• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    New AR. I had some carbon build up around the gas block under the front sight.

I researched and see a lot of opinions ranging from "total normal for a new gun" to "ermahgerd it's gonna blow up!"

Most of the opinions lean towards it being not a big deal and that a small leak on a new gun will deal itself with carbon buildup relatively quickly

What say this forum? Is that normal?

This is a factory gun, not a home built. Ruger, not some off brand built with spare parts.

The carbon build up isn't crazy. Just enough that I could notice it was there in the flouresecent lights if the range where I zeroed it. (You know how it looks kinda brown under those lights?) At home I couldn't barely tell it was there. It wasn't turning my hand black while shooting or anything.

Rifle shoots fine. But I had 2 rounds jam when cycling which in a way consistent with the bolt carrier not coming back far enough. (like when you try to slowly cycle a round by pulling the bolt carrier back just enough to grab the next round instead of pulling the charging handle all the way back and letting the spring push it at full speed). That has me second guessing if a gas leak was preventing the bolt from pushing back all the way.

But it was only 2 rounds. If there was a major gas leak in the system I'd think it would be every round not feeding properly. Not just 2. Both rounds were from the same box of ammo, and could mean poor quality control on the rounds and didn't have the right amount of powder. (Winchester Target rounds were the problem children. I had another 2 boxes of a different brand that ran through fine)

So is the small carbon build up on a new rifle a problem? Should it go away on its own? And do you think it is related to the 2 rounds that failed to feed properly? Or do I need to take it back to the store and let them look at it?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Post up a picture of it, but gas blocks generally aren't supposed to leak. That's gas not going back through the system.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Winchester white box is not great ammo, so don't let that influence you too much.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Agree with others.. A little leakage is normal. If you start having more cycling issues then yes, I'd have someone take a look. Two failures with the comment "rifle shoots fine" on a new gun doesn't suggest much.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Winchester white box is not great ammo, so don't let that influence you too much.

It was this stuff (not my photo...just one I found online)

I went cheap on ammo to zero the new rifle. Worked fine for getting a good zero. Held a tight group and was consistent. Just had 2 feed failures.

If not for the feed failures I probably wouldn't have given the carbon around the gas block a 2nd thought. Rifle shot great by every other measure.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpeg
      thumbnail.jpeg
      19.2 KB · Views: 375

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Agree with others.. A little leakage is normal. If you start having more cycling issues then yes, I'd have someone take a look. Two failures with the comment "rifle shoots fine" on a new gun doesn't suggest much.

It's my first brand new rifle in a while....or ever.

I'm usually a fan used broken in guns because I'm a cheapskate. A little oil and some love and they shoot like new. I have ample trigger time on AR-15's, M-4's and M-16's but all were well used. New AR's have their own set of quirks that I'm not as familiar with.

Also...a big thank you to everyone in this thread. I had a simple question that was bugging me and multiple people jumped right in with helpful friendly responses.

I found this forum 2 months ago when I got kicked off a bicycling forum for "discussing guns" (by telling someone that if a guy with a gun was trying to steal your bike to just give it to them because the bike isn't worth bringing fists to a gun fight over).

I decided I needed a forum where moderators weren't hippie fascists who freaked the eff out over the mere mention of "the g word" and you guys have not disappointed! What a great community this forum is!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Lube well.
    If you want you can load a mag one round at a time and keep making sure the bolt holds open after the last round. A bolt can go back enough to pull the next round but I'm pretty sure, that the last round open, it has to go further back to make that happen.
    ITs a test I do on all my AR builds I've done or when I've swapped stuff. Lubing the bolt is something you will see preached lots and lots here on MDS.

Clandestine in the School of American Rifle did a lube video using Mobile grease and oil that I follow generally. I may not follow it all the time but if I'm having trouble, its the first thing I do.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lube well.
    If you want you can load a mag one round at a time and keep making sure the bolt holds open after the last round. A bolt can go back enough to pull the next round but I'm pretty sure, that the last round open, it has to go further back to make that happen.
    ITs a test I do on all my AR builds I've done or when I've swapped stuff. Lubing the bolt is something you will see preached lots and lots here on MDS.

Clandestine in the School of American Rifle did a lube video using Mobile grease and oil that I follow generally. I may not follow it all the time but if I'm having trouble, its the first thing I do.

Yes, absolutely run it wet and keep it lubed.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Lube well.

I follow the same (SOTAR alum too) and run mine wet... :D:D:D

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Yes, absolutely run it wet and keep it lubed.

That's what she said.

Also I didn't even think of this when I first posted the thread but there was some oil around the gas block too. Again not tons. The barrel wasn't wet. But there was oil leaking out of the gas block. More like a misty spray than an actual leak.

It was a brand new gun so I did have it oiled like crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom