laying on the gravel (or a couple times grass). The 22s go in the misfire can just to be sure, but the other stuff is getting pulled apart and primed case and bullet reused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom