• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    Am I right in saying it’s about Cz50/Walther PP in size?

The CZ-50 is virtually identical in size to the Type II and later Colt 1903 (this is a Type III).
    The FN 1922 is the same size as the earlier Type I Colt 1903 with the slightly longer barrel.

Attachments

• DSC_0286.jpg
      DSC_0286.jpg
      76.3 KB · Views: 287

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    So it’s sounding like a 1903 pocket hammerless is a great midsized option. Am I right in saying it’s about Cz50/Walther PP in size?

Beretta 81 or Cz83 in 32acp sound like the best options in close to full size pistols. Might try to track down an 81. Though it seems like mags are scarce and also hrs to get in MD (not like 32 mags for an 83 would be easy to source either).

The Colt is a sweet pocket pistol. The sights are ridiculous, but it's meant for point-shooting. It's not a target pistol by any stretch of the imagination. It's not hammerless; the hammer is concealed within the slide. With a round chambered, it's cocked and ready to fire.

The CZ83 is the same size as the CZ82 in 9x18Makarov; it's a bit large for pocket carry, but I know at least one guy who disagrees.

If you enjoy all-steel pistols, and can't afford a Walther, the Mauser HSc is a nice double-action alternative. Heel mag release is its only drawback.

People who are used to plastic pistols are surprised at the weight of a real gun. The advantage of increased mass comes into play in soaking up the recoil of the smaller 32 cal projectile, providing rapid and accurate follow-up shots.

Jul 1, 2012
    It's not hammerless; the hammer is concealed within the slide.
    Although the Colt Model M does indeed have an internal hammer, Colt called it the Pocket Hammerless so that's the nomenclature.
    The 1903 "Pocket" in .38 ACP is usually called the "Pocket Hammer" to distinguish them from one another.

Attachments

• Catalog - Pocket.jpg
      Catalog - Pocket.jpg
      50.8 KB · Views: 260
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      60 KB · Views: 278

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    So it’s sounding like a 1903 pocket hammerless is a great midsized option. Am I right in saying it’s about Cz50/Walther PP in size?

Beretta 81 or Cz83 in 32acp sound like the best options in close to full size pistols. Might try to track down an 81. Though it seems like mags are scarce and also hrs to get in MD (not like 32 mags for an 83 would be easy to source either).

The last 2 Chantilly shows there were 2 gentleman there that had boxes and boxes of Beretta 81 magazines. and Beretta recently ( like in the last 3 months) had imported more of them. also not a full size frame the Beretta Tom cats can be had in 32 acp. the 81 is a sweet shooter !!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The last 2 Chantilly shows there were 2 gentleman there that had boxes and boxes of Beretta 81 magazines. and Beretta recently ( like in the last 3 months) had imported more of them. also not a full size frame the Beretta Tom cats can be had in 32 acp. the 81 is a sweet shooter !!

Good to know, thanks! Its been a bit since I was to the Gettysburg show, any ideas on that one? I feel like I saw a few 81s there at slightly higher than Classic and some other's prices (but not an unreasonable amount more, like $20-40 more). Wondering if my best bet is to buy an 81 at Gettysburg, have Carroll Sporting Goods do the transfer and walk home with the mag (plus picking up a couple more while I am there if anyone has any).

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    He probably was at the Gettysburg show. he looks like a older Mickey Rooney. for the life of my his name escapes me at the moment. but he is from PA.

Jul 1, 2012
    Look at the US Armament re-issue of Colt's 1903 Hammerless pistol https://usarmamentcorp.com. They're of excellent quality and I've seen prototype examples of them with Novak sights installed. Whether that's in the future as a production option I don't know but it shows it's at least under consideration.

or have Novak install the sights on one of the new ones, and not feel bad about it. There are also a lot of cosmetically challenged originals floating around that have no collector value that could be modified... or find a spare slide and have it modified. So many options with these :)

I think US Armament is also making high-quality 1903/1908 magazines (someone is anyway) that are in the $40-50 range vice $100-200 for an original.

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    Used my C&R and bought a CZ 27. Really well made and I like the safety mechanism. Picked it up for $450 from Legacy-Collectables site.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Used my C&R and bought a CZ 27. Really well made and I like the safety mechanism. Picked it up for $450 from Legacy-Collectables site.

I would, but they are just so fugly. :sad20:

I did see a 1903 that looked like it had been refinished at some point for I think it was $650. Looked like a nice refinish job.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    If you want to go real full size, I believe that there was at least one rifle produced in .32 ACP... the Armi Jager. Most were made in .22, but they did make a few in .32. It was one of the first production look-alikes of an AR-15... and yes, of course, it is freaking banned in MD as an "Assault Weapon". Was on the early "regulated" rifle list because it looked scary, and now is verboten. Let's not go to Maryland, tis a silly place.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    or have Novak install the sights on one of the new ones, and not feel bad about it. There are also a lot of cosmetically challenged originals floating around that have no collector value that could be modified... or find a spare slide and have it modified. So many options with these :)

I think US Armament is also making high-quality 1903/1908 magazines (someone is anyway) that are in the $40-50 range vice $100-200 for an original.

There are a lot of the 1903/1908 pistols with little to no collector value but by the time you modify them and have them checked for reliability and refinished you may as well buy one of the new US Armament pistols and have it modified.

The prototypes I saw of the new pistol with Novak sights were standard size Novaks and looked too large for the 1903 but they were proof of concept more than anything else. To my way of thinking...properly proportioned Novak low-mount sights and a better...1911 type design...thumb safety and the 1903/1908 would be about as perfect a concealed carry piece in those calibers you can find. No such thing as perfect but these would come close.

Now if US Armament would only put these mods into production I would buy one in Royal Blue. The only problem I see with them is demand outstrip manufacturing capacity. They're a fairly small shop and they don't rush production.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    It might be silly, but I’ve got an infatuation with 32acp pistols. I’ve got a couple compacts in a Cz50 and a Zastava 70. Thoughts on going larger frame? Poking around the four that catch my eye are a PP (probably not a PPK), though that’s not really any bigger than my Cz50. Though I do want one some day. Next up is a Cz83 in .32apc (I’ve got an 82 in 9x18 and love it). Other thought is a Beretta 81.

Last one is a Vz61 skorpion (sadly a newer semi auto). Not exactly what I mean by a full size pistol. But I’d like one.

Anyway, thoughts? Especially taking in to account mag availability. Are 32acp Cz83 magazines easy to find? Seems like Beretta 81 mags aren’t cheap, but aren’t hard to find (still made it seems?). I realize no one really makes a true full size 32acp. But closer would be nice.

What about something old? Savage 1907? Never looked up close on one. Any other WWI vintage stuff that might count and be full size?

There's just something about a steel .32 that's just really fun to shoot. I've loved my Colt 1903 ever since I got my hands on it.

For surplus guys, there's always the Mauser 1914/1934, or maybe a Beretta 1934/1935. For an actual full-size, though, I can't think of anything bigger than the Beretta Model 81; they're relatively cheap these days, usually police surplus. Classic Firearms and DKArms had a whole mess of the things a few months back for like $250-$350, but now I think it's mostly 1951s they have in stock.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Thought about a Webley and then it hit me: H&R .32 Self Loading which was built under license issued by Webley. Something to consider as they're not overly expensive, never having caught on with the collecting community.

Attachments

• IMGP8699.JPG
      IMGP8699.JPG
      76.4 KB · Views: 188

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Here's photos of the US Armament 1903 with proof of concept Novak sights. I think a more 1911-like thumb safety will complete the package as an outstanding carry piece. I've no idea whether this will be a production item but it makes for a nice package.
    pix836053943.jpg

pix887784975.jpg

Punisher

Apr 21, 2018
    The LWS Seecamp .32 is a great little design. Smallest 7 shot ever produced.

+1 for the VZ61. Czechpoint is also making .22 uppers for those days you can't find .32

K06L0An.jpg
    Sadly the wire stock is not an option now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom