• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Busa

Jul 22, 2012
    So. MD
    Sold a pistol on GB and need to transfer to CA. I already have the CA dealers FFL and CFD number. Any suggestions in the So. MD area?
    Thanks

PIT BULL

Mar 5, 2013
    Not sure what county you are in. So here is a choice for each county. All Pawn in Whites Plains or J2 in Prince Frederick or JMJ in Mechanicsville.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    They would have to be specifically registered with the Ca DOJ to ship to California .

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Why do you want to transfer through a MD FFL as opposed to shipping directly to the CA FFL?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    California law requires inbound shipments only from FFLs who are Also registered with California .

It's tempting to just saw screw California , but look at how we speak about all the dealers/ distributors who say Screw Maryland .

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Just this week I had a great experience dealing with J2 Defense in Prince Frederick

(Not really in PF, on 231 - between PF and Benidict Bridge in newer industrial park)

2112rws

Jan 18, 2013
    Cal. FFL01 dealers can only accept a firearm from a FFL01 that has paid their fee to be on their (Cal) list. I sold a WWII K98 to a guy in Cal. and even though it was a C&R gun it had to be sent by a local ffl01 that had paid to be on their (Cal) list and had to go to a FFL01 in Cal.

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    That's why on Gun Broker you see so many sellers and dealers stating no sales to CA. Can't blame them, another hurdle and expense just to go against the legal law abiding. I've sold on GB and I state that no sales to CA.

Jul 1, 2012
    California law requires inbound shipments only from FFLs who are Also registered with California ...

Cal. FFL01 dealers can only accept a firearm from a FFL01 that has paid their fee to be on their (Cal) list. I sold a WWII K98 to a guy in Cal. and even though it was a C&R gun it had to be sent by a local ffl01 that had paid to be on their (Cal) list and had to go to a FFL01 in Cal.

"Cal. FFL01 dealers can only accept a firearm from a FFL01 that has paid their fee to be on their (Cal) list."
    This part is true in its specifics: FFL dealer/manufacturer to CA FFL does require registration. but...

Unless something changed recently, a C&R long gun can be sent direct to a CA FFL-03 that also has a valid "Certificate of Eligibility" (COE). The receiving -03 has to do some additional paperwork w/CA's DOJ on their end but that's not the seller's concern.

Firearms in general can also be sent by individuals (or FFL-03's for C&R) to a CA FFL dealer/manufacturer w/o the registration crap.
    Finding a receiving CA FFL that is willing to do it, now that's a different story !!
    But they do exist :)

see #2, #4 here (site is dated 2020 at the bottom)
    https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcfaqs
    2) I am not an FFL but I want to ship a firearm to a California FFL. Do I have to obtain a Firearms Shipment Approval number before shipping a firearm to California?
    No. Only shipments from Federal Firearms Licensees (FFL) require a Firearms Shipment Approval number.
    <well, FFL's other then -03 and -06 that is>

4) Are any California FFLs exempt from the CFLC verification approval requirement?
    Yes. The CFLC program does not apply to shipments made by Type 03 (curio and relic collectors) and Type 06 (ammunition dealers) FFLs.

also see
    https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcoverview

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    "Cal. FFL01 dealers can only accept a firearm from a FFL01 that has paid their fee to be on their (Cal) list."
    This part is true in its specifics: FFL dealer/manufacturer to CA FFL does require registration. but...

Unless something changed recently, a C&R long gun can be sent direct to a CA FFL-03 that also has a valid "Certificate of Eligibility" (COE). The receiving -03 has to do some additional paperwork w/CA's DOJ on their end but that's not the seller's concern.

Firearms in general can also be sent by individuals (or FFL-03's for C&R) to a CA FFL dealer/manufacturer w/o the registration crap.
    Finding a receiving CA FFL that is willing to do it, now that's a different story !!
    But they do exist :)

see #2, #4 here (site is dated 2020 at the bottom)
    https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcfaqs
    2) I am not an FFL but I want to ship a firearm to a California FFL. Do I have to obtain a Firearms Shipment Approval number before shipping a firearm to California?
    No. Only shipments from Federal Firearms Licensees (FFL) require a Firearms Shipment Approval number.
    <well, FFL's other then -03 and -06 that is>

4) Are any California FFLs exempt from the CFLC verification approval requirement?
    Yes. The CFLC program does not apply to shipments made by Type 03 (curio and relic collectors) and Type 06 (ammunition dealers) FFLs.

also see
    https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcoverview

—All C&R guns have to go through a non-03FFL now in CA. There is no waiting period if the individual has an 03FFL and a CA COE. Sales tax is collected if the gun came from an out-of-state dealer.

—CA C&R holders can buy C&R guns (pistols too) out-of-state and bring them back. This can be from an individual or a dealer. They have 5 days upon return to register it with a $19 fee.

—C&Rs are exempt from the CA handgun roster.

—Guns do not have to come from an out-of-state FFL. That’s just CA FFLs imposing more rules on themselves.

—If guns do come from an out-of-state dealer, that dealer has to register with the CA DOJ. It’s annoying, but only takes a few minutes. Non-CA residents shipping guns into a CA FFL do not have this requirement.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Thank God for New Jersey and California ! They can give Marylanders a sense of optimism , that at least we're not them .

Busa

Jul 22, 2012
    So. MD
    My CA buyer has the pistol and is happy. Had JMJ Firearms in Mechanicsville do the transfer and they went above and beyond to get the job done. Nice folks, nice store. Thanks to everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom