• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CJHutch

Aug 18, 2020
    Ok. This one’s pretty convoluted.

My father in law died. He lived in Indiana. Cleaning out his closet, we found a Marlin model 60 and a Husqvarna Browning .380.
    The rest of the family wants to get rid of the guns. If we leave them there too long, they’ll be gone. The rifle, I realize, is no problem (as of now at least). But the handgun is a different story. I’m not sure it’s ever been registered anywhere.
    So, is there any way for me to get it registered in Maryland?

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Whoever it was left to, via whatever legal procedures, just needs to send it to an FFL here so that it can be transferred to you. If it was left to you, there's a "voluntary" registration page on the MSP website.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Have the PR send the firearm to a FFL that you know in MD to transfer it to you. It has to be on the roster.
    Call the FFL first.
    There should soon be about 20 pages of different opinions on how to do this that will ultimately end up with a fight between old men at Starbucks..

Seriously. Call your FFL and let them guide you.

Have the PR send the firearm to a FFL that you know in MD to transfer it to you. It has to be on the roster.
    Call the FFL first.
    There should soon be about 20 pages of different opinions on how to do this that will ultimately end up with a fight between old men at Starbucks..

Seriously. Call your FFL and let them guide you.

Might the handgun fall under Curio & Relic status?

How might that change the transfer process?

Roster only applies to handguns manufactured on or after 1/1/1985

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Might the handgun fall under Curio & Relic status?

How might that change the transfer process?

If its C&R and the op was a C&R licensee he wouldn't need to ship it to a md ffl for transfer because he could legally transfer it in himself. I think it would be worth the 30 bucks application fee. you would pay at least that much to an 01 ffl to transfer.

If its a husky 1907 then its definitely C&R since they stopped making those in 1942 if my research is correct.

CJHutch

Aug 18, 2020
    Whoever it was left to, via whatever legal procedures, just needs to send it to an FFL here so that it can be transferred to you. If it was left to you, there's a "voluntary" registration page on the MSP website.
    Yeah, the problem is it wasn’t left to anyone. He had no will. He also never had it registered himself, from what I can tell.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member

First off.....HAHAHAHAHA. Also I'm not old.

Second, don't assume a thread will unfold like you expect. I would have expected 15 "Your first post is asking about registration laws? We know a MSP plant when we see one!" by now

CJHutch

Aug 18, 2020
    If its C&R and the op was a C&R licensee he wouldn't need to ship it to a md ffl for transfer because he could legally transfer it in himself. I think it would be worth the 30 bucks application fee. you would pay at least that much to an 01 ffl to transfer.

If its a husky 1907 then its definitely C&R since they stopped making those in 1942 if my research is correct.
    What if there is no current paperwork in the gun? At least none that we’ve found yet.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    My first thought was Road Trip.
    But after further reflection, it is vitally important that the state knows who owns what and where it is located when it comes to firearms. They really do have our best interests at heart.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    What if there is no current paperwork in the gun? At least none that we’ve found yet.

That probably depends on the state, I'm not sure. If there is no will then taking possession of any of his belongings might not be legal until it is handled according to the states laws and the state determines how to distribute the property.

Its a big mess when people die without wills. Happened recently with a distant family member and it took months for them to track down all the parties with a claim to properly divide the assets. In this case no family could take anything. All possessions were auctioned off and if you wanted some family heirloom you had to go bid on it at the auction. Then the cash was distributed to all the people that the lawyers found. There were no immediate family left living so it was a mess.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Yeah, the problem is it wasn’t left to anyone. He had no will. He also never had it registered himself, from what I can tell.

Not all states have registration, so that may not be an issue. The bigger issue is he didn’t have a will. Really depends on what Indiana state law says. If his spouse is willing to give or sell it to you then you’d just need an FFL to do the transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom