• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    I want to install a magazine extension on a Remington 870. The magazine tube has the two dimples to retain the gizmo that the keeps the magazine cap from unthreading. What method do you prefer to remove the dimples: 1. Drill out and finish smooth the inside of the tube with a Dremel or 2. Dive an appropriate size socket in to the tube to iron out the dimples. I know Brownells makes a tool for this but I really didn't want to spend $80 for a one time project if I didn't have to.

What say you?

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    At first I thought you meant the dimples on the cap that fit on the little ball bearing that keep it from unthreading. Now I see you mean the dimples inside the normal tube after my reading comprehension kicked in.

I agree that $80 isn't worth it. But the $80 tool seems geared towards unintentional dents anywhere on the tube...like from dropping it on a rock. That is why it is so long.

I did see this thing though which seems more specifically intended for the retention dents at the top of the tube. And it is only $35.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...ington-12-gauge-sku006000119-75328-44737.aspx

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    At first I thought you meant the dimples on the cap that fit on the little ball bearing that keep it from unthreading. Now I see you mean the dimples inside the normal tube after my reading comprehension kicked in.

I agree that $80 isn't worth it. But the $80 tool seems geared towards unintentional dents anywhere on the tube...like from dropping it on a rock. That is why it is so long.

I did see this thing though which seems more specifically intended for the retention dents at the top of the tube. And it is only $35.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...ington-12-gauge-sku006000119-75328-44737.aspx

Skipjacks:
    Thanks. Just ordered it.
    My Toy

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Too late I suppose, but Dremel takes 5min and free (assuming you have one ;)

True, but the dremel is removing material. The tool should just push the metal back to the proper position without scarring, thinning, or removing the surface treatment.

In fact if the tool description is correct they are deep enough to leave holes if you grind them off. The tool is definitely worth it.

magwell

Mar 19, 2015
    I'm a bit late also but this is what I did to flatten out the dimples on my 870. I purchased a cheap pair of vise grips from Harbor Freight and used a Dremel to shape jaws as shown in the photo attached. With a few squeezes of the tool they flattened out nicely. I didn't like the idea of drilling or grinding them away.

KIMG0751.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom