• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Did some research and found some Elmer Keith type stuff. I want to use them on my 92 rifle, 240 grain jacketed bullets.

I found 17 gr 2400 w/240 gr bullet and 19gr 2400 w/200 gr bullet using a 44 Spc case. I also have a Redhawk that I would feel safe using but I think I'll limit this to a 92 rifle which is a pretty strong action.

Has anyone here played with this formula? If they could supercharge a 44 long Colt I see no reason the same cannot be done on a 44 spc.

I have not seen any data on using W296......

Last edited:

ironhead7544

Oct 27, 2018
    Do a search for Brian Pearce 44 Special.

Be careful that those hot loads do not find their way to the weaker 44 Special revolvers.

I have owned numerous 44 Special revolvers from S&W, Colt, Ruger, Charter Arms and Taurus over the years. It is an excellent revolver cartridge.

The Skeeter loads goes 850 fps from a 3 inch barrel. The Keith loads goes 985 fps from the same barrel.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes ! 17.5gr 2400 went 1200-ish from 7.5 in .

No , never did , nor heard of using 296 for such . Probably because most of the people doing such , were at least partially motivated by nostalgia to walk in Keith's footsteps .

My experience with 4227 in other Big Bore revolvers leads me to suspect it would also work well with .44spl 240- ish . Substitution by weight for classic 2400 loads will yield lower pressures , and be a good starting point .

The modern powder I'd like to experement with for this catagory is AA9 . ( There is precedent of good results with AA9 @ these pressures in the development of the .45Super .)

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Ditto on Brian Pierce's articles. Handloader Magazine 236 August-September 2005. Googling a bit should find a copy of the article. Also see Handloader Feb/March 2018 for 44 Special +P loads.

Please use caution if you decide to exceed SAAMI specs and be very careful that your loads do not find their way into a gun that cannot handle the extra pressure.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    2400 was the Keith favorite for that application as already noted.

I imagine that rifle is chambered in 44 Magnum. Curious why would you build that heavy a load in 44 Special brass when 44 Mag brass is available? Is this the doing it for doing it sake?

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    2400 was the Keith favorite for that application as already noted.

I imagine that rifle is chambered in 44 Magnum. Curious why would you build that heavy a load in 44 Special brass when 44 Mag brass is available? Is this the doing it for doing it sake?

Both actually, I used to load 38 spc to near 357 with unique loads out of my Blackhawk.
    Unique or Bullseye isn't nearly as adequate in the 44 Mag like it is for a 357.

When I first posted I was 44 spc rich, since then I've come across more 44 Mag cases.

I shoot 44 mag out of both rifle and Redhawk so without going full retard nuts no danger to gun or me.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    OR , his .44 rifle is COL limited , and he wanted to load Authentic Keith bullets crimped in the Crimp Groove .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom