• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Meat or trophy is the same question, I guess.

What is your main priority every year and this year?

It seems like all the hunting show hunters are after a big buck.

I'm intrigued by the prospect of seeing a monster buck and getting him in my sights. I did this twice last year but passed on one and missed the other. It's pretty exciting when you do get the opportunity, I must admit.

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    All about meat, but when I fill the freezers of the people I get meat for and myself I will get more of an opportunity to hunt for a big buck or sika. I really enjoy the hunt but time is a tough commodity to come by, and I need to get as much meat as I can when I can. Still, I have my own rules about what I will shoot.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I see it as "Wants and Needs." Meat is my priority

I Want a nice but, but I just Need meat for the freezer and caner. I'll let the little bucks walk and kill anything larger and nice sized does.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Meat is my priority, that said, in my experience, buck meat tastes a little better than doe meat overall. Kind of like how steers are preferred for beef over cows.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I see it as "Wants and Needs." Meat is my priority

I Want a nice but, but I just Need meat for the freezer and caner. I'll let the little bucks walk and kill anything larger and nice sized does.
    I used to want a nice but too, but mainly focus on personality anymore.

I meat hunt. I have and would pass up antlers for a nice 90# yearling.

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    I hunt mainly for the meat. If I wouldn't eat it, I doubt I would hunt as much as I do. With that said I prefer to take bucks. Most of the bucks I've harvested have only been 1.5-2.5 year olds with maybe 2-3 3.5 year olds. I'd rather take 2 younger bucks than 2 does. I know it hinders my chances of shooting a big mature buck since I'm decreasing the buck numbers. Alot of meat hunters like to take does and there's nothing wrong with that. I grew up in PA and got to witness 1st hand how over harvesting does really hurt the deer numbers. I know 1 or 2 does in a general area shouldn't really hurt the deer population, and it should help keep numbers in check, but I have neighbors who do more than their fair share at keeping doe numbers in check. Because of this, I try to limit my doe harvest to make sure the population doesn't decrease to much. Also I know a younger doe eats better, but I'd rather shoot 2 bucks at 130-150lbs each compared to having to shoot 3-4 does at 90-110lbs each to get the same amount of meat.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I used to want a nice but too, but mainly focus on personality anymore.

I meat hunt. I have and would pass up antlers for a nice 90# yearling.

I’m with you. I do not understand trophy bucks. 12 point vs spots....spots every time.

Before asking doe or buck, consider asking the deer what its pronouns are....

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    If it was for the sport a hunter especially an archer knows a mature doe is way harder to harvest than a buck.
    We have enough in our party that allows for the freezer to become full which leaves a lot of room for the taking of mature bucks.
    For a multi day hunt I would suggest passing up the does so you don’t become dragged down handling the carcass and making meat.
    Most certainly when theirs more quality deer in the area that being hunted.
    It’s easier to kill a 90 pound spike for meat than gut drag and butcher three on the hoof 60 lb. does.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    Just shoot one of these and you don't have to choose

Attachments

• doe with antlers.jpg
      doe with antlers.jpg
      72 KB · Views: 231

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If it was for the sport a hunter especially an archer knows a mature doe is way harder to harvest than a buck.
    We have enough in our party that allows for the freezer to become full which leaves a lot of room for the taking of mature bucks.
    For a multi day hunt I would suggest passing up the does so you don’t become dragged down handling the carcass and making meat.
    Most certainly when theirs more quality deer in the area that being hunted.
    It’s easier to kill a 90 pound spike for meat than gut drag and butcher three on the hoof 60 lb. does.
    I get way more jacked up drawing on an old doe than any trophy buck.
    Historically, my priority has always been trophy hunting. I could always get meat(and by the way, I've never had a problem eating a 3-8 YO buck).
    This year, a change. My focus will be on doe control on one farm and the other farm I hunt, we usually focus on bucks until the second week of firearms season.

If a monster steps out, I'll shoot him. Otherwise, does will get the nod.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Meat. Anything big enough to be worth processing.

That said, a monster on the wall would be nice, but I haven't had any monster opportunities since I was a kid living in Fairfax county, and I didn't hunt then.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Meat but I have passed a number of small does this year.
    Deer Tacos
    Venison Chili

Yes, my kids say Deer Tacos cause Venison Tacos just sounds strange to them, sorry

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    At this point in my life, I get to hunt enough to wait for a decent buck. If my freezer were near empty, I’d take a decent doe in a heartbeat, and have done so plenty of times. I will let smaller bucks walk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom