• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    BTW Grafs has the App case swage kit in stock right now (unless I bought the last one a few minutes ago). No one has had them in stock for a few weeks now. Now I’ve gotta go cancel my back order with Brownell’s (they list it as discontinued now).

lim144

Jan 3, 2014
    So far, swage kit seems to be working for me for small primers. Pretty fast with 5.56 cases. Expanding the case mouth does help but I can do without it just fine. Bullet sizer for .459 arrives next week. Love the little machine.

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    Just got my swage kit and have yet to try it. Are you sorting by headstamp? Or just one setting fits all? Have you tried to prime any of the cases yet?

lim144

Jan 3, 2014
    Just got my swage kit and have yet to try it. Are you sorting by headstamp? Or just one setting fits all? Have you tried to prime any of the cases yet?

I did about a hundred so far. It is a little tight on a couple of them but all prime just fine. I sort by headstand stamp on other brass but not on 5.56

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    So far, swage kit seems to be working for me for small primers. Pretty fast with 5.56 cases. Expanding the case mouth does help but I can do without it just fine. Bullet sizer for .459 arrives next week. Love the little machine.

I picked up the sized decapping rods mentioned in the instructions.

It should help, and the rod to pin is tapered, so it should enter a slightly off center case better, and move it to be centered.

I picked up .22, .30, 3.2-.35 (for 9 mm) and .45.

They are like $3.50 each.

For .22 cal - https://leeprecision.com/22-cal-heavy-duty-guided-decapper.html

All of them - https://leeprecision.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1&keep_https=yes

lim144

Jan 3, 2014
    I picked up the sized decapping rods mentioned in the instructions.

It should help, and the rod to pin is tapered, so it should enter a slightly off center case better, and move it to be centered.

I picked up .22, .30, 3.2-.35 (for 9 mm) and .45.

They are like $3.50 each.

For .22 cal - https://leeprecision.com/22-cal-heavy-duty-guided-decapper.html

All of them - https://leeprecision.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1&keep_https=yes

So.. mine came with that. But I already had 1000 cases deprimed. So I just tried using it without belling the month. It works ok enough. Just occasionally needs to be jiggle.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    So I went through 3K of 357sig brass, one pass on the 40sw carbide die, and a second through the steel 357sig die. It wasn't without issue but definitely made the process much quicker than the lee turret.

I readjusted to start the 223 NATO and followed the ARFCOM article tips posted above, that really helped the rhythm. But one issue I have that I haven't seen mentioned, is my collator just hates the 223 brass. I spend minutes trying to twist and shake the collator to get the brass to drop and I'm usually lucky to get one of the four tubes to fill. The 357sig would drop like butter and I could even fill the collator and they would continue to fill the tubes during processing. But nothing I've tried can get consistent 223 case drops and I'm wondering if the aftermarket collator mentioned is the key ? Any thoughts?

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Design...e-PRO-1000-and-Loadmaster-Press-/324331921262

That is supposed to work better for rifle cases. I'll find out in a week or so.

My "New Design" collator arrived yesterday and seems to be the ticket for 223 (and I presume 300bo) brass. I have the Swager humming and, except for the occasional brass "avalanche" out of the tubes on a 45deg angle, I've gone through about 1000 cases.

One "flaw", I haven't thought of a solution yet, is that sometimes the case being fed into position will "launch" out of the jaws and continue on down the chute. I try to eyeball the approx area in the box where it landed and run about a dozen cases through again, but it's not always reliable. With decapping it was easy to see which one launched, but with swaging, not so much..

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Lee APP on order and shipped from Midway yesterday.
    I"m looking to do 223, 9 and 45ACP.
    I also ordered the Lee swager even though I have an RCBS.
    I also ordered the ebay collator bin

That should get me started. I have LOTS of 223 brass built up. And although I don't need it right away, I"m gearing up to prep brass over the thanksgiving and Christmas holidays as I have some vacation time I need to use or lose. If it rains, I'll be reloading. If its not, I'll be shooting and thus have the need to replenish my reloads :)

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Lee APP on order and shipped from Midway yesterday.
    I"m looking to do 223, 9 and 45ACP.
    I also ordered the Lee swager even though I have an RCBS.
    I also ordered the ebay collator bin

That should get me started. I have LOTS of 223 brass built up. And although I don't need it right away, I"m gearing up to prep brass over the thanksgiving and Christmas holidays as I have some vacation time I need to use or lose. If it rains, I'll be reloading. If its not, I'll be shooting and thus have the need to replenish my reloads :)

Good deal. The APP is great for prepping brass to be loaded at a later time.

I later added the upgraded handle, brass catch bin, and mounting plates if I ever wanted to swap in/out my other lee presses.

Definitely go through the ARFCOM link in post #2, it has a lot of tips and tricks that help out with making the APP run better. (spring rod, slide pusher cut outs, etc.)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Good deal. The APP is great for prepping brass to be loaded at a later time.

I later added the upgraded handle, brass catch bin, and mounting plates if I ever wanted to swap in/out my other lee presses.

Definitely go through the ARFCOM link in post #2, it has a lot of tips and tricks that help out with making the APP run better. (spring rod, slide pusher cut outs, etc.)

Pistol works well, but I had issues with 223/5.56. Even properly lubed and tried a couple different lubes I ripped the rim off about every 40 rounds and had to hammer the case out from a lee sizing die. I didn’t try my Hornady sizing die as those aren’t nearly so easy to remove cases from.

But the App does work wonderfully for swaging primer pockets. I just used my lee classic for resizing. Somewhat slower, but not too horrible for 1400 cases. Well, okay like 900. I ran 500 through the app before giving up. A different sizing die may have made the difference.

And pistol cases it zooms with and no issues sticking.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Pistol works well, but I had issues with 223/5.56. Even properly lubed and tried a couple different lubes I ripped the rim off about every 40 rounds and had to hammer the case out from a lee sizing die. I didn’t try my Hornady sizing die as those aren’t nearly so easy to remove cases from.

But the App does work wonderfully for swaging primer pockets. I just used my lee classic for resizing. Somewhat slower, but not too horrible for 1400 cases. Well, okay like 900. I ran 500 through the app before giving up. A different sizing die may have made the difference.

And pistol cases it zooms with and no issues sticking.

I used my RCBS small base 223 dies and a lanolin spray (dried for 1hr since my bench is in the cool basement) and haven't ripped a rim in over 10gal of brass processed..

YMMV

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Personally, I would not size on an APP.

I look at it as a brass prep tool. So decap and swage.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    I've had no problem resizing spray lubed 223 on a steel RCBS die and unlubed 357sig on a carbide die. I decap-only NATO 5.56 brass because its
    all destined for the chop saw and eventual 300bo conversion, but even then I spray lube and process (resize) the cut brass on the APP with a
    RCBS small base die.

So maybe it's just the RCBS dies that allow this, but I don't understand why that would be ??

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've had no problem resizing spray lubed 223 on a steel RCBS die and unlubed 357sig on a carbide die. I decap-only NATO 5.56 brass because its
    all destined for the chop saw and eventual 300bo conversion, but even then I spray lube and process (resize) the cut brass on the APP with a
    RCBS small base die.

So maybe it's just the RCBS dies that allow this, but I don't understand why that would be ??

Or it could be my lee just proves to be stickier. I’ve tried Hornady one shot lube as well as lanolin spray with similar results. Lanolin seemed to work a little better.

I am not opposed to trying it again at some point. Though with 1400 cases that just need to be swaged now it’ll probably be a couple of years before I try to bulk prep 223/5.56 again. I will try the App for .308/7.62 soon as I’ve got probably 800 cases there I need to prep to start working up loads.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    I'm still on the fence since it was released as I invested in progressives and a bench swager (FA vertical bench swager) for brass prep. I really do like the streamlined swaging feature, but I feel like that's not enough to completely replace my bench swager/justify another equipment purchase. Perhaps what i really want to do is to switch over to the blue side and get a dillon with a sizing die, trimming setup, and swage attachment to mass process 223 and do 300 blackout conversions.

Anyone use the App for sizing cast bullets? I do most of my plainbased sizing operations on my lee turret outfitted with the lee bullet feeder installed along the sizer die where the bullet feeder will feed the casts into the bullet feeder die. Only other thing I can see the app useful is if it would streamline the installation of gas checks as the app sizes bullets upside down, where you can insert a gas check when the bullet falls in the sizing bushing and ram it down, crimping the gascheck to the base and sizing the cast at the same time (currently do this with a lee hand press). This is purely out of speculation on how the mechanism works though, so any insight on this matter would be helpful.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Still working through swaging those primer pockets. Going okay. I finally went back and looked at the tips and took one of them for the 223/5.56 brass. I've been having a hard time getting through more than about 30 pieces before a case or cases will go flying, shot out, drop, whatever. If you take the .223 height block, flip it around for the bullet feeder size, measure a case and then cut it off with a knife or snips. That'll support the case better when it drops so it doesn't sometimes flip/tip out. Still the occasional mess up, but it is more like once every 80-100 rounds I need to go fish a piece of brass off the ground or whatever.

Which at the rate I can yank the handle and feed it is probably 600-800 cases an hour. Maybe even somewhat more. Of course it is has been playing and adjusting with it to get to this point. But I've done about 1000 cases in maybe 2hrs of work. Going to cruise through the last 400 odd this evening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom