• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    I need new ear protection

The ones I have work well to protect me ears but they are massive. I believe they would keep me safe in a motorcycle crash. They are hard to check a cheek weld with on a rifle

I want a lower profile set of hearing muffs but there is so much junk out there it's hard to pick something

I do shoot indoors so it's loud

I'd love the new fangled electronic earmuffs so I can hear what's going on but the low profile electronic earmuffs all seem to top out in the 21-22 NRR area

Is that enough?

Do I need 30 NRR?

Some people love these but others say they aren't good enough for indoor ranges

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UAM0MF...olid=1QFIODV3AZZOQ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I just don't know enough about sound and volumes to sort through all this. I am open to recommendations.

I don't want to spend more than $50. Above $50 and my giant ear protection that could probably stop a bullet from hitting my ears will continue to work.

I do have a neighbor with an obnoxiously loud barking dog. So going deaf isn't the worst thing.....just sayin'

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    alot of people double up and use additional ear plugs when indoors. Especially places where they allow an AR with the kinds of muzzle brakes you can end up on the side of you.
    I have the custom molded ones from the lady that goes to the gun shows. I can turn the electronic ones up enough to still hear talking.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Foamies or the rubber plugs, under a set of Howard Leight Impact Sport. Inside or outside, rifle or pistol, always use the same set up. I don't have much hearing left so I'm protecting what little I have.

I love the good ol Max Lite, by Howard Leight, ear plugs topped by electronic headphones if shooting big guns or indoors. The Leight Impacts electronic muffs go on sale on Amazon semi regularly.

alot of people double up and use additional ear plugs when indoors. Especially places where they allow an AR with the kinds of muzzle brakes you can end up on the side of you.
    I have the custom molded ones from the lady that goes to the gun shows. I can turn the electronic ones up enough to still hear talking.

Foamies or the rubber plugs, under a set of Howard Leight Impact Sport. Inside or outside, rifle or pistol, always use the same set up. I don't have much hearing left so I'm protecting what little I have.

Three responses and all were identical.

Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    When I shoot indoors I use the Howard Leight max ear plugs that have 33 dB reduction. Combined with Decibel Defense ear muffs that reduce another 34-37 dB. DD offers a full money back guarantee if you don’t like them. If I bump the muffs off with a cheek weld I still have the plugs. I’m not talking a lot indoors, but can still manage a conversation.
    Outdoors is I can do either one alone depending on what’s going on around me.
    And both are pretty affordable

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Like others I've used the double up method. I've since switched to the molded to your ear type and they are WAY better. Nothing hits your rifle stock(happened worse when shooting prone).

I will never use another set of ear plugs besides molded the molded ones.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Like others I've used the double up method. I've since switched to the molded to your ear type and they are WAY better. Nothing hits your rifle stock(happened worse when shooting prone).

I agree. Custom molded plugs are the way to go. Comfortable enough to wear all day and very good noise reduction. Best money I ever spent at a gun show

shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    I need new ear protection

The ones I have work well to protect me ears but they are massive. I believe they would keep me safe in a motorcycle crash. They are hard to check a cheek weld with on a rifle

I want a lower profile set of hearing muffs but there is so much junk out there it's hard to pick something

I do shoot indoors so it's loud

I'd love the new fangled electronic earmuffs so I can hear what's going on but the low profile electronic earmuffs all seem to top out in the 21-22 NRR area

Is that enough?

Do I need 30 NRR?

Some people love these but others say they aren't good enough for indoor ranges

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UAM0MF...olid=1QFIODV3AZZOQ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I just don't know enough about sound and volumes to sort through all this. I am open to recommendations.

I don't want to spend more than $50. Above $50 and my giant ear protection that could probably stop a bullet from hitting my ears will continue to work.

I do have a neighbor with an obnoxiously loud barking dog. So going deaf isn't the worst thing.....just sayin'

I would suggest that, regardless of which muffs you buy, you also get a pair of custom silicone ear plugs made by an audiologist. They come with filters so you can hear through them (somewhat reduced volume, of course) and work well with electronic muffs which are, IMHO, the only way to go. The filters on plugs can also be changed for specific purposes, such as music, construction, or complete blocking of sound. Remember, any hearing lost can never be recovered.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    My standard is electronic over the ear (sportears but they got absorbed by axil, comparable to the new sport peltors or Howard Leights), foamies, and a Suppressor. Call me paranoid but my hearing is good and I'd like to keep it that way.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Like everyone else, I double up indoors. I also use the huge, bulky, Howard Leight Impact Pro electronic muffs. In addition, I swapped the pads for better gel pads. These are the highest nrr electronic muffs that I could find. My hearing is worth way more than $50.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Where are you guys getting the custom molded earplugs? I'm betting that a gunshow vendor might not be the best source.

ETA: I'm mostly using the solid orange one-sided military plugs, plus a Howard Leight Impact Sports headset. Seems to work pretty well.

shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    My daughter-in-law is a shooter-friendly audiologist who makes custom earplugs (static and dynamic); she's located in Rockville and is really excellent (even though I am biased) for hearing aids as well.

DO NOT let a gun-show salesperson take a mold of your ear. If not done correctly, the eardrum can come out with the mold, leading to possible permanent damage. If anyone is interested in her info, please PM me.

RyderAK

Feb 17, 2020

Not op but thanks for the recommendation, I’ve got a big dumb head and hate the over ear muffs. Shooting suppressed so i really don’t need a ton of reduction anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom