• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    Arisaka

When I was a teenager someone had given me a Arisaka that had been sawed off and turned into a pistol. No stock, it had rope and tape around the tang for a grip. It also did not have a firing pin. At some point I threw it away. After all, where would a teenager find spare parts for a WWII Japanese rifle in 1977 or 1978? At that point I had never heard of a "Gun Show". Gah, when I think how cheap surplus rifles were back then. (I have seen the ads.)

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Ruger Red Label 20 Gauge. Nice looking and well built but did not fit me well. Beretta A400 Xcel Parallel Target; got a Browning Citori O/U instead which I like better for an all-round clays gun. Mossin M44; a gorgeous laminate stock that is minute of barn. My son has it as a project rifle.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Sad I bought a Mosin Nagant. It was fun to shoot, and amazingly cheap. However it isn't accurate, and it has done nothing but take up space. I currently have two that are completely broken down, with a crate of ammo, and have a very low likelihood of ever being shot again.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Sad I bought a Mosin Nagant. It was fun to shoot, and amazingly cheap. However it isn't accurate, and it has done nothing but take up space. I currently have two that are completely broken down, with a crate of ammo, and have a very low likelihood of ever being shot again.
    I've never understood the love that so may folks have for the Mosin Nagant rifle. I don't know if it's because of their connection to WW II or it's because they used to be so danged cheap, but from where I sit, it seems to me that they are inferior in just about every way to either the M1903A3 or the Geweher/Kar 98. I know a guy who is really into collecting WW II era weapons, and I get that - as a part of that effort, he's picking up everything he can that is reasonably priced that was from that time period, so the Mosin is part of that. he also has an Arisaka, Mauser, Nambu pistol, a legit M1911A1, Garand, Walther P38, etc. Personally, I have never had a desire to own one.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The appeal was because the gun and ammo were so cheap. They were never really good rifles. Most of mine started getting bolt lift issues after a few clips in a session. After the Russian import ban, everything got more expensive, and the appeal was basically gone. I got out of 7.62x54R and have zero regrets.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I've never understood the love that so may folks have for the Mosin Nagant rifle. I don't know if it's because of their connection to WW II or it's because they used to be so danged cheap, but from where I sit, it seems to me that they are inferior in just about every way to either the M1903A3 or the Geweher/Kar 98. I know a guy who is really into collecting WW II era weapons, and I get that - as a part of that effort, he's picking up everything he can that is reasonably priced that was from that time period, so the Mosin is part of that. he also has an Arisaka, Mauser, Nambu pistol, a legit M1911A1, Garand, Walther P38, etc. Personally, I have never had a desire to own one.

Same here. I have NO desire to ever own a Mosin Nagant.
    I feel the same about the SKS and AK-47.

My youngest son.............. loves the Mosin Nagant.
    He's owned several of them, and when he needed some $$$, he's sold them all.

I tell him, "We don't need no Rooskie rifles!" :D

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    One of the most vicious recoiling guns I ever fired was a Mosin carbine...the rifles were designed to be used by uneducated and barely trained conscripts and to work...which they did. They were crudely built in many cases but that was less important than getting them manufactured and onto the battlefield.

If the stocks had been better designed they would be more manageable to shoot. But the Soviets didn't care about that...just get them made and shipped. The T-34 tanks is another example...designed get the job done but were crudely built and crew comfort and efficiency wasn't considered important.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    One of the most vicious recoiling guns I ever fired was a Mosin carbine...the rifles were designed to be used by uneducated and barely trained conscripts and to work...which they did. They were crudely built in many cases but that was less important than getting them manufactured and onto the battlefield.

If the stocks had been better designed they would be more manageable to shoot. But the Soviets didn't care about that...just get them made and shipped. The T-34 tanks is another example...designed get the job done but were crudely built and crew comfort and efficiency wasn't considered important.

Better shoot straight the first time, cuz if you miss you'll have to shoot the damned thing again!

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    The first rifle I ever bought was a chicom SKS missing the stock with a heinous integral scope-base/receiver dust cover. By the time I got it cleaned-up, a ridiculous laminate after-market stock installed, correct dust cover, and a peep sight of all things, I was in waayyyy too much money. I somehow manage not to learn a damn thing without failing miserably first, so I don't regret it, but I get that knot in my stomach every time I see it in the back of the safe.

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    Dumped a Kel-Tec RFB 308 and a Beretta CX4 Storm, 9mm carbine. I've read only great things about both, but when I opened the RFB to clean it, the first thing that came to mind was "VCR guts." There were lots of screws, springs, and tiny white bits of plastic. As for the CX4 Storm, it had a not-last-forever feel about it too. Again, I was probably wrong to not trust them, but I really prefer mostly metal components, and simple breakdowns. Then again, I do love the Tavor and the Kel-Tec KSG, so what do I know.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    When I was a teenager someone had given me a Arisaka that had been sawed off and turned into a pistol. No stock, it had rope and tape around the tang for a grip. It also did not have a firing pin. At some point I threw it away. After all, where would a teenager find spare parts for a WWII Japanese rifle in 1977 or 1978? At that point I had never heard of a "Gun Show". Gah, when I think how cheap surplus rifles were back then. (I have seen the ads.)

You did yourself a favor... it was probably a felony in that configuration. If it started life as a rifle, it remains a rifle even if the stock is removed.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va

I caved after years, nothing special and ugly as a white dog turd. The Bubbaed carbine with 2x scope is far more accurate than the iron sight stock rifle I own. So many BETTER rifles out there but they are what they are.... ugly and they go bang and they killed their share of NAZI's and Americans alike. I didn't lose them in the canoe accident so I hope they keep the gun grabbers happy.

Welder84

Aug 16, 2016
    Central Maryland
    Worst gun by far was my Keltec su-16. I bought the gun brand new and the barrel was bent from the factory. I waited to shoot the rifle for an hour at Myrtle Grove, then wasted a box of ammo and never hit a target (even at 15 yards). Keltec sent me a new rifle. After shooting one magazine thru it the rifle was ridiculously hot (light weight toy). I traded the Keltec for a real gun.
    My favorite firearm is my good Ol Mossberg 500. I have three barrels and can do pretty much everything with it. Happy holidays

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    Remington 870 Express - Fit? Finish? What are those?
    Henry Golden Boy in .17 HMR. Just a weird combination. Was also ammo picky.
    STG-556. Jam o'matic. Junky magazines. Crap mag release. Too high sight rail.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Remington 870 Express - Fit? Finish? What are those?
    Henry Golden Boy in .17 HMR. Just a weird combination. Was also ammo picky.
    STG-556. Jam o'matic. Junky magazines. Crap mag release. Too high sight rail.

Lesson to be learned............ buy PROVEN Quality first. Wingmaster > Express, S&W > RG.

Mondial

Colt .45
    Nov 29, 2018
    Columbia
    The CX4 is a terrific gun. Fun to shoot, reliable and accurate, easy to clean. Sierra Papa sells upgrades for hammer and trigger to make improvements if you think you need it. My favorite until the HK SP5 came along:-)

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have dumped and bought so many of both, that I am not bothered by it anymore. Inanimate tools.
    I'm not inclined to sell guns, although I do have a couple that I'm pretty "eh" about taking to the range or doing anything with.

I have a Walther P99 in 40 S&W - perfectly good gun and perfectly functional, but it usually stays home in place of me taking one of my 1911s, one of my Ruger Blackhawks, my USP 45, or my Sig P226 Mk 25.

I'm not particularly attached to it, but I'm also not particularly fond of it - it's just kind of there. If nothing else, it's a James Bond gun.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Sad I bought Taurus Judge
    Glad to get rid of Taurus Judge traded it for a Mossberg 12 gauge silver addition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom