• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    I have a Winchester model 70, 30-06

I have had it for 20 some odd years. I don't get to fire it much but it shoots well when I do. It's in good shape. No rust or other blemishes.

Today I started wondering what it's worth and found a HUGE range in price tags on the model 70

What makes them valuable?

Mine is nothing special. Composite stock instead of wood. Probably made late 1990's but I'm guessing. Any idea of value? Or what factors I need to know to determine value?

I don't want to sell it. I'd just like to know what I have.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The Pre-64 70’s are very collectible, so pay attention to that when looking at prices. Beyond that, I can’t help.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I have a Winchester model 70, 30-06

I have had it for 20 some odd years. I don't get to fire it much but it shoots well when I do. It's in good shape. No rust or other blemishes.

Today I started wondering what it's worth and found a HUGE range in price tags on the model 70

What makes them valuable?

Mine is nothing special. Composite stock instead of wood. Probably made late 1990's but I'm guessing. Any idea of value? Or what factors I need to know to determine value?

I don't want to sell it. I'd just like to know what I have.

What you have is likely a pretty darned good hunting rifle.

Winchester produced a jewel of a rifle prior to 1964. Oversimplified, they then considerably changed the product. The screaming upon doing so was loud and long.

Pre-64's in good shape command premium prices. But with considerable damage done, Winchester later backtracked on some of their errors, and in some cases arguably improved upon their original product. That is to say, it does not follow that Winchester Model 70's produced after 1964 aren't worth having.

Check here to verify when your rifle was made.

https://winchestercollector.org/dates/

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    What you have is likely a pretty darned good hunting rifle.

Winchester produced a jewel of a rifle prior to 1964. Oversimplified, they then considerably changed the product. The screaming upon doing so was loud and long.

Pre-64's in good shape command premium prices. But with considerable damage done, Winchester later backtracked on some of their errors, and in some cases arguably improved upon their original product. That is to say, it does not follow that Winchester Model 70's produced after 1964 aren't worth having.

Check here to verify when your rifle was made.

https://winchestercollector.org/dates/

That site didn't like my serial number

But you are right. It's a nice rifle. I have enjoyed it the couple time I've shot it over the years

I got it for $100 because neither the seller nor I knew what it was worth. I didn't have a bolt action rifle so of course I said "Take my money"

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    That site didn't like my serial number

But you are right. It's a nice rifle. I have enjoyed it the couple time I've shot it over the years

I got it for $100 because neither the seller nor I knew what it was worth. I didn't have a bolt action rifle so of course I said "Take my money"

Jesse James had a gun. :)

As bolt actions go, you likely got yourself a good one. That was a steal, even 20 years ago.

I am seeing indications (not sure if true, but certainly possible) that serial number records for Model 70 after 1992 have not been released. Lost records, fire, plant closing, relocation all listed as possibilities. Suggestion is to try calling Winchester.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Jesse James had a gun. :)

As bolt actions go, you likely got yourself a good one. That was a steal, even 20 years ago.

I am seeing indications (not sure if true, but certainly possible) that serial number records for Model 70 after 1992 have not been released. Lost records, fire, plant closing, relocation all listed as possibilities. Suggestion is to try calling Winchester.

Well I'm pretty sure it was made in the late 90's regardless of serial number

Definately not pre 1964

So worth more than $100, ya think? Go me. I'm an expert gun buyer and I didn't even know it.

So like $250? $500?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Well I'm pretty sure it was made in the late 90's regardless of serial number

Definately not pre 1964

So worth more than $100, ya think? Go me. I'm an expert gun buyer and I didn't even know it.

So like $250? $500?

Best guess, and without knowing for sure what you have, thinking ballpark you're more toward the $500.00 figure. Maybe a bit more or a bit less, but not $250.00 less.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Is it push feed or controlled round feed? I think the Shadows were controlled feed. Makes it a bit more desirable to some. I also agree, price would be $500 and up. Not $250. You did good on that deal.

Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    Oh neat. Thanks.

Maybe I should just sell it because I have too many guns as it is ...

Just kidding. Wanted to see who was paying attention :-)

you got me here ...I was paying attention as I would love to grab one at that price

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom