• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Hoppes #9 is for cleaning. I use Remoil as a surface protectant. Mobil 1 as lubrication. Except in my 10/22 and some handguns. There I forget the brand, but I’ve got a Teflon based lubricant that works really well. It’s a bit closer to a dry lubricant than a wet one (it’s “multipurpose” for machinery, bike chains, guns and general lubrication according to the can. I used it for years on bike chains before trying it on guns. Works well. Doesn’t seem to attract much dirt. Which is nice for a rimfire).

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I like G96, breakfree LP(not CLP) or Lucas CLP for oil, most any light machine oil will work. Engine oil is somewhat hydroscopic, in an engine it absorbs and traps moisture with the intent it will get to a high temp and burn off that moisture from time to time. In a firearm stored for months, it can hold moisture and is a crappy rust preventative even if it's a decent lube. Thin CLP just runs or evaporates off to quick, too much solvent in the mix, although I do like using it to clean parts and provide corrosion protection and minimal lubrication wiping down some parts. Typically I use CLP to clean and wipe down parts, machine oil or LP to lube guns, and grease to lube high pressure points like locking lugs.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Break Free CLP used in the USCG for our exterior weapons it holds up to the salt environment. Also WD-40 long term Corrosion Inhibiter it protects with out moisture absorption.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I like G96, breakfree LP(not CLP) or Lucas CLP for oil, most any light machine oil will work. Engine oil is somewhat hydroscopic, in an engine it absorbs and traps moisture with the intent it will get to a high temp and burn off that moisture from time to time. In a firearm stored for months, it can hold moisture and is a crappy rust preventative even if it's a decent lube. Thin CLP just runs or evaporates off to quick, too much solvent in the mix, although I do like using it to clean parts and provide corrosion protection and minimal lubrication wiping down some parts. Typically I use CLP to clean and wipe down parts, machine oil or LP to lube guns, and grease to lube high pressure points like locking lugs.

Synthetic oils are less hygroscopic than non-synthetics. They do not actively attract moisture but can suspend water. This won't harm the firearm.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Synthetic oils are less hygroscopic than non-synthetics. They do not actively attract moisture but can suspend water. This won't harm the firearm.

Suspending water is trapping it. I'd rather have a firearm lubricant that repels water.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you plan to store a weapon(gun) for an extended period of time, the best you can do is clean it thoroughly, then oil it thoroughly. The biggest attractant of moisture is the debris generated by shooting. That and the salts left behind by our handling the gun are also the main cause corrosion.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    I have 2 winchester m12’s. One stays oiled but the other seems to absorb it. It also will have rust finger prints if not wiped immediately after use. I figure one day, it’ll absorb all it can and be like the other one

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I just finished up a 3 week shooting course. The facility had lots of random lubricants to choose from. I decided to do an informal comparison between a bunch of different ones and noticed no real difference in how they lubricated the firearms we were using. Had lots of entertaining malfunctions with ARs, AKs, various glocks, you name it.

Ended up mostly using Ballistol because it smells like black licorice.

Ballistol is my go to. I put a small amount on the friction surfaces. I'd prefer to not keep an oil pan in the bottom of my safe to catch mobil 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom