• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jd2020

Nov 20, 2020
    Queen Anne’s Co
    I want a lever action rifle. I’ve shot a few and really enjoyed it, so I want a Chuck Connors/John Wayne/American as apple pie-rifle (without the large loop-don’t like it). I have some military caliber stuff but really just shoot.22, shotgun, and muzzleloader.
    My kids and I hunt deer and small game and we target shoot a good bit. I did all my deer hunting with a muzzleloader this season because I don’t own a straight-walled cartridge rifle. I like muzzleloaders and like the black powder. I have ambitions to reload. I have some smokeless powders and primers that I’ve lucked into over the last year or two when they were cheap and they were offered as part of a sale. Even though I’m not sure they will all be useful yet.
    So what caliber to get? I want a cartridge I can deer hunt with. A cartridge that’s relatively simple to reload. As versatile a caliber as possible would be nice too, I suppose. Ability to use same moulds, powder for other calibers or even a shared caliber with a revolver would be an advantage. Somewhat interested in loading black powder/ having that option. And the cowboy carbine aspect of using it as a self defense/ shtf gun. I’ve been considering 4 calibers:

357 mag negatives: little light for meeting the MD 1200 ft. Lbs law I think.
    Some folks complain about it being snappy and harsh for the energy.
    Positives: smaller so cheaper components. Small game loads very doable, many revolver options if wish. Flat shooting for pistol caliber.

44 mag negatives: slightly higher component costs. Slightly higher recoil and blast.
    Positives: does everything the 357 does but better.

45 colt negatives: seems so similar to the .44 I’m not sure. Some talk about it having thinner brass case walls?
    Positives: similar to.44. Again, seems very comparable. Better for black powder powder reloads cause larger case size?

45-70 negatives: overkill for whitetail. Increased cost to reload and shoot. Recoil. Fewer rounds capacity rifle.
    Positives: true rifle caliber. Could go elk hunting etc with it if I win the lottery. Way more energy than pcc. Can load down to some degree... not sure about shooting a rabbit with it though. A better defensive round against predators or perps.
    I may very well sell my tactical type 5.56 and 9mm carbines to fund a couple of these lever actions that we will hunt with and reload.
    Thanks for any suggestions of best caliber to get into here. Secondary consideration is the make/model..

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    There cannot be only one.

For my money: one in .22LR because you're morally obliged to have that. Then, one in .45-70 because ... the same reason. And then the third one in either .357 or .44mag (which means you're also good with .38 or .44 special).

I've also got a couple in .45LC, because of cowboy action shooting. Well, that's the same reason for the one I have in .44 ... but in real life, the .22LR flavor is what gets shot the most because it's endless and cheap fun.

The missus loves her 1873 Winchester in 45LC, but it is a long heavy beast and not cheap to shoot, so lately she's been picking up the Henry .22 for some go-to plinking fun on lots of goofy little steel targets.

I suppose if I had to choose just ONE (the pain!) it would be either the .45-70 or the .44 mag. Very versatile guns, capable of everything from soft target stuff to knock-down-large-animal stuff.

My .44mag lever gun is a Rossi - it's very compact, easy to carry, accurate ... but it's the least elegant of the bunch and after hundreds and hundreds of rounds through it, is still the least buttery action. I know I could work on that, just haven't got around to it. My Uberti and Henry guns have fantastic actions and are easy on the eyes.

Good luck! It really won't stop with just one. But what the heck! Start with a .22 since that's a great way to break the ice and you'll always find yourself shooting it no matter what else you have.

Jd2020

Nov 20, 2020
    Queen Anne’s Co
    Thanks occam, appreciate the feedback. We have several.22s including older Winchester pumps and Remington speed master. I will definitely get a .22 lever, but the deer caliber and the excuse to start reloading is probably getting my wallet first.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    How to boil this down to fewest words possible....

45-70: Buy this one only on purpose.

44 Mag: the one I'd choose if deer hunting is primary consideration.

45 Colt: I love this cartridge, but not if you don't handload currently.

357 Mag: Cartridge comes alive in rifle barrel. Can be Maryland legal for deer with correct loads. Will be... IMO....the most affordable and fun gun of the bunch overall.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    How to boil this down to fewest words possible....

45-70: Buy this one only on purpose.

44 Mag: the one I'd choose if deer hunting is primary consideration.

45 Colt: I love this cartridge, but not if you don't handload currently.

357 Mag: Cartridge comes alive in rifle barrel. Can be Maryland legal for deer with correct loads. Will be... IMO....the most affordable and fun gun of the bunch overall.

I’ve got levers in .22, .357, .30-30, and .45-70. The one that comes out the most to the range is the .357- soft shooting 24” octagonal Rossi with that barrel. The .45-70 is the true bad-ass round though IMHO, if you needed one round to do anything and everything effectively that’s a pretty solid choice.

bam-az

Nov 30, 2015
    I’ve got levers in .22, .357, .30-30, and .45-70. The one that comes out the most to the range is the .357- soft shooting 24” octagonal Rossi with that barrel. The .45-70 is the true bad-ass round though IMHO, if you needed one round to do anything and everything effectively that’s a pretty solid choice.

I own all of those calibers too, and I second the argument for a 357/38. It's the funnest one to shoot. 38spl is a powder puff in a lever. Very easy to train on and won't hurt a child's shoulder if you ever train on it. You can load up a 357 to make some very stout loads too for hunting.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Depends on your priorities .

.44Mag - If your highest priority is hunting , with factory load ammunition . For light to medium loads , you need to handload .

.45Colt - Mainstream factory loads have you covered for light to medium . In sufficiently strong rifles ( think M92 clones, modern Henry , etc) capable of at least " Ruger Level " loads , handloads or boutique ammo will handle hunting nicely . ( In non- panic times , the Georgia Arms " Deer Stopper " .45 Colt is very reasonable $ compared to the Boutiques .)

.357/ .38 - Standard .38spl is very pleasant to shoot . For hunting the big issue is bullet performance @ 1700-1900 plus fps . Cast or JSP will penetrate like the dickens w/o expanding . Most JHP is designed for revolver velocities . The arbitrary Maryland 1200fps is a catch-22 , where lighter bullets more easily meet the requirement On Paper , but as a class 180gr will perform better . Yes , I have hunted with .357 levergun .

FWIW - Brian Pearce thinks .357 leverguns are just dandy for Mule Deer ..... With his 42K cup handloads , with 158 Gold Dot or XTP @ 2000-2100 fps .

.45-70 - It is what it is , with a cult of True Believers . If you want Really Big Bullets , .45-70 is your Huckleberry . To unlock the versatility , you need to handload . Specifically for deer , the mainstream 300gr JHP actually work well , and are fairly mild by .45-70 context .

Not mentioned - .41 Magum . My Late Shooting & Handloading Partner #1 was a .41 True Believer , and had .41 Marlin that I shot a fair bit , and it was Sweet .He worked up a 265 WFN @ 1100fps that gave good 100yd accuracy , and would completely penetrate anything that walked in North Carolina .

But it's a Niche within a Niche . Actual hunters and shooters would have to seriously battle Marlin Collectors to get one .

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    For what you are talking 44 mag. Give you the ouch you need for deer. Preserve your labrum for follow up shots. I thought a lot about a 45 70. But cost of reloading, and the brutal recoil made me come to my senses. Now if I lived out west and you were talking possible interface with Grizzlies and such I would give in and get the 45 70. For what we hunt out here the 44 mag is the ticket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Since you plan on handloading I’d go with 45-70.
    My 1895 45-70 with factory loads( trapdoor safe) recoils less that a 1894 with factory 240 grain hollow points.
    Reloading 45-70 you can make some very mild loads.
    I’ve loaded trailboss powder and a 405 grain bullet to 900 FPS, no recoil to speak of.
    I can also load it up, with other powders, to make some real thumper loads.

A Winchester 94 in 30-30 seems to recoil less than the marlin in 44 mag.

I’d go 45-70, it’s a lot more flexible.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I’d go 45-70 as long as you can handle the recoil. I used mine on a deer this year and it dropped the 8pt where he stood. It actually spun him 180 before he hit the ground. I am shooting Hornady Lever Evolution 325 gr FTX. Recoil is stout but manageable. You can never have too much horsepower.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    454 Casull! I know it’s hard to find a Rossi chambered in it but out of all my lever guns and I have many in 444 Marlin, 44 mag, 45 LC and 357 mag it’s my favorite to shot with the power to take a dear easily. It’s easy on the shoulder too!

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    If you're not reloading now it's probably a bad time to try to start. Depending on what and how much you have sell the primers and powder and you may be able to afford which ever rifle you decide on.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A matter of context . If you're used to shooting standard .38spl in it with next to no recoil , a full power .357 is quite noticeable on the back end .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom