• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Is the spring on a 1911 a wear part that should be replaced every so often? Or only if it shows specific signs of damage?

Mine looks okay. But it is 21 years old.

Are they like washing machine hoses that should be replaced every few years before they fail spectacularly?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Sear spring, hammer spring or recoil spring? Generally it's not age but the round count. How many rounds depends on spring quality, full power or reduced power rounds. Springs will normally last a long time. Whenever I buy a used pistol...1911 or other type...I usually change springs as a matter of course.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Is the spring on a 1911 a wear part that should be replaced every so often? Or only if it shows specific signs of damage?

Mine looks okay. But it is 21 years old.

Are they like washing machine hoses that should be replaced every few years before they fail spectacularly?

Springs usually fail gradually, but will fail. Many people will tell you springs fatigue when you keep them compressed. Not true. They fatigue from the compression-release cycle. That said, if the spring is working, leave it alone. If this is a gun you are going to bet your life on, replace them.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Sear spring, hammer spring or recoil spring? Generally it's not age but the round count. How many rounds depends on spring quality, full power or reduced power rounds. Springs will normally last a long time. Whenever I buy a used pistol...1911 or other type...I usually change springs as a matter of course.

Recoil spring.

Yeah I was not even remotely clear about that.

I bought it new in 1999. It's never had a problem. I was just looking at it tonight wondering if it was a part that had a functional age limit.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    If you want to change the recoil spring...change it as they're cheap. But basically...if it ain't broke don't fix it. Or...as what I've occasionally done...and not limited to guns..."If it ain't broke fix it 'till it is."

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Or...as what I've occasionally done...and not limited to guns..."If it ain't broke fix it 'till it is."

hqdefault.jpg

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Springs usually fail gradually, but will fail. Many people will tell you springs fatigue when you keep them compressed. Not true. They fatigue from the compression-release cycle. That said, if the spring is working, leave it alone. If this is a gun you are going to bet your life on, replace them.

^^^. Regular round count, and even dryfire included for some springs. I have fatigued three hammer springs in my Redhawk revolver. They are finicky in DA shooting anyway and any spring fatigue becomes readily apparent. Wore out a mainspring in a dedicated 22 conversion 1911 frame and can’t count the mag springs fatigued. It is the cycling that wears them out.
    It wouldn’t hurt to replace mag springs, too. On nose dive and full mag malfunctions that is one of the first places I look.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I believe the general consensus among 1911 types is to change out the recoil spring every 5000 rounds or so.

I am a big fan of Wolff progressive 1911 recoil springs and use an 18.5lb in most of my .45 1911s. I believe they come packaged with a new firing pin spring so when I get a new recoil spring I change that out too

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Change the spring, they are cheap. You will most likely notice that the recoil is a bit softer once you have replaced it. One of the biggest complaints about the .45 cal 1911 is recoil. Worst case, you will have a spare spring for later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom