I'm a hypocrite and I think I'm okay with it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Romanservices

Nov 8, 2012
    Pasadena
    warning opinions and observations, don't be offended.

I'm a bit of a hoarder/prepper when it comes to guns and ammo. Perhaps not the the extent of others but I can hold my own and I'm generally pleased with what I have.

I've recently been looking to add to my collection, nothing particular just seeing what's out there that interests me. While on the hunt I run across a series of "Emperor Arms KING 12" shotguns on buds. The one that got me to question my self was the zombie green version complete with blood splatter and tally marks. I sat there with this strange feeling that I was trying to process then it finally hit me. I was actually offended, not by the gun or the tasteless paint job but by the blatant marketing ploy. This gun serves no practical purpose other than to cater to child minded adults. I then began to look at all the other shotguns as bullpups, AR and "tactical" with the same realization. It's all marketing to sell more and more guns to dumb consumers like my self.

I've already got a number of shotguns in different configurations and having a bullpup 12 gauge wont make me any safer tomorrow than I am today. A Remington 870 Express plain stock does the job just fine. Do I only want it because it looks cool? Sure it has a magazine with a capacity of 5 but last I checked that less then 6+1 on my 870. Lets not forget magazine capacity laws...

So did I order that bullpup 12 gauge, well duh I said I was a hypocrite didn't I? Even though I'm disgusted with marketing decisions behind some of these gun designs I can't wait to add some of the finer examples to my collection.

Lets be honest the S is just as likely to HTF as the second coming of Christ or aliens landing on the white house lawn. That's not going to stop me from gathering up enough crap to ensure I have a false sense of security that my family will have enough to survive the coming apocalypse.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    I have an 870 Express and I can only shoot about 10 rnds at a time at the range. It's a teeth rattler. I would love to get a semi auto shotgun cuz I hear the recoil is much less. So use that as an excuse!

viiper

Re-Member
    Dec 3, 2008
    Carroll County
    Lets be honest the S is just as likely to HTF as the second coming of Christ or aliens landing on the white house lawn. That's not going to stop me from gathering up enough crap to ensure I have a false sense of security that my family will have enough to survive the coming apocalypse.

Reasonable thinking I can follow.... most any day I drive to work I'm not going to get into a car accident, however I still want a decent car with airbags and will put on my seatbelt to buy down my risk. Different folks have different experiences with different understandings to come up with different ways to mitigate to different levels of what's acceptable risk to them. And why not enjoy and find utility in what you do towards that. That's what a free country ought to allow.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    warning opinions and observations, don't be offended.

I'm a bit of a hoarder/prepper when it comes to guns and ammo. Perhaps not the the extent of others but I can hold my own and I'm generally pleased with what I have.

I've recently been looking to add to my collection, nothing particular just seeing what's out there that interests me. While on the hunt I run across a series of "Emperor Arms KING 12" shotguns on buds. The one that got me to question my self was the zombie green version complete with blood splatter and tally marks. I sat there with this strange feeling that I was trying to process then it finally hit me. I was actually offended, not by the gun or the tasteless paint job but by the blatant marketing ploy. This gun serves no practical purpose other than to cater to child minded adults. I then began to look at all the other shotguns as bullpups, AR and "tactical" with the same realization. It's all marketing to sell more and more guns to dumb consumers like my self.

I've already got a number of shotguns in different configurations and having a bullpup 12 gauge wont make me any safer tomorrow than I am today. A Remington 870 Express plain stock does the job just fine. Do I only want it because it looks cool? Sure it has a magazine with a capacity of 5 but last I checked that less then 6+1 on my 870. Lets not forget magazine capacity laws...

So did I order that bullpup 12 gauge, well duh I said I was a hypocrite didn't I? Even though I'm disgusted with marketing decisions behind some of these gun designs I can't wait to add some of the finer examples to my collection.

Magazine capacity laws only apply to purchasing or transferring within the state of Maryland, not owning. Feel free to go to VA, PA, or any other state and get 15, 20, or larger magazines for your bullpup and bring them back and own/use them without issue in Maryland.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    [Kev308];6241862 said:
    I have an 870 Express and I can only shoot about 10 rnds at a time at the range. It's a teeth rattler. I would love to get a semi auto shotgun cuz I hear the recoil is much less. So use that as an excuse!

Don't expect miracles but yes they can be less. Best try it first if you're that sensitive.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Is a green zombie gun with fake blood splotches and kill notches marketing? Yes. Is an 870 with the stock, stock, the equivalent of a bullpup for home defense? Try swinging them both around in the house in the dark.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Don't expect miracles but yes they can be less. Best try it first if you're that sensitive.

but it is not as much reduction as people seem to expect. I have a Baikal MP-153 and its a heavy semi and 3.5" waterfowl or 3" slugs make that muzzle jump like shooting a 30.06. I stopped shooting 3.5" shells when one day I was in a boat and couldn't get a stance and fired and fell back on the blind. I said "Yeah, that was too much!" :D

[Kev308];6241862 said:

Please don't take this as me being condescending...
    Have you been taught on how to properly hold a shotgun to deal with full power loads? Having issues with 10rds of 12 gauge seems to me that you're not holding the shotgun properly.
    (If those 10rds were 3.5" slugs or buckshot, disregard my statement)

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    but it is not as much reduction as people seem to expect. I have a Baikal MP-153
    Did you adjust the gas system way down for the heavy loads? The MP153 isn't auto adjusting.

Some gas guns are **MUCH** softer shooting than a pump. The two that rank consistently at the top for lowest recoil are the VersaMax and I think the A400? Someone took scientific measurements but I can't find the article anymore. Tons of youtube vids comparing these guns vs pumps so you can see the difference. I have the VM tactical and can confirm its a night/day difference compared to a pump when doing side by side comparisons.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    [Kev308];6241862 said:

If you have to let loose 10+ rds in a home defense situation, recoil is low on the list of your problems. :P
    If your just shooting for fun you don’t loose much except some recoil by going to the 20 gauge. A good SA would be nice though.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    People buy and build guns for a lot of different reasons, defense, classes, competition, history, or "F-it, thats why". Liking something that looks hokey especially when you are honest with yourself about it doesn't make you a hypocrite. Sometimes something is cool because it is absurd, not in spite of it.

5fc7bnpb0ji61.jpg

Romanservices

Nov 8, 2012
    Pasadena
    Is a green zombie gun with fake blood splotches and kill notches marketing? Yes. Is an 870 with the stock, stock, the equivalent of a bullpup for home defense? Try swinging them both around in the house in the dark.

Although Yes I agree a bullpup does have an advantage in CQB but neither fit in my nightstand drawer.

I hope we are talking about intruders coming into your home in this situation. If this is a real and valid concern I'd recommend securing the home exterior as a primary defense. I'm talking bars on all windows, steel entry/exit doors, very loud alarm, lots of motion lights and a good dog. I'd rather avoid a gunfight and live than be in a gunfight and not. The last thing you want is to be taken by surprise.

If you are worried about SWAT coming in, bullpup or not you ain't gonna win.

I've made the same argument/justification mostly based on repeating something I heard from someone else. Could that also be marketing or fear mongering to entice people to purchase more and more?

I didn't know I needed 6 months supply of toilet paper until I was told I can't get any. Did someone tell me at some point that a regular shotgun isn't good for home defense because try swinging that around in the dark? Yep, have I said that to others? Yep! Is it true? nope! Are 100% of my weapons locked in one or more safes where they should be? Yep! would I have time to get one out if someone were some how bypass the alarm, silence the dog, quietly break down a secure door or quietly cut through the bars on the windows? not interested in finding out!

Do I actually have bars on all my windows, nah. Any guess as to what I'm going to be buying next now that I fear mongered my self :smoke:

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    Please don't take this as me being condescending...
    Have you been taught on how to properly hold a shotgun to deal with full power loads? Having issues with 10rds of 12 gauge seems to me that you're not holding the shotgun properly.
    (If those 10rds were 3.5" slugs or buckshot, disregard my statement)

I've been reloading slugs and shooting factory slugs from a sitting bench position.

Nowhere except private property will let you shoot anything else.

ArmedInMd

Jun 9, 2008
    [Kev308];6242510 said:
    I've been reloading slugs and shooting factory slugs from a sitting bench position.

Nowhere except private property will let you shoot anything else.

If you join the AGC range they allow you to fire bird and buckshot at the range.

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    I've been on kick watching reruns of "The Last Alaskans" also been wanting a centerfire revolver for quite a while now. So that combination turns into me buying a 7 1/2 " stainless super Blackhawk 44 mag that I need about as much as anyone needs a zombie painted bullpup shotgun with tally marks. Despite me committing to my self, no new guns I don't have ammo for, here I am ready for a grizzly bear attack in southern md, minus the magnum ammo, found a few specials. But it sure is cool and I can't help smiling when I look at it, show it off to my friends and proudly wear it on my hip while on my property.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Roman... , the OP certainly makes lots of points on top of each other . If he has worked out things for himself in his own situation , more power to him ! But a lot of what he puts force is neither universal , nor a given .

This was a Shotgun discussion , not a comprehensive home security discussion .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom