Leaving Crossbow Cocked... for how long?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If I could add on to the question, I inherited a crossbow 3 years ago. It’s maybe 15 years old. Used to shoot it when I was in highschool. It wasn’t left cocked, but it’s been in storage and carted all around the last 15 years. Is it safe to shoot?
    You might look into replacing the string first.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    I did some reading on mine... not recommended to leave cocked over 24 hours. I threw a target bolt through the 5 stacked bags of top soil then found the bolt a few yards beyond. Power is INCREDIBLE!
    This is about a 4 inch diameter maple tree. 100 years from now somebody might split that tree and get the shock of his life. :D

Attachments

• IMG_4025.jpg
      IMG_4025.jpg
      135.8 KB · Views: 256
    • IMG_4026.jpg
      IMG_4026.jpg
      118.7 KB · Views: 260
    • IMG_4030.jpg
      IMG_4030.jpg
      88.2 KB · Views: 246

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I did some reading on mine... not recommended to leave cocked over 24 hours. I threw a target bolt through the 5 stacked bags of top soil then found the bolt a few yards beyond. Power is INCREDIBLE!
    This is about a 4 inch diameter maple tree. 100 years from now somebody might split that tree and get the shock of his life. :D

I have an older Horton 175lb draw Xbow. I hadn't used it in a couple of years, so to make sure the red-dot was still on, I took it out back and shot it at my bag. Well, the bag's contents has settled a bit over the years and while I did my best to fluff it up beat it back into shape, it was still a little thin where one of the bolts hit it. Blew through the front, the fill, out the back, and buried itself 8" into the 3/4" T1-11 plywood that makes up the exterior of my shed (which I use as a backstop) with nothing more than a 100g field tip on it. This was at 35-40 yards. After seeing a bolt blow straight through a buck's spine at 20 yards this year, only getting hung up by a ripped vane, I can honestly say I'd never want to be on the receiving end of one.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    I have an older Horton 175lb draw Xbow. I hadn't used it in a couple of years, so to make sure the red-dot was still on, I took it out back and shot it at my bag. Well, the bag's contents has settled a bit over the years and while I did my best to fluff it up beat it back into shape, it was still a little thin where one of the bolts hit it. Blew through the front, the fill, out the back, and buried itself 8" into the 3/4" T1-11 plywood that makes up the exterior of my shed (which I use as a backstop) with nothing more than a 100g field tip on it. This was at 35-40 yards. After seeing a bolt blow straight through a buck's spine at 20 yards this year, only getting hung up by a ripped vane, I can honestly say I'd never want to be on the receiving end of one.

I'm convinced they do as much damage as a rifle if they hit bone. Both my kills this year went through shoulder and stopped deer dead within 20- 25 yards. I'm a believer in their stopping power.

Huuman

Jul 20, 2019
    I'm convinced they do as much damage as a rifle if they hit bone. Both my kills this year went through shoulder and stopped deer dead within 20- 25 yards. I'm a believer in their stopping power.

The hole in my garage will agree with you.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Got my 3rd, this time a pretty good size buck.... same story, clean through deer and about 10 inches of rocky mountain dirt. Deer took off up the mountain, watched him after 30 yards, spun in circles like he was drunk and collapsed. :thumbsup:
    Damn things are lethal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom