Why is my sale of a used 870 stock going nuts on ebay?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    One guy wanted to know if there was the Remington R on the bottom of the grip

There is not. My brand new 870 does have the R

This guy was super excited that this one didn't have the R so I added a photo to the listing showing no R and that is when the bidding took off

I should also add that the Buy It Now price was $60 (which I always make a little higher than market value just in case someone feels like splurging) and that was available right up to when someone bid $61

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I see some sets going on gunbroker going for more than $120, and a few going for as much as $300. The ones going for more have the mounting hardware/parts and/or has the checker stippling yours has.

The ones going for $300+ are refinished. https://www.ebay.com/itm/193425430278
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/193425430278

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/878890225

So my guess is that this set is a good candidate for refinishing and someone thinks they can get $300 once they've added some stain.

My other guess is that the real wood stocks (not laminate) with the checkered stippling are more valuable/rare than you thought. Maybe you under priced it.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    Do they all have decent feedback ratings or are they all "0" feedback members?

Whenever I run across a bidder who slips away without paying, I file a non-paying bidder case and block the guy, usually, it's someone with a very low feedback rating or brand new eBayer. I automatically cancel and block people from other countries who bid on my items, despite my warnings that I only ship Conus. I may just start the same with <5 eBay newbs too. The success rate with them is so lousy it's an easy decision. (and "no", I don't give a crap about ruining a new eBayers experience, just in case they were one of the .001 legit types... )

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    I've seen people catch bidding fever. Recently on Gunbroker, a single seller listed two new-in-box Colt M4 22lr rifles at the same time, in two separate listings. Bidders competed with a must-win approach, closing the sale of one Colt at $1,400. The second and identical offering closed at $700, within the same hour. It seems the people in a bidding war for one weren't aware there was a mirrored bid going on for another at a much lower price. I've also seen people (back when Apple iPods were popular) bid the iPods up to over what they could have walked into any store and bought one for. Some folks just hate to lose a competition.

G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    I have a handful of mossberg 500 and ar parts lying around. Thank you for sharing this. You've inspired me to put them up for sale.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    It's only private to you as an outsider. I can see who the bidders are.

It's because the listing is set up as private, not because the bidders choose to be

Private listings are the new eBay default for some reason

They did that years ago for some reason. It doesn't allow us to see shill bidders, which is frustrating. It used to be easy to find the lazy shill bidders because they only bid on the same person's auctions.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    eBay can just be random

My other active auction is for a crystal coke bottle (The glass kind of crystal...not clear coke that sucked) celebrating Coke's 100th anniversary

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Lead-...9?pageci=6fc8996b-44a3-4389-9058-790cb4c90726

That should easily run up to $100 but it's been stuck at $1 all week.

I assume the 15 watchers and waiting until the last hour to ounce and it will go up. But it's weird to see the thing you though was cheap go for big money while the thing you though was expensive stuck at $1

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    I'm about done trying to sell anything on eBay. One item I have just sold for the third time. First winner "accidentally" bid on the wrong item, second was in Mexico and didn't want to pay the shipping (which they would know before bidding), and third hasn't paid for a few days after auction finished. All low feedback.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    That stock is from the Golden Eagle Ohio National Guard Edition of the 870 and it’s worth about $400

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Not that I'm unhappy....just confused

Can someone explain why my eBay auction for a used stock and forend off an old Remington 870 is now over $100?

What am I missing?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193696821463

I figured $30 and I'd be happy. Hell I had it listed in the classified here on MDS for 3 weeks without a nibble at $30. I put it on eBay and it's in triple digits.

I only paid $300 for the whole shotgun 2 years ago. I paid $50 for the Hogue stock I replaced it with.

This stock isn't new. It shows signs of wear. The forend is discolored where you hold it.

Why do multiple people want to spend over $100 on this used furniture for a fairly basic shotgun? There are 15 separate bidders. I am dumbfounded.

Here is a similar auction with the mounting bolt missing...it's only up to $20

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Remington-...385665?hash=item23e2877d81:g:CD8AAOSwy0VffOFP

I'd like to make sure I haven't misrepresented something that is going to end up disappointing a buyer. But I can't imagine what that might be.

There's a business principle behind it. Are you going to ask why are ammo prices going up as well?

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    eBay can just be random

My other active auction is for a crystal coke bottle (The glass kind of crystal...not clear coke that sucked) celebrating Coke's 100th anniversary

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Lead-...9?pageci=6fc8996b-44a3-4389-9058-790cb4c90726

That should easily run up to $100 but it's been stuck at $1 all week.

I assume the 15 watchers and waiting until the last hour to ounce and it will go up. But it's weird to see the thing you though was cheap go for big money while the thing you though was expensive stuck at $1

I do the same exact thing, but it doesn't make any sense. I want to pay 60 for an item. If I bid 60 as soon as it starts, or 1 second before it ends, I'm either winning for 60 or less, or it sells for more than I want to pay. I've probably missed out on a couple dozen items by forgetting to bid and missing the auction.

Maybe people think that if you show your cards early (bid) then others may bid more when they wouldn't otherwise. But that is assuming their max desirable bid goes up based on perceived market price.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    I do the same exact thing, but it doesn't make any sense. I want to pay 60 for an item. If I bid 60 as soon as it starts, or 1 second before it ends, I'm either winning for 60 or less, or it sells for more than I want to pay. I've probably missed out on a couple dozen items by forgetting to bid and missing the auction.

Maybe people think that if you show your cards early (bid) then others may bid more when they wouldn't otherwise. But that is assuming their max desirable bid goes up based on perceived market price.

Last minute bidding makes tons of sense

If I bid $60 one day 1 people can bid me up over the next week. If I I'd $60 at the last second and the only other guy bidding has a high bid of $30 and thinks he is going to win....my last minute bid of $60 will win the auction at $31. I won't actually pay all the way to $60 because of proxy bidding

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom