• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    And I’m clueless, I’ve been a handgun guy all my life but the bug is biting and I’m looking to get an AR.

What’s reasonable as far as cost and reliability?

Thanks in advance

Brian

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    And I’m clueless, I’ve been a handgun guy all my life but the bug is biting and I’m looking to get an AR.

What’s reasonable as far as cost and reliability?

Thanks in advance

Brian

The reasonable certainty is that you are about to embark on a journey of 1,000 opinions.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    What do you want to do with it? That makes a huge difference in what the right gun is

Long range competition shooting?

Repelling hordes of alien Invaders?

Can plinking?

Home defense?

Pest control?

There are so many variables in AR 15's that you need to get one suited for your intended use

I wouldn't want to use a competition gun for home defense or vice versa. (And alien defense is useless without the plasma beam accessory that attaches to a bayonette lug)

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I would approach this from a different standpoint; you probably don't know what you want, so buy something that is a good starting point and then you can evolve as you do more shooting at the range. You have two choices, buy a complete rifle or build one up from a stripped lower receiver. Right now, a complete rifle will cost a premium. The advantage of the complete rifle is that you get a rifle that you are 100% sure is MD compliant, because an FFL bears some responsibility in the process. Building up from a lower receiver will let you select premium parts and also lets you do this over time. But you have to make sure you build a legal rifle for the state of Maryland. When building up a rifle, if you buy a complete upper receiver, the build process is pretty simple.

DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    Thanks for the input so far guys, I appreciate it. With the cost of ammo I’m not gonna be shooting it a lot. I think I more want it just to have it if that makes sense. I would definitely take it plinking at the range from time to time but I’m not a hunter

dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    I bought my first long gun in 2012. From 1993 to 2012, I was a handgun owner. My first AR is my LMT CQB. I now have three, the LMT, a Windham Weaponry, and a Colt. Other than the slight difference in looks, all three are 100% reliable.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Windham weaponry is a good option and is one of a few company’s that makes a MD compliant rifle. They were recently in stock for roughly $1000, which is over priced, but everything is right now.

Personally I would avoid Delton and Ruger. I’ve seen enough first hand issues with two Ruger 556 AR’s that I’ll never consider one. I’d rather have a Palmetto State Armory rifle.

And speaking of PSA, this 18 inch HBAR upper is in stock. It’s got an FN cold hammer forged barrel, which is an excellent barrel. I’ve got one of these and so does a friend of mine. Granted, they were around $450 when I bought them in January.

It’s kind of a unicorn since FN really doesn’t have an 18 inch mid length barrel that they sell on their own. With a standard spring and H2 buffer it’s been a great shooter.

If you have someone willing to assemble a lower for you, this might be your best route to “something decent” for under $1000. I’ve had zero issues with the two I’ve handled, both have seen roughly 1k rounds.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...htweight-m-lok-upper-no-bcg-ch-516444448.html

Just make sure you grab a bolt carrier group and charging handle. ALG defense makes a great BCG for roughly $140.

I’ve got many a more expensive rifle but these have proven to be worth it, to me at least.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    "Personally I would avoid Delton and Ruger. I’ve seen enough first hand issues with two Ruger 556 AR’s that I’ll never consider one."

What was wrong with Ruger? Upper or lower?

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    "Personally I would avoid Delton and Ruger. I’ve seen enough first hand issues with two Ruger 556 AR’s that I’ll never consider one."

What was wrong with Ruger? Upper or lower?

Maybe they’ve since changed it, but the lo profile gas blocks they use are pathetic. Approx half the size of a standard low profile gas block. I saw one cant nearly 90 degrees on the first mag, rendering it a bolt action until fixed.

“Always check new rifles before shooting”.... yeah yeah. But something from the factory shouldn’t be that messed up. Once we replaced with a standard gas block it’s run fine ever since.

Second one had an out of spec upper and the barrel was horribly misaligned with the upper m4 feed ramps, causing feeding issues. When I took it apart the upper was just all around junk. The barrel had what I consider way too much play in the upper. I replaced the upper with an Aero upper and all was fine.

The gas block they used was really what got to me though.

Ruger lowers are fine in my experience.

I’ve heard some reputable people on here praise the ruger 556, so this is just my experience.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Maybe they’ve since changed it, but the lo profile gas blocks they use are pathetic. Approx half the size of a standard low profile gas block. I saw one cant nearly 90 degrees on the first mag, rendering it a bolt action until fixed.

“Always check new rifles before shooting”.... yeah yeah. But something from the factory shouldn’t be that messed up. Once we replaced with a standard gas block it’s run fine ever since.

Second one had an out of spec upper and the barrel was horribly misaligned with the upper m4 feed ramps, causing feeding issues. When I took it apart the upper was just all around junk. The barrel had what I consider way too much play in the upper. I replaced the upper with an Aero upper and all was fine.

The gas block they used was really what got to me though.

Ruger lowers are fine in my experience.

I’ve heard some reputable people on here praise the ruger 556, so this is just my experience.

I have had feed issues with certain ammo on a 556

Winchester rounds had feed problems like crazy for me. 1 box...20 rounds...4 misfeeds

Federal....several boxes...no problems

It also cycled smoother after the first hundred or so rounds

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Do your research first: https://www.pewpewtactical.com/ or you will buy more than one AR because you realize you want something else better. Something else is always better when you have enough cash laying around.

Suggest going to a local shop and see some in person, just be aware availability may be sparse right now. When I jumped in for the first time I bought a basic complete built lower (Stag Arms), and a Stag M4 style upper and took it out to shoot. Over time I changed out stock pieces, handguards, rails, optics, and even the color combo changed. Then for my next one I built my first from a stripped lower and sought out an early Colt military upper to mirror the one in pictures of my Dad from Vietnam. I decked that one out with period surplus stock, handguards, grip. Built and sold a few others too, different variations.

It’s the Barbie of firearms, options are endless or just keep stock as you buy it.

DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    Sounds like some shop trips are in store for me, not a bad predicament to be in I suppose

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    Buy a stripped lower and build it yourself. It is very easy to do and plenty of videos on how to build a lower. Make it into a pistol, and then buy items to make it into a rifle as well.

Feb 28, 2013
    Thanks for the input so far guys, I appreciate it. With the cost of ammo I’m not gonna be shooting it a lot. I think I more want it just to have it if that makes sense. I would definitely take it plinking at the range from time to time but I’m not a hunter

Id start with just a basic A3 carbine so you can get a feel for the platform, and if ya find you dont like shootin with irons you can take off the carry handle and throw a red dot or sumptin fancy like that on it

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If you want to get something sooner rather than later, here is a Maryland-legal Windham dissipater carbine and for a reasonable price:
    https://atlanticfirearms.com/products/windham-weaponry-r16da4t-848037036339

And if you decide you don't want the dissipater configuration you can easily change it. Honestly though, I have that same upper receiver group on one of my AR's and I really like it. You will not fond a better deal for $950 plus transfer and shipping.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Daniel defense guy myself ,seems you either like them or are a hater . Definitely pricy I personally never have had an issue with mine .Check out Hanover Armory they stand behind what they build/ sell and my understanding is they are reasonably priced . Don’t own theirs , know guys who do and are very happy with them. Think anything you an get your hands on under a grand is a deal nowadays.JMO

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I don't know whether Daniel Defense or Bravo Company make Maryland compliant stuff but that would be sort of the best in terms of reliability, along with Colt. At least that's the common opinion.

You're not going to find anything reasonably priced right now. If you're desperate to get one now, call around and maybe look for LWRC DI rifle. Made in Maryland, and the fit and finish is EXCELLENT. Expect to pay 1550 but comes with a lot of stuff that you would upgrade anyway. Comes with a pretty good stock, a nice grip, enhanced trigger guard, a really awesome one stage trigger, ambi safety and bolt release, free float handguard, hand stop, qd sling mounts, etc.

Depending on how much you like to accessorize your rifle, the only thing you'll need for sure is sights or an optic.

I'm a fan. And hey, buy local lol.

I don't have any experience with their piston guns, but I have no interest in piston guns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom