CA newspaper obtains CCW permit holder personal info, whines when people find out

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    CA newspaper forces sheriff to give them records of concealed carry permit holders

The sheriff sent a letter to all CCW permit holders letting them know the newspaper was given their identities

The newspaper then flips out with a huge outcry over how they are being put in danger by the sheriff telling private law abiding citizens that the newspaper has been given their personal information

Of all the damn nerve! The MSM are tyrants playing victim!?

https://americanmilitarynews.com/20...l-concealed-carriers-identities-to-newspaper/

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    Put the home address and phone numbers, with a picture of all employees of the paper on the internet.

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    Put the home address and phone numbers, with a picture of all employees of the paper on the internet.

Also make them get a media license before they are allowed to publish anything. If the 2A requires a license there is no reason press can't also be forced to have to go through training and register their info.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Also make them get a media license before they are allowed to publish anything. If the 2A requires a license there is no reason press can't also be forced to have to go through training and register their info.

What these morons in the press fail to realize is that they will be forced to register with the government to speak as soon as they are successful in stopping gun ownership

The government will call it common sense free speech laws

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    “We use this information to investigate trends”, really, what trends? Will you be asking for driver licenses next to see who drives, hunting licenses to see who hunts? Total B.S.

Attachments

• 6558D0E4-A534-449F-9954-FE076B1B19FA.jpg
      6558D0E4-A534-449F-9954-FE076B1B19FA.jpg
      40.5 KB · Views: 774

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If they wanted trends they could have asked for that.

Gee, Sheriff, we’d like to know how many citizens in the county age 21-30, 31-40, 41-50, 51-60 and 61 and > have CCWs. Can you also give us a separate break down by gender and then by ethnicity?

Thanks, have a nice day.

THAT is how trends and statistics are done. Not “please give us the personal information about every CCW holder in the county”

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    My question would be are they going to get CCW info on SF and LA as well?

Let's see how the rich & famous hypocrites would react to this...........

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Hypocrites. It's ok for them to have your personal data but not the other way around.

I'd like to know how the Sheriff has to legally give up the names of CCW holders but yet can be forced to conceal FOIA request makers.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    “We use this information to investigate trends”, really, what trends? Will you be asking for driver licenses next to see who drives, hunting licenses to see who hunts? Total B.S.

"Unfortunately, the sheriff sought to play up distrust in media when it became clear that they cannot trust the media."

A FOIA request becomes a public record, yes? I think it's perfectly valid to publish a list, publicly, of who is accessing public records. You know, for "trends analysis."

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I would prefer if the Sheriff sent the name, address, and picture of everyone at the paper to each of the CCW holders. If the media feel threatened then good, bc that is exactly how the CCW holders feel.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Unless CA state law says otherwise there is nothing in the FOIA that states requesters cannot be made publicly available.

One thing I wonder is if the license stuff side steps current law. Because I know ATF cannot reveal the identity of firearms purchasers and IIRC that includes tax stamp owners. But I guess licensing falls to the state and no such law protects people there. Which is a shame.

CCW, driver’s license, whatever kind of license it is I don’t think anyone should have that information without a valid need to know. And media research is never a valid need to know.

Confirming a driver’s license is valid for, say an alcohol purchase, is a valid need to know.

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    And media research is never a valid need to know.

Confirming a driver’s license is valid for, say an alcohol purchase, is a valid need to know.

What you mean fear mongering and trying to scare people for clicks and views isn't fair business? :lol:

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    If the media has a right to the information...

The private citizen has a right to know who is asking for that information when their name and information is included in the data.

The MSM can eat it.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    didnt the Sheriff do the same thing a Bank or other retail place does when your private info was "stolen" or accessed by someone not authorized? You let the people know that someone may have their information.

Sheriff did the right thing by letting CCW holders now.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Just another of the many reasons why I will NEVER get a "permit" or a "license" to exercise my constitutional right.

Attachments

• ccw.jpg
      ccw.jpg
      67.8 KB · Views: 297

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    There is a law there that does indeed state that some CCW info is public.
    There was a lawyer who used to help clients get CCWs by finding out what exactly constituted "good cause" in that county. IIRC, they were able to obtain the redacted "good cause" statements of successful applicants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom