Whats your favorite non-competition 22LR round for your 10/22?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I know that there are going to be a lot of guys out her that are going to say the CCI mini mags 40gr. and thats ok they are a great round. I just want to hear some other great rounds that people love shooting. Be specific with the details!

I will start us off by saying I have shoot a lot of rounds through my Ruger 10/22 with a tapered barrel and using a Bushnell TRS-25. My favorite round has to be the Federal Auto Match 40gr. Accurate and reliable.

I do however have several other rounds that I have not shoot yet so this could change at some point.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    CCI standard velocity, accurate, reliable, functions in everything, subsonic, suppresses well, and in normal times everyone carries them for < $3/50rd.

CroftonBilly

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2011
    Crofton
    I'd rank Winchester M-22 as my preferred choice behind all the CCI bevy of 22LR options. They were affordable and plentiful in the way way back times of just a few months/years ago.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Its very rare a 10/22 does not like and eat everything. They exist though. Its about as rare as a 10/22 that has NEVER had a dud Remington. Cause if you never had a dud remington golden bullet or thunder dud, you have just not shot enough.
    Minimag 36g
    CCI SV
    Federal Automatch
    Federal Value Pack 36g HP jacketed (I have not had a box of these in years though)

Bull Barrel suppressed and I used to shoot squirrels with CCI Subsonic.
    If I were closer and guarantee head shots, I was shooting CCI quiet suppressed even though I lost the semi auto functionality (which was no big deal)

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    CCI AR Tactical has never failed me in my 10/22. It's the round I was using when I got my Appleseed Rifleman qual.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    For rifles:
    Winchester M22 40gr and Browning BPR 40gr (which I think are one in the same) have been very reliable and accurate in pretty much all of my .22's
    Aguila Super Extra 40gr have also been solid, a few fail-to-fires here and there (maybe 1 in 75 or so)
    Winchester white box (the 222/333/555ct ones) have also been good in my rifles.

Have had terrible luck with Federal Champion and Automatch in most of my 10/22's but work fine in others (fail to extract, stovepipes, etc)

For pistols:
    Aguila Interceptors have been great with all my pistols. Even run nearly 100% in my Sig Mosquito and Walther P22 both of which are very ammo picky.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    For rifles:
    Winchester M22 40gr and Browning BPR 40gr (which I think are one in the same) have been very reliable and accurate in pretty much all of my .22's
    Aguila Super Extra 40gr have also been solid, a few fail-to-fires here and there (maybe 1 in 75 or so)
    Winchester white box (the 222/333/555ct ones) have also been good in my rifles.

Have had terrible luck with Federal Champion and Automatch in most of my 10/22's but work fine in others (fail to extract, stovepipes, etc)

For pistols:
    Aguila Interceptors have been great with all my pistols. Even run nearly 100% in my Sig Mosquito and Walther P22 both of which are very ammo picky.

Interesting...
    I would say 1 in 75 is not very reliable but that is just me. In my last 1000 rounds I have not had one issue. I am using the BX-25 magazines. I clean my gun after every use. I usually shot 500 rounds per outing.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Interesting...
    I would say 1 in 75 is not very reliable but that is just me. In my last 1000 rounds I have not had one issue. I am using the BX-25 magazines. I clean my gun after every use. I usually shot 500 rounds per outing.

With those particular 10/22s when compared to the Federal Automatch/Champion with issues every 20 to 30, 1 in 75 isn't too terrible.

With the Aguila Super Extras its usually a fail to fire, if i re-chamber the rounds and/or rotate them slightly they will usually fire.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    CCI SV is my "standard" practice round. They are accurate enough, very reliable, with few flyers. Some lots are better than others. Fact of life with rimfire. SK Standard Plus is my next step up (I bought it at 9-11 cents a round).

CCI AR Tactical and Minimags, and Federal Black Pack when I want the highest reliability. But accuracy does decline a bit compared to SV.

Federal Automatch used to be a favorite (earned my first Rifleman patch with it) but I find it is very sensitive to moisture - have had whole boxes become VERY failure prone.

For plinking, well, plenty of other options.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    CCI Semi auto quiet. accurate, quiet , and functions in all my Semi auto guns. also gemtech!!

Parshooter

Silent Majority Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    East NC
    Spit out some of my evening cocktail on that...

Its very rare a 10/22 does not like and eat everything. They exist though. Its about as rare as a 10/22 that has NEVER had a dud Remington. Cause if you never had a dud remington golden bullet or thunder dud, you have just not shot enough.
    )

:lol:

This is why I stocked up up up on CCI after the 2013 debacle
    I am only fortunate to have two of these fine rifles. One was the basic cheapest wood stock with threaded barrel that I put a trigger kit, padded recoil buffer, and polished the bottom of the bolt where it strikes the hammer. Cleaned the excess paint from the inside of the receiver and used a little 400 sandpaper to rid it of any drag. It has never failed to fire anything that I have fed it, but as previously mentioned, CCI SV runs nice and quiet:cool:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I did a huge comparison in 2019 and purchased

Lapua Center X
    Lapua Midas+
    Eley Tenex
    Eley Club
    RWS Match
    Federal Target
    Federal Match
    Aguila Super Extra
    CCI Green Tag
    CCI Standard
    CCI Quiet
    Remington Gold

The Lapua Midas+ and Lapua CenterX were the most consistent and accurate but CCI green tag was a close 3rd and CCI Standard Velocity were just behind. I decided to go with Green Tag for matches and I was pretty happy with the results.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Might be a stupid question but is there a situation to use hollow point other than self defense or hunting? I have bought lots over the years but never end up shooting them for some reason. I guess it is because I am always just plinking.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I went a lot of years without a 10/22. Finally bought one just to see what I was missing. For a while there, what I was missing seemed to me to be absolutely nothing.

Long story made shorter, of 8 different rounds I tried, groups ran the gamut from unimpressive to absolute garbage with 6 of them. Then with CCI standard, the rifle became respectable. And much to my surprise, my 10/22 absolutely loves Aguila Super Extra 40 grain RN copper.

I've always found rimfires to have ammunition preferences, but I've never before encountered a rimfire rifle with preferences as pronounced as my 10/22. It was curiousity that made me want to buy it. It wasn't until I (quite by accident) tried the Aguila ammo, that I wanted to keep it.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I think with some common upgrades to the Ruger 10/22 the reliability goes up greatly. Kidd makes some awesome parts. So does Volquartzen. With my current 10/22 and the upgrades I have had 0 issues.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Federal bulk box sorted with a rim thickness gauge. Shoot in groups according to thickness. You can get target (not match) quality performance that way. I size Federal 711B like that and get near match grade performance.

I’ve had good luck with Thunderbolt...all but a brick or two, about two years back...in the last six years.

At one time I would have said anything Winchester. My experience for about seven years has been misfire city, especially the M-22. Even misfires in bolt rifles and Ruger Mk series pistols. The SuperX is not quite as bad but I would never put money on either. I would sell it but times are ammo lean. Just use it for practice and malfunction clearing drills.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Funny thing with 22 rimfire ammo. For everyone who likes a certain brand, there's somebody else who avoids it like the plague. You'll see that even in this thread.

Lots of reasons, but the one that's probably closest to the truth is that good functioning and accurate 22 ammo has always been (and remains) comparatively hard to make. I tend to think that lot number plays more of a role than does brand name. That is, if you find a lot that works, try to buy a large quantity of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom