• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Can anyone measure the length of a GEW 98/M98 front barrel band spring (the one with the dimple that hooks into the nose cap) mm preferable.

They look like this: https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1647&idcategory=53

K98 front spring won't do as I need the pin-tail on it.

I need to see if it could be finagled to work for a Berthier 1907/15 front band spring.

Thanks!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I've got a GEW 98 that I can measure. Also, I might have a Berthier band spring in the spares bin. Will have to dig into the pile to see. Wondering if a Gras or Lebel band would work as I think they're identical to each other, might work on the Berthier too. Another item to check when I get home from work. I can measure a Berthier band and compare it to a Lebel or Gras band. Having all this stuff in the mawkie cave does pay off occasionally. BTW, is this for the carbine stock you got from me or a different project with a Berthier rifle? Just to be sure...

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I've got a GEW 98 that I can measure. Also, I might have a Berthier band spring in the spares bin. Will have to dig into the pile to see. Wondering if a Gras or Lebel band would work as I think they're identical to each other, might work on the Berthier too. Another item to check when I get home from work. I can measure a Berthier band and compare it to a Lebel or Gras band. Having all this stuff in the mawkie cave does pay off occasionally. BTW, is this for the carbine stock you got from me or a different project with a Berthier rifle? Just to be sure...

It's for the stock I got from you. Seems that the carbine stock hardware was actually 190/15 in terms of the band springs and nose cap/band. The M16-specific stocks actually used a block that included the bayonet lug that rests in some inletting on the top and bottom of the forend of the stock. The band spring is then held in place against that metal piece with a screw. The forend on the stock I got from you has the push-in type band spring up front that was used on the 1907/15 Berthiers. I'm wondering if your stock was actually a duffel cut, or if that was a factory splice to use a good existing stock when they re-arsenaled these.

Edit: Also, given that the use of the 1907/15 band spring means there's no bayonet lug, I'll be looking for a standard rifle front band I would assume?

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -I took photos of a couple of carbines, very early w. inletted cleaning rod, no HG and a later model with HG, and stacking rod. The Berthier carbine used a unique bayonet so the lug is totally different from the Berthier rifle and Lebel.
    Also took a photo of a 07/15 and GEW 98 front band springs. The Mauser spring is 0.2" shorter so probably not a good choice.
    I have a middle band spring if you need it. And I checked a Lebel and a Gras and the upper band spring appears to be the same as the Berthier rifle. So if it's a repaired/un-bubba'd forearm from a Berthier rifle then a band spring from a Lebel/Gras/Berthier works. And you'd use the upper band from a Berthier rifle.

Attachments

• IMGP9346.JPG
      IMGP9346.JPG
      41.5 KB · Views: 224
    • IMGP9347.JPG
      IMGP9347.JPG
      49.8 KB · Views: 212
    • IMGP9348.JPG
      IMGP9348.JPG
      37.3 KB · Views: 214
    • IMGP9349.JPG
      IMGP9349.JPG
      44.7 KB · Views: 225

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Yep, same as your 07/15. The stock has the rear band spring already, so the front spring is all I needed. It's inbound from France as I actually found it on a site from over there. PM'ed the source to you since they even have the carbine and full length clearing rods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom