• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    It never ceases to amaze me how few people have even a basic first aid kit around when doing outdoor or even around the house activities. And even how few know even basic first aid. Maybe I am paranoid but the ex-boy scout in me mandates I have a well stocked first aid/trauma kit in each car, a full stocked one on each floor of my house and in my shed, as well as in my hiking backpack.

For the last year now I have had much more free time to do some trail walking, fishing, hiking, range time, etc. 3 to 4 times a week

I have had to use my own first aid kit to help others 9 times over that span.

Last one was on Friday a Mid 20's woman with her 8 year old daughter who tripped and scraped up both palms/wrists bad as well as her left knee. The mother freaked out and had NO idea what to do. The kid saw this and was starting to freak out, I had to calm them both down and ended up carrying the kid the roughly mile back to their car.

Had to help someone at Myrtle Grove range mid last year, 3 pieces of brass from the lane next to thems double-double-tap got stuck in someones open toed sandals left a decent burn.

And others while hiking mostly cuts and scrapes. Thankfully nothing major, but all were people completely unprepared and mostly clueless.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I have boo boo kits all over the place. Since I carry, I have 3 dedicated gunshot wound packs around. 1 in the vehicle, 1 in my laptop/edc bag and a floater in the house that I carry out if I go in someone else's car, etc... Sometimes it makes it in the laptop bag too. Even though they have GSW stuff, there are a few small booboo bandaids, etc... in those as well.
    Since I live out in the sticks, I have an AED also. I carry it with me when I travel and take car trips. I also have a major trauma kit in the house, sutures etc... EMS response could be 30 minutes away. And tourniquets? Well, they are all over the place.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I always have my search and rescue bag with me in the trunk... earlier this month when there was an accident beyond my driveway, of course my wife was in my car and on the road... so now I have a new kit that lives in the hall closet for grab and go emergencies.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    As far as knowledge goes, NOLS has decent courses. I have taken their wilderness first aid. Covers pretty much everything except gunshot wounds, because guns r bad.

Wheaton Hills Sportsman

Jan 27, 2012
    For years I have carried a Metro kit, a small bag with a tourniquet, compressed gauze, Quikclot, a big petroleum jelly guaze pad, a flashlight and a N95 mask, because when the train crashes in a burning tunnel you are on your own.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    BTW, there was a great thread on making up a good kit in the Beans and Bullets group.

Complete with links to recommended products

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I don’t have intubation gear in mine yet. Carry a nasal airway.
    In my bigger bag I carry SAM splints and ace wraps.
    They are too big for a pocket bag, but fit nicely in a larger bag.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I don’t have intubation gear in mine yet. Carry a nasal airway.
    In my bigger bag I carry SAM splints and ace wraps.
    They are too big for a pocket bag, but fit nicely in a larger bag.

I think the intubation gear may be overkill. If I need to intubate you on the side of the road you are probably hosed. I have it because there was one in my office for some reason, and we weren't ever using it.....

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    My kit even includes intubation gear.....

Went on a hunting trip to Canada years ago with guys from work. We had those plus iv supplies just in case. Probably illegal up there, but we were all paramedics and didn't care. Easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Went on a hunting trip to Canada years ago with guys from work. We had those plus iv supplies just in case. Probably illegal up there, but we were all paramedics and didn't care. Easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

I have a couple of IV bags, too....:D

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    It never ceases to amaze me how few people have even a basic first aid kit around when doing outdoor or even around the house activities. And even how few know even basic first aid.

And others while hiking mostly cuts and scrapes. Thankfully nothing major, but all were people completely unprepared and mostly clueless.

Welcome to the new America where indoctrinating youth with climate change, gender identity and condemning whiteness is more important than teaching kids firearms safety, how to maintain personal finances, basic first-aid, and reading.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Hey, Docs.....ever practiced or done an intubation on a patient not lying flat on their back?

Saying sitting upright, like trapped in a car....

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    Hey, Docs.....ever practiced or done an intubation on a patient not lying flat on their back?

Not yet.
    After I recover from my up coming back surgery, I will be trying to join the Navy Medical Reserves and hopefully get some more field trauma training.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

I have, not easy. Also intubated a guy in a chair. That was pretty simple....

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I'm terrible about this. I have a pretty good department issued trauma bag; quick clot, Israeli dressing, tourniquets, etc and AED in my cruiser. Living and working in Mo County with the great and large fire department I never think about needing stuff like that. Fireboard is never far and always has the latest and greatest stuff. But when I go shooting on my parents property down in the woods, or traveling down to Florida or Central PA, the resources aren't always that close or well stocked. Thanks for giving me more stuff to spread my precious money on...

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    My wife’s car has an adventure medical trauma kit and tourniquet as well as a stocked boo boo kit (cuts scrapes, burns, bug bite).

In my car I have a get home bag. The trauma kit is on the side, it’s more of a GSW kit (chest seals and some more quick clot). In the front pocket there is a med kit with burn patches, gauge and tape (more of a big boo boo kit). On the inside there is a small kit with bandaids, antibiotic cream, bug bite treatment, liquid bandage etc). My thought process is you have to go in further the less serious it is since you have more time.

Also in my car is a tool kit which has basics bandaids and the like so I don’t have to touch my kit unless it’s serious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom